Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 78 Tradesman 200 work/camper van build
liftarc #739505 August 18th 2018 11:35 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Powder coat quality does vary widely; some is far better at chip resistance, others at weathering from sun and rain. Some isn't very colorfast. There are some, like the Harbor Freight stuff, which decently washes away during extended outdoor exposure.

The springs I got from Espo Springs 'n Things were pretty heavily powder coated, though no effort was made to touch up the spots where the hangers contacted them, which were bare. They're going to see epoxy paint as touch up for sure!

They came banging into each other in the shipping box too, with no form of padding in the box. Perhaps that's par for the course? Shame if it is.

I'm not certain how many flex cycles powder coat on a coil spring might go through before it builds up enough microcracks to allow corrosion to begin. Probably it's a direct function of coating thickness. Same applies to paint; too thick and it wants to peel up like cracked mud. Powder coat is a plastic, so it will flex some, and with few exceptions it's highly non-porous, unlike many paints. I actually like both, though so far powder coat has proven far tougher than the epoxy paint for my undercarriage components.

That being said, I did use heavy coats of epoxy paint on my super rusty original springs after a phosphoric acid bath (they were already messed up anyway...) and it's still intact after multiple years outdoors. There's been very few encounters with rocks though; I mostly avoid back roads.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
liftarc #739512 August 18th 2018 4:01 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Whatever came on my Moog 7272 springs, could be removed with a thumbnail. It was more like sprayed on plastidip than anything resembling a powdercoat, and I actually wished I used that instead of the appliance epoxy.

Ram4ever, your New springs are not yet installed, go dig your thumbnail into them, and I bet you will find some black substance under your fingernail and some bare metal on the coil itself.

And now you get to curse me, as no doubt you will strip your new coil springs of whatever coating was applied, and powder coat them purple.

liftarc #739964 August 30th 2018 6:47 pm
L
liftarc Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I decided to skip the cobbled mismatch of control arms and ball joints and go straight to the 4wd conversion I wanted to do eventually.

I've got a kingpin d60 from a 92 Dodge truck, an A518/NP241 trans and t case from a 92 Dodge Ramcharger and will be building a radius arm setup using parts from Ruffstuff Specialties and Ballistic Fabrication. I will use the Moog springs I just got and modify the Ballistic radius arm mounts to accept their square cut bottoms. I'm planning to use a traditional panhard bar instead of the odd dual panhard setup found on the old Pathfinder conversions. Hoping to keep the shocks inside the coils but we'll see.

I will also fab up an engine x member that will give more clearance for the diff and stiffen the unibody better than the stock unit. Thinking 1/2" plate and 1/4" wall 2x4 rectangle tubing but I haven't got that worked out yet.

I've looked at how Pathfinder used to do their conversions, considered the shortcomings and cost cutting of their production setup, and decided I'd much rather build a one off that is functionally superior than try to track down an old VanCharger and attempt to salvage it's mostly Ford parts.

This should only take forever at the pace I'm able to get crap done back home but parts are in the mail so no turning back now.... worms

75 Plymouth Voyager build in progress: 5.9 Magnum with Demon 4bbl, built 727, al radiator, custom dash, custom kayak/canoe rack, solar/inverter/deep cycle setup, helper airbags, on board air, forklift-proof rear bumper....toolbox hauler/steath camper/long drawn out project.....
liftarc #745039 February 07th 2019 1:29 pm
L
liftarc Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Change of plans on account of the camp fire......

Attached Files 20181205_145719.jpg

75 Plymouth Voyager build in progress: 5.9 Magnum with Demon 4bbl, built 727, al radiator, custom dash, custom kayak/canoe rack, solar/inverter/deep cycle setup, helper airbags, on board air, forklift-proof rear bumper....toolbox hauler/steath camper/long drawn out project.....
liftarc #745040 February 07th 2019 1:36 pm
O
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
O
Wow that sucks! Glad you are OK

1973 Dodge Shorty B-100
1995 Chevy G20 Gladiator

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserve body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and proclaiming

"Wow What a Ride"

Johnny O
"O Vanners" of Connecticut! Since 1982

liftarc #745041 February 07th 2019 2:16 pm
L
liftarc Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Thank you, OVANNER, my family and I just barely got out safely, was a hell of an experience.

New van is a 77 Tradesman B300 with a 2bbl 360 and a 727. Torn between putting in a 440/727 that I already have or a Magnum 360/518 overdrive trans that I don't have.

Anyone have suggestions on pulling a big block from a 77 rv? Thinking I'll have to pull out the core supports and drop the k member to get it out, carcass of rv is scrap....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users