Stuck power steering/water pump bolt KILLING me
#740690 September 21st 2018 4:57 pm
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
78 dodge b300 v8

decided to change my v belts for the first time since I bought this thing. this is actually the first mechanical work I've really done at all on this thing. first of all I mistakenly loosened the bolt on the alternator bracket and coolant started dripping out, expectedly, but also fresh oil was dribbling out of the top? what the hell is that about?

got the alternator belt on w no problems, but when I went to crank the power steering pulley adjustment bolt its stuck in there REALLY good. I didn't wanna strip it so I sprayed it with PB blaster for a couple days while I was busy with other stuff, tapped on it a bunch, sprayed again, and it still won't come off. getting very close to stripping it, I torched it and tried to pry it with a breaker bar, in the process slipping and bashing my power steering pump which is now leaking and has to be replaced !! as I was wrenching on it the gasket started dribbling a small amount of coolant as well, so now I gotta pull off the water pump and replace that too! :'(

even worse, I still didn't get the bolt out, and I'm afraid that once I start pulling shit off to do the water and power steering pump everything else is gonna be stuck seized and stripped too and my life is going to be a living hell.

any advice? I tried those grip rite sockets, all they did was strip the head even more. does that bolt go all the way into the block?

Re: Stuck power steering/water pump bolt KILLING me
CREEPING_ERUPTION #740698 September 21st 2018 7:07 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Can you post a picture? There are a few welded nuts on the power steering pump bracket that can look for all the world like a bolt, but actually are solidly welded nuts. I know space is tight under the hood of a mid-Dodge and visibility isn't the greatest with the radiator in place.

Last edited by Reed; September 21st 2018 7:43 pm.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
CREEPING_ERUPTION #740700 September 21st 2018 8:42 pm
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
https://imgur.com/a/A6BZqdg

its gotta be that one, right? its in the little slider channel...

also i found this other pic where it looks like the bolt actually did budge out a little, but I still can't slide the power steering pump down..maybe is there something else I need to loosen?

https://imgur.com/a/ftpbHdd

CREEPING_ERUPTION #740701 September 21st 2018 9:23 pm
<<<< CAUTION>>>>> knuckle buster been there done that !

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
CREEPING_ERUPTION #740709 September 22nd 2018 12:16 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Yup, that's the one that needs to loosen. Unfortunately, it looks like in your application they used one of the water pump mounting bolts to mount the power steering pump (which is odd, but Mid dodge vans are very little space up front, so I guess it is possible). Unfortunately, that is one of the bolts that goes into the water jacket in the block and is prone to rusting up solid on the threads.

I recently did the water pump on my 82 Ramcharger that has a 318. That exact same bolt on my engine rusted up tight into the engine block. I was able to get it out by heating the block around the area where the bolt went in and slowly working it back and forth and eventually out. Unfortunatley, this might turn into a hellacious job for you that woudl involve pulling the grille and radiator for access and completely disassembling the front end.

If you DO manage to get that bolt out, I recommend replacing it and coating the threads on the new bolt with thread sealer (NOT loctite!) and anti-sieze.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)