by MufflerMan Mike - March 27th 2024 5:15 pm
1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cragar SS.. It shouldn't be this hard. Typical overthinking post by yours truly.
#734188 March 21st 2018 9:59 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The original plan was to go with Wheel Vintiques 10" version of the truck rally wheel for the back to match my 8" fronts, but since they are now a year backordered, I will be forced to go another way.

Coming from the tuner/import world, I am no stranger to wheel fitment, backspacing, and offsets, so I sort of know what I'm doing, but I keep running into the problem where when I find a wheel for either the front or back that I like, Then I can't find the correct offset for the other end.. I've been using Summit's site mostly since it is very comprehensive when it comes to searching.

I figured I would just keep it simple and go with Cragar SS. I love the way they look and they should be readily available and have no fitment problems.

Also prefer direct drill because unilug scares me.. But more on that later.

Starting at the back. 15x10, 5x5 bolt pattern. 4.25" backspacing (The 8" rally wheels I have now have 4" backspacing so these should be fine. 0.5" extra on the inside, and 1.5" on the outside. Great!).

Link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-61c515042/overview/

Now for the front, change the search to 15x8 and it gives me these linked below: 15x8, 5x5 bolt pattern, 4.25" backspacing..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-61c585042/overview/

Now here is where I start to get concerned. These show having a 4.25" backspacing. The current 8" rally wheels supposedly have a 4" backspacing and the wheel is VERY close to the lower control arm. I am very certain that an extra 0.25" of BS would be a clearance issue. Plus I was hoping that I might be able to find them with a 3.5" BS to make the track a little wider anyways (running flares now). Unfortunately it does not seem like they offer with 3.5" BS even if I look at the unilug versions. The next step wider is 2.5" backspace which would stick them way too far out. I see Cragar SS on lowered G20 vans all the time and they all seem to fit and look good. What in the world are you guys running for front backspacing??

I thought for a minute about maybe running a 0.5" or 0.75" spacer up front with the 4.25" BS wheels, but I'm worried about running spacers on such a heavy vehicle. I've done it on cars before, but only used "Hubcentric" spacers which have a centering ring to help keep the stress off the wheel studs and prevent vibration.. Well for 5x5" spacers, most of them do not have the centering ring.. No bueno.

On the same topic about Center bore: The back wheels that I linked to on Summit's website show having 3.580" center bore. Well from what I can find online, my 1985 G20 should have a 78.3mm (3.08") center bore. With normal smaller car wheels, you can get a "centering ring" based on the difference in wheel vs hub diameter and it will fit snugly between the hub and wheel bore to keep everything concentric. Unfortunately I can find nothing of the sort for this application. Do you guys just go without and let the lug nuts do the centering? I do a bit of towing and would really like to keep things as simple and solid as possible..

-Help me out here.. Am I just overthinking all of this?

-I see vans all the time on here with these wheels that look great and I don't find any reported issues.

-What are other good wheel sources or brands I should look at? I'm well versed in car wheels, but finding truck/muscle car/classic wheels is new to me and I'm finding the fitment options to be severely limited

Last edited by tuner4life; March 21st 2018 10:05 am.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cragar SS.. It shouldn't be this hard. Typical overthinking post by yours truly.
tuner4life #734191 March 21st 2018 12:08 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
I have a pair of Wheel Vintiques 10" rallys from the rear of our GMC that I removed to go with 8". I now have 8" rear and 5.5" front with the fronts having slight positive offset.
If I was at home I could get you the part#s from Summit. We're goofing off down in Florida for a few weeks.
I brought the 10" to look cool and put on BFG 275/60's.
I wasn't happy at all with the BFG's. They were soft as a babies butt and (at 35psi max) wearing mostly in the center. I went to 8" in order to find and run an LT tire that would feel more substantial. The BFG's just felt a little too swishy/mushy in the mountain corners (if that makes sense?).
The 5.5" on the front were because I cannot stand tire-to-fender contact and (at 3" dropped) I wanted to run as large a tire (and an LT) as would comfortably fit.
I now have Michelin's all around and with 45psi and a strong sidewall I feel much better. cool
Current pic:
[Linked Image]

We ran US Supremes for a while but I grew tired of the up-keep of the chrome wheels on our little travelling van. I still have the 10" ralleys. They're in the garage with the 275/60 BFG's still on 'em. Shipping would be a bear...... eek
Here's the only pic I could find on this laptop with the 10" ralleys.......
[Linked Image]

Sorry, didn't mean to change the subject......... blush

Last edited by CatFish; March 21st 2018 12:16 pm.
Re: Cragar SS.. It shouldn't be this hard. Typical overthinking post by yours truly.
tuner4life #734193 March 21st 2018 12:23 pm
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Great thread Tuner. I started the same one on facebook. 1971-1979 van only.
I can find 4.75 cragars all day long, cheap!

I've considered conversion spacers. They do add 1.5" so a deep BS would be fine.
I'm not going to anything until i get to a meet or the nats to get specific info.
No sense in reinventing the wheel (no pun intended).

let stay in touch. the answer is out there.

tuner4life #734194 March 21st 2018 12:50 pm
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Catfish, your van is the one that inspired me to pursue the 10" wheel Vintiques rallys! I believe we have previously discussed the drawbacks you mentioned here as well.. I just can't bring myself to go narrow at this point, especially with the flares already in the equation. Your van still looks plenty good with the narrower setup! I've just had a vision in my head of what this should look like, and 10" wheels are a must for me at this point.

As for the tires. I got Cooper Cobras for the front on the 8" wheels and I love them. Granted, they went on the same time as a bunch of chassis upgrades, but that is what I was planning on running in the rear too.

My offer still stands to buy your 10"s if you want to let them go and we can figure out bringing them home.. You gonna be at the Nats?

Lettercraft. I believe there are wheels out there that will work just fine (look at all of the beautiful vans on here running these wheels) There are solutions, I just can;t seem to find my way to them.. I'm just not used to having such limited fitment options. Shoot, most of the wheels I'm used to buying are available in 5mm offset increments. The Cragars I have found go about 1.5" at a time lol. We'll get it figured out.

Last edited by tuner4life; March 21st 2018 12:54 pm.

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #734195 March 21st 2018 1:14 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Originally Posted by tuner4life
Catfish, your van is the one that inspired me to pursue the 10" wheel Vintiques rallys! I believe we have previously discussed the drawbacks you mentioned here as well..
My offer still stands to buy your 10"s if you want to let them go and we can figure out bringing them home.. You gonna be at the Nats?

I forgot about that. (Old Guy Syndrome)
Send me an offer and we'll figure out something as I need the room. We won't be home till sometime around the first of the month.

tuner4life #734214 March 22nd 2018 8:49 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It looks like I can get Torque Thrust 2s in the exact specs that I want, however, they are significantly more than some of the other options I was looking at..

Front: 15x8 - 3.75" offset

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-vn5055873/overview/

Rear: 15x10 - 4.5" offset

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-vn405517345/overview/

Still on the lookout for other options. I have time.

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #734242 March 23rd 2018 7:47 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Optimistic update.. While Summit is showing a January/2019 ship date for the Wheel Vintiques 42 series 15x10 wheels.. Jegs shows that they can ship them by mid May.. I've placed an order through Jegs. Hopefully their info is legit.

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #734286 March 24th 2018 2:52 am
enthusiast
enthusiast
Early cragars are the way to go if u can find them . Mine are 5 on 5

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
tuner4life #734287 March 24th 2018 7:51 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What is the backspacing on your fronts though?

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users