Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 26 1 2 23 24 25 26
Re: Chronicles of a 79 Dodge
my73ss454 #733728 March 05th 2018 3:22 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
No pics, but latest update is some engine work. Especially glad to have rid of the stock voltage regulator, ignition control module, ballast resistor, and EGR timer with a HEI distributor swap. Problem now is the vacuum advance sticks out that it is preventing the dog house to fully seal. I wonder if there is a way to re position the vacuum advance either by taking distributor apart and putting it back in CCW from where it is now, or could I simply install distributor 180 degrees where its now? Thinking easiest thing might be to simply cut the dog house and fab a "pocket" to allow distributor clearance.

Anyway, here is the major replacement parts I installed.

New Edelbrock Intake #2176
New Edelbrock Carb #1406
New Summit GM HEI #SUM-850034
New reman starter from AZ
New Edelbrock 1/2" carb spacer #8724
New 8.5mm plug wires to accommodate HEI #SUM-889005

On to the next project which is dealing with the dog house/distributor issue, and installing a set of headers.

AdSense long
my73ss454 #733731 March 05th 2018 4:24 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Originally Posted by my73ss454
No pics, but latest update is some engine work. Especially glad to have rid of the stock voltage regulator, ignition control module, ballast resistor, and EGR timer with a HEI distributor swap. Problem now is the vacuum advance sticks out that it is preventing the dog house to fully seal. I wonder if there is a way to re position the vacuum advance either by taking distributor apart and putting it back in CCW from where it is now, or could I simply install distributor 180 degrees where its now? Thinking easiest thing might be to simply cut the dog house and fab a "pocket" to allow distributor clearance.

Anyway, here is the major replacement parts I installed.

New Edelbrock Intake #2176
New Edelbrock Carb #1406
New Summit GM HEI #SUM-850034
New reman starter from AZ
New Edelbrock 1/2" carb spacer #8724
New 8.5mm plug wires to accommodate HEI #SUM-889005

On to the next project which is dealing with the dog house/distributor issue, and installing a set of headers.

How and why did you get rid of the stock voltage regulator? If you are running a stock style alternator you need an external voltage regulator. What were your complaints about the original voltage regulator? Also, people who have to pass emissions pay money for those EGR timing units. I'm sure you could find someone in California who would buy it from you.

The easiest and best solution to your distributor clearance problem would have been to not order the large aftermarket HEI distributor and use the stock Mopar distributor and an HEI ignition module. Much cheaper and very simple to install. Your new distributor has an unknown timing advance curve that almost certainly is not optimized for your van.

Given that you have purchased the large body distributor, your clearance issue can be easily solve by rotating the distributor and changing where you plug in the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap. All the rotor does is spin in a circle. The starting point of the firing order is completely arbitrary in relation to the lower distributor body. You just need to make sure the plug wires go in the correct firing order. Cutting and modifying the dog house is really unnecessary.

If I were you, I would return all the HEI stuff you bought to Summit, reinstall your original distributor after cleaning it up, lubing it, and checking the bearings and vacuum advance pod, then switching to an HEI ignition system by just running an HEI module and a relay.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
my73ss454 #733889 March 09th 2018 7:55 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks Reed for the taking the time to share your knowledge and suggestions. I took your opinion and did return all the HEI stuff. The stock distributor (now reinstalled) is a new unit only a few years old anyway. Knowing what I know now, its the best direction. The two issues I had that prompted me to go this route was due to what I found out was a erratic safety neutral switch, and the EGR timer leaking its epoxy stuff all over the place. So, since the safety neutral switch is has been resolved, and I have unplugged the EGR timer due to the new intake no longer having a EGR, ill look further into a HEI module with stock setup. Any known problems that I could be confronted with by unplugging the EGR timer since I no longer have a EGR on the intake?

my73ss454 #733890 March 10th 2018 12:45 am
Maniac
Maniac
Glad to help.. The EGR timer is exactly that- a timer that controlled a vacuum switch that blocked or allowed vacuum to the EGR vacuum circuit. No problem with removing it if you have disabled the EGR itself.

my73ss454 #733895 March 10th 2018 11:36 am
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
www.davessmallbodyheis.com

Best of both worlds here. Send Dave your MOPAR electronic distributor. He'll convert it to GM HEI. And you have a choice of distributor mount or remote mount for the HEI module, which allows firewall mount or you can bring it inside.

Tucson-it's a dry heat...like an oven
my73ss454 #733897 March 10th 2018 12:22 pm
Maniac
Maniac
I don't think that is the best of anything. It sounds like Dave basically sells a high priced version of Pertronix. It looks like he specializes in converting points ignition distributors to HEI electronic ignition. Well, that can be done much cheaper and easier than what he offers. About the only parts of his service that might be worth the money is that he says he rebuilds the distributors (I hope this means checking for worn bearings and shaft) and re fine tunes the timing advance curve for your vehicle. I hope that means he gets your vehicle weight, intended use, engine compression ratio, rear gear ratio, etc... and I don't know how he would tune the vacuum advance without driving your vehicle.

If you use a stock Mopar electronic ignition distributor, there is nothing to convert on the distributor. The factory pickup in the distributor triggers the HEI control module which fires the coil. The benefits of upgrading to HEI are a longer dwell time and more stable spark at higher RPM. Using HEI also allows you to run a hotter coil (most recommend a modern "E-core coil" such as those found on 80s and 90s era Ford products) which in turn leads to a higher voltage spark and the ability to run bigger plug gaps. None of this requires any special modifications to the distributor or spending over $250 to achieve. A well thought out HEI conversion can be done using entirely junkyard purchased items for under $100 if you shop around.

Even curving the distributor is something you can definitely do on your own with cheap and readily available parts.

Like they say, knowledge is power, and in this case it means the power to save money. Dave's service might be fine if you don't know how to do these relatively simple upgrades or just don't have the time, but there are no modifications necessary to a stock Mopar electronic ignition distributor to run HEI. A points distributor, yes, modification is necessary, but there are much cheaper options out there even for that.

my73ss454 #738649 July 24th 2018 2:09 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Holy cow, all my embedded PB pics are displaying!!!

my73ss454 #738672 July 25th 2018 8:58 am
addict
addict
Right on!

my73ss454 #778997 July 16th 2021 11:59 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Took The InnKeeper to the Nats last week. Received second place in the Dodge Mild Custom class. Had a wonderful time, despite the wet weather and other mishaps that occurred. Lots of great vans that was able to be seen in person. Caught up with some old friends and created many new. The creativity, innovation, and generosity is why I'm a vanner and van owner.

Page 25 of 26 1 2 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users