1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Add a second battery...but where to mount it?
#735285 April 19th 2018 9:50 am
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi...I have a 1990 GMC Rally Sport STX van. It has a single battery and I want to add a second one. It has factory A/C so there isn't a lot of room on the other side of the engine compartment. Does anyone have any ideas?

1990 GMC Sport Rally STX 4X4 Monster Van
[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Re: Add a second battery...but where to mount it?
KaijuHunter #735286 April 19th 2018 10:52 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Hi Kai,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a way cool GMC. Love to see some pics.

Just assuming you're looking for a dual engine battery system, and not a house battery in a plastic boat box inside the Van. Lol

Im looking through my factory parts illustration books for an auxiliary battery location. Just wanted to letcha know. I haven't found it yet, but I think there might possibly be a dual battery application for a diesel? I seem to remember seeing a battery located underneath. Lot of real estate under there, in my EXT anyway. I'm thinking about mounting a box underneath for a house battery. Jegs, and Summit Racing make fancy ones, butt ugly and cheap works fine for me...

Good hunting Kai, and Van On!

BBC Blue
1990 Chevy G30 L19 7.4 EXT
Church Van, maternity division

DogVan
1988 Dodge B250
LA series 318 Wedge 5.2 TBI A500

Cabin Cruiser
'94 Dodge B350 www.xplorermotorhome.com/
Xplorer MH model 230
230 hp LA series 360 Wedge MPI 5.9 A518 OD auto

Old vans are getting pricey!
Wedgy #735290 April 19th 2018 11:37 am
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks! I'll keep looking too!

[Linked Image]
KaijuHunter #735297 April 19th 2018 5:18 pm
journeyman
journeyman
I don't know about a '90, but the newer GMs mount it on the frame(as in outside), under the drivers seat. It then easily connects to the system fuse panel under the seat(inside).

Einstein, when describing radio said "Wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in NY and he meows in LA. And radio works the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
KaijuHunter #735638 April 27th 2018 5:03 pm
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I actually had the battery give me some problems the other day. If/when I add a second battery it will be in the back of the van. That way if I'm parked in a parking lot I can get a jump start with the rear battery or the front. Will probably use an AGM battery mounted inside an RV battery box.

[Linked Image]
KaijuHunter #735772 May 01st 2018 1:24 am
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
You could mount BOTH batteries in a box mounted under the body, to the frame rail, run longer battery cable to reach the starter and alternator, and also add to “jump start lugs” in the passenger side foot well, towards the rear tire so it is out of the way 95% or more of the time.

I seam to recall someone here did a thread on a set up like that, but has been awhile now....

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
KaijuHunter #735786 May 01st 2018 3:17 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
I can fit two group 27 batteries under my body behind drivers seat.

At one point I carried 2 there and one in my engine compartment. Not soon enough, realized that I never needed that much battery capacity, then downsized to one group 27 and one group 31.

When the group 31 got weak and one cell was heating abnormally on the bottom when charging, I removed it and had only on Northstar Group 27 AGM for starting and engine.

Next month, it will have been my only battery for house loads and engine starting, for 3 full years and is approaching 700 deep cycles and in November will be 5 years old.

But I have a shunted battery monitor that lets me see how much capacity I take and return to the battery.

It takes about 11 feet of cabling to reach from my alternator (+) output stud to the underbody battery.

The quality of the cable terminations is often overlooked or perhaps not considered, but they play a huge part in how effective it recharges, and how safe it is.

Properly terminating battery cables cannot be done with vice grips and the hammer crimpers also have a suspect electrical connection.

While one need not go to ABYC standards for battery cables, the following is a good read on the correct way to make battery cables:

https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/

This outfit makes custom cables for a better price and from much better components than you will find in auto parts stores:

http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables

Most people will charge the secondary battery through some sort of isolation device which takes power from engine battery, but the stock alternator circuit to engine battery was never intended to have an additional depleted battery tacked onto the end of that circuit, and it acts like an electrical bottle neck severly slowing charging.

There should also be 2 new fuses installed in the tacked on circuit, each one withing a few inches of battery terminals.

if one takes power for second battery from alternator (+) stud, only one extra fuse is required, and the circuit is usually much shorter. Leading to more effective charging while underway.

But NO vehicles voltage regulator is designed to reharge a depleted additional battery quickly, or even fully.

Get a plug in charger and use it whenever you get home from an outing, even if the drive home was 6 hours.

For Lead acid battery longevity, it is best to always recharge to a true 100% recharge asap, and your alternator will NOT do that.

charging from 80% charged to 100% charged takes no less than 3.5 hours, and that is when the battery is brough upto the mid 14v range. Most systems will drop to the mid to upper 13's volt range after a few minutes and charging slows by 2/3rds at this lesser electrical pressure.

One never really knows how much battery capacity is remaining, until it can no longer power what they need. If their needs are low they might never know until the abused battery shorts a cell.

It sucks when one is takes by surprise with a failed battery from lack of proper and prompt recharging, and alternator only recharging is a guarantee that the depleted battery is never properly or fully recharged.

KaijuHunter #735788 May 01st 2018 4:57 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Wow, thanks wrcsixeight! Loads of GREAT info there. Thanks for sharing!

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
KaijuHunter #746515 March 23rd 2019 8:59 am
old hand
old hand
wrcsixeight, I have a question...you say that a 6 hr ride won't fully charge the extra battery and it should be charged from a 110v plug in unit when home. Should the extra battery be disconnected from the isolator while charging at home??

Keep Vanning Alive!!

Buddy LeSage

Certified Beer Geek
Truckers Unlimited
Host of the late,great PA Dutch Truck-Ins, '70's, '80s, '90s
Founder of the PennsylVANia Van Council
Host of SUMMERSET Truck-Ins '95 thru '07
Co-Chairman 24th National Truck-In, Lebanon, PA 1996
NATZ "Beer Bus" Captain 1999,2000,2005
Former Member of Performance, Inc. & Mill's Van Club
Keystone Madness '93 & '94
Mill's Van Club St. Patty's Day Party 1994-97

Initiated Mill's Van Club & Borderline Van Blessing 1999-2001
AS A NON PROFIT CHARITY FUNDRAISER

"...Enjoy every sandwich..." the late, great Warren Zevon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747