Page 1 of 2 1 2
steering not returning to center
#735240 April 18th 2018 12:02 am
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
1975 Dodge B100 here. Non-tilt. The steering wheel won't return to center while driving. I've only driven it a couple times before I replaced (and continue to replace) lots of parts, as I bought this girl not running back in December and it's my first van. OK, NEW steering gear, drag link, ball joints, control arm bushings, shocks, tires, rotors, calipers/pads, brake hoses, GRANT steering wheel, and paid for an alignment job. With drag link disconnected from steering arm- tires and tie rods, ball joints move nice, no binding. Still disconnected drag link- I feel the steering wheel is hard to turn while engine is running, harder than my old steering gear, plus when engine is OFF, if the steering wheel is turned back and forth rapidly, a clunk can be heard coming from steering gear and I feel this is not normal, lol. I've bled the system repeatedly. The pump is quiet, and not leaking, no aeration in fluid. I feel I have a bad steering gear that needs warrantied but I'm open to your guys thoughts please, sorry for the lengthy post, I'm trying to not forget anything. I did try and adjust the Sector, but it seems that is only for steering wheel free play?? as it didn't change the effort needed to turn the steering wheel, only the "slack" Again, my main concern is ZERO return to center of steering wheel while driving. No binding, no unusual noises either. Tires full of air too, lol. Bad steering gear is prognosis and thanks in advance, fellas!! -JD
:

1975 Dodge B100 shorty. 318, 3/tree
Re: steering not returning to center
jason159 #735247 April 18th 2018 3:09 am
journeyman
journeyman
Sounds like the gear box. It is a new "rebuilt" box?, by whom? Did you buy one from a local source?, shipping can get costly. Should be able to get a new one under replacement warranty and try again! I think when you adjusted the sector it tightened everything up. Did you lose any free-play? Had the same issue with my 1972 B200 original box, very sloppy!!!! Tightened the adjuster and lost some free-play, but would not return to center. Never tried to re-adjust mine, but seen somebody adjusted theirs with the wheels turned as to not over-tighten when turning, but again I have NO FIRSTHAND knowledge if this works!!! I have heard many folks complain about re-built boxes! Most say they need adjusting right from the box. Replaced mine with a rebuilt one from a yard(still had rebuild paper sticker) Still has too much slop,(way better) but did not adjust anything. Going to take my original box to SteerandGear in Columbus for a rebuild. Asked on here earlier and no one replied about these guys, but hear great things from local Mopar guys, many people here recommend Redhead gear boxes. We'll know soon. I'll keep you posted!!

jason159 #735249 April 18th 2018 7:06 am
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I put so many of these in I became an expert indy pit stop crew .
Let's see 3 from Auto Zone NONE would return to center.
3 from O'reilly's None would center 2 were locked up and wouldn't even turn at all.. 2 From Advanced both Flipped to full right or left in a turn. Almost wreaked the van .
Only acceptable one was from Napa. Didin;'t center perfect but 10 times better than ALL the rest and seems to have gotten better as it took sometime to break in.

jason159 #735250 April 18th 2018 7:06 am
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Good luck next time I would just have the original one rebuilt by either company mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Jerry_XtraVanTastic; April 18th 2018 7:08 am.
jason159 #735258 April 18th 2018 8:27 am
M
veteran
veteran
M
The clunk you hear is probably at the rag joint where the steering sector shaft connects to the steering box. Was the pitman arm installed in the correct position on the new box. You can adjust the pressure on the steering box, but is a very delicate procedure. Loosen the 2 bolts on top of the box and move the plate a hair to distribute the fluid pressure on the gear. I did this on a 78 Cordoba years ago that wouldn't return to center and it fixed the problem. You may want to have the alignment shop take another look at it.

jason159 #735261 April 18th 2018 11:16 am
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Thanks guys. This was a refurbished part from Advance Auto. Im going there today to hopefully get another one coming and hope for the best or perhaps consider Napa as I like them. If this doesn't fix me I'll be having to think of plan B. In the meantime I'll investigate the places mentioned for a rebuild as well. Thanks.

jason159 #735272 April 18th 2018 8:06 pm
Vanner
Vanner
Not to scare you but inspect the area where the steering box is bolted to the frame . The frame tends to crack there . While underneath with a lite look at the box with engine off and have someone rock the wheel to see what's moving ...hopefully it's only the arm. Good luck.

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
jason159 #735274 April 18th 2018 10:13 pm
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
So today I put on a different gear box, from O'reilys, as Advance did not have one at the home warehouse to even order. Same price, I'll return the old one. Keep in mind this, again is a reman gear box, but new in the box. Got her in, fill and bled it, drove it. It does steer easy as it should. As far as retuning to center....left turns, its trying lol. Not great but it is trying. Right turns, not at all. Pretty bummed but I'm buying the cheap stuff. At this point I'm thinking probably have to send her to a professional next winter and let them do their thing...unless anyone has a better suggestion. I may play with the sector ever so slightly. Thanks for your input. JD
Doc 2% I'll investigate, thank you!
Meanmachine, thankfully the new gearbox does not clunk.

jason159 #735277 April 18th 2018 10:24 pm
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Aaaaaand I just sent looked at Steerandgear.com and sent an email , lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747