Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Slant six oil pan
#732383 January 27th 2018 2:24 pm
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So once the warmer weather comes back around, whenever that is, I'm going to have to put a new gasket on the slant six. Going to replace the leaky rear main seal as well. Question is can I get the pan off with out having to jack the engine up? I've hard it can be done but I may have to rotate the crank while doing it and that's fine by me, but I want to know if it's possible or not.

Re: Slant six oil pan
pockets #732390 January 27th 2018 8:17 pm
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
How do you know the rear main is leaking?

Tucson-it's a dry heat...like an oven
pockets #732427 January 27th 2018 11:55 pm
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Let's just say you can tell where I've been parking lately. laugh The pan actually doesn't even have a gasket at the moment. The previous owners had a mechanic that did their work. I think he may have been a little cheap cause he only put silicon on and not a gasket. And sence I'm going to be in there I might as well change the main seal too. I had to put a gasket on the valve cover cause he did the same thing there. This is why I do my own work. There are good mechanics out there but finding them is getting harder. Plus the more you do yourself the more you learn.

pockets #732428 January 28th 2018 12:04 am
Maniac
Maniac
In a van? No problem. You can even pull small block oil pans in a van without disturbing the motor mounts, provided you have true dual exhaust. I have done both in a van.

You may wish to give this article a read: http://www.slantsix.org/articles/gasket-sealing/oil-pan-seal.htm

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
pockets #732429 January 28th 2018 12:06 am
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Personally, I would douche off the pan and adjoining area real ,REAL good. They start the van and let it idle for 20 -30 minutes. Take a good up close look. If the pan is still dry , it's just the pan gasket. If it is wet, well , then the rear main is leaking. Don't jump to conclusions

Tucson-it's a dry heat...like an oven
pockets #732431 January 28th 2018 1:04 am
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the info Reed. Hasan- I've actually been watching it leak for a while now. It wasn't too bad before, but now it's to the point where I have to do something about it. And I'm usually one of those that figures I'm here so might as well do this and that too while I'm here. This way I know it's done and one less thing to worry about. But I understand what you're saying.

pockets #732446 January 28th 2018 4:10 pm
W
veteran
Online Content
veteran
W
Hey pockets,

Yeah, that's pretty bad mechanicing, not installing a valve cover gasket, let alone not installing a pan gasket. I'll bet you can tell where you park...

A failed siliconed diff cover seal sidelined one of my trips last year.
Factory installation. Again? IDFTS...

I reassembled it with a gasket and high quality Permatex. I doesn't leak.

Good wrenching on/under it! Ha!
Van On!

pockets #732467 January 29th 2018 9:40 am
pockets Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks Wedgy. Ya I thought it was pretty cheep not using a gasket, especially because they are only a few bucks themselves. Should have seen my face when I pulled the valve cover off and no gasket, who does that. That's when I took a second look at the oil pan and bam, no gasket. I also found some loose pan bolts which slowed down the leak once I snugged them up. Gonna have to check the pan good for shape when I pull it off.

pockets #733912 March 11th 2018 9:17 am
K
stranger
stranger
K
Hi pockets, have You done the seal/gasket job yet? If not, here some information . I did the rear main seal/oil pan gasket-job fall 2016. The reason was the Niagara of engine oil flowing from the back of the engine. Hence the slant six is in a van, the only thing is to jack the front end of the vehicle 4" higher, so You get enough clearance when reinstalling the oil pan.

The rear main seal is a piece of cake. Do not forget those little plastic tubes which center the lower support bracket. Follow the instructions and You are done in less than an hour. Apply Permatex (or similar) as said in the instructions, be careful with those small plastic/rubber pieces.

The oil pan seal was more P.I.T.A for me. The standard Fel-Pro version consists of 4 pieces: cork type sides and then those nearly good formed rubber end pieces.

The first fault i did was that i followed instructions from Haynes Repair Manual which gave a double torque (200 in.lbs) for the bolts. The gasket bulged out.

After a weeks thinking i read the gasket manufactuters instructions and found out that excessive torque was the cause. I consulted my son and he helped with the project. We used Plastic Padding Gasket and carefully placed the gasket parts on the pan and installed. The tightening went as follows (sorry: values in NewtonMeters): First round with 5 nm, then 6 nm, then 8 nm, then 10 nm. Last tightening 11 nm which was the torque value in the Fel-Pro-instructions. I let it rest overnight and re-Torqued the next Sunday with 11 nm. The ends were tight, the sides could be tightened very little. The Fel-Pro instructions say the tightening torque should be 100 in.lbs (which is equivalent to 11,29 nm).

After that procedure the slantvan does not mark parking areas that much and the oil consumption is much less.

Best Regards

KajS with '86 #slantvan

Finland, Europe

Last edited by KajS; March 11th 2018 1:17 pm.

"Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
It's still rock and roll to me"

Dodge Ram Van B250 Royal '86 w. SlantSix
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod