Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rusted bolts
#732792 February 06th 2018 8:51 pm
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Once warmer weather comes around I'd like to see if I can get the intake/exhaust manifolds off. 1- to fix an exhaust leak and 2-id like to put an intake for a 2 barrel on. But given that all the studs are a bit rusted, any ideas for breaking them loose with out breaking them? Will penetrating oil be enough? Just looking for advice from anyone that's taken theirs off.

Re: Rusted bolts
pockets #732794 February 06th 2018 9:16 pm
M
veteran
Online Content
veteran
M
Heat them with a torch. I mostly let exhaust work to the garage, where they have a lift and can get properly underneath to work.

Last edited by Meanmachine; February 06th 2018 9:18 pm. Reason: sp
pockets #732807 February 07th 2018 12:31 am
I have broken a few in the past if you would like to know what not to do.

Now I soak them for a few days with penetrating oil replenishing the oil every day, then torch heat them and pray.

1979 Dodge B200 wrangler factory authorized van conversion.
360 cid 727 auto trans NP203 full time 4 wd
pockets #732837 February 07th 2018 4:18 pm
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'll have to start spraying now so maybe when I get to them, they will come off with no problem. But just in case I did find a remanufactured slant six head. I may just go with a "new" head anyways just to make things easier and quicker. Its all gonna come down to money. Can't do it all at once so little by little. And being my daily driver makes it a little harder.

pockets #732839 February 07th 2018 6:02 pm
Maniac
Maniac
I have been playing with slant sixes for about 25 years now (boy, that makes me feel old). The manifold to head nuts that go on the studs should come off pretty easy. Just plan on the three bolts that hold the two manifolds together breaking. No way around it. You can try soaking the bolts/nuts with Kroil or PB Blaster or Knock 'Er Loose for a few days and then use a torch to heat the nuts, but those bolts are brittle after all these years and heat cycles. Even if they don't break, you should replace them anyway.

For good manifold installation tips, see here: http://www.slantsix.org/articles/manifold-install/types-mounting.htm

For a discussion about replacing those bolts that are going to break, see here for some options:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewt...lit=bolts+hardware+thread+source#p288250

The only gaskets worth considering for the exhaust to intake manifold junction are Remflex gaskets: http://catalog.remflex.com/product_p/6008b.htm

Remflex exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold gaskets are good, too.

If you are considering getting a new head, I highly recommend you get a mid 70s era head and get it rebuilt but pay the shop to do some mild port cleanup. If you are going as far as getting the head rebuilt, you would also be wise to get the head milled to increase your DYNAMIC (NOT STATIC) compression ratio to around 8.1:1 to 8.3:1. Any decent machine shop should know how to do this, or you can head over to slantsix.org and search for discussions of how to calculate it.

Even if you keep your stock cam, increasing the compression will make your van much more fun to drive and increase both economy and performance. Increasing our exhaust size to 2 1/4 inch pipe also helps a bunch, especially if you go to a two barrel carb.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
pockets #732841 February 07th 2018 6:28 pm
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Old...never....well at least not until your body reminds you of how you can't do that anymore. Remember, just cause you could do it when you were 17 doesn't mean you can do it now. Thanks for the info Reed. Hopefully things work out. Not having to replace the head would save some money but I'm trying to work a replacement in the budget just as a backup. Better to have some "oh crap" money set aside.

pockets #732845 February 07th 2018 8:19 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Too bad you are so far away. There are a bunch of slant six parts, even complete super six setups on the Seattle craigslist right now. You know, you should put a want ad over on www.slantsix.org There are some hard-core east coast slanters who might either have a head they would sell you cheap or know where to get one. I think there is even an active New England Slant Six Club of America.

To be honest, I would recommend pulling the head you have and reworking it. That way you can do all the measurements necessary to calculate how much it should be milled to achieve the ideal dynamic compression ratio. If you can pull the head and manifolds as a unit you will have much better access to all the bolts to remove the manifolds, too. I know your van is your daily driver, but if you can work it I would get your current head rebuilt.

Say, if your van has air injection into the head or if it has the port on the back of the head for air injection but has the little cap over the port, then Rockauto has ONE rebuilt slant six cylinder head for sale for $330 with core charge plus shipping. That is a pretty good deal! FAMOUS BRAND part number 2D12. Doesn't come with gaskets, but comes with valves and springs installed. However, you will need a pre 1981 valve cover for it to work.

Last edited by Reed; February 07th 2018 8:20 pm.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
pockets #732846 February 07th 2018 8:47 pm
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
No air injection or cap. I am having a difficult time finding a stock 2 barrel setup. I know they're out there but I have some time to look. A set of headers and intake would be nice but not sure what the performance gain would be on a slant six. I know Clifford performance makes an intake/header combo but have heard mixed results on their products and customer service. If when the time comes and I am unable to locate anything I may just clean up what I have and put a gasket on and stick with the 1 barrel. Once it gets closer I'll look into putting a wanted add up and see what pops up.

pockets #732854 February 07th 2018 10:11 pm
I agree with Reed, you should replace the bolts, I usually replace any bolts that are stressed as much as header bolts and I usually replace bolts that need a correct torque setting, such as head bolts, especially in older vehicles that have probably been over torqued a number of times.

It is so much easier to replace them if you do not break them off.

1979 Dodge B200 wrangler factory authorized van conversion.
360 cid 727 auto trans NP203 full time 4 wd
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 14 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530