1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Replacing OEM steering Coupler with U joint !!!! PICS!!!
wrcsixeight #729219 October 24th 2017 2:30 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Lets all present a middle finger to Photobucket, and all the threads they made useless with their moneygrab.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wrcsixeight; October 24th 2017 2:37 am.
wrcsixeight #729220 October 24th 2017 2:34 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think those are all the pics I included in the original posts. Not sure why the dog is showing up. The pic I linked was the original condition of the SC without the boot.

Been a long time since I;ve done this. No issues with the modification. The reman'd steering gear is stil a sloppy POS. Still cannot justify the cost of a Redhead + core charge since they will not accept mine since I drilled the hole for the set screw.

Last edited by wrcsixeight; October 24th 2017 2:44 am.
wrcsixeight #729238 October 24th 2017 11:14 am
Excellent Excellent Excellent .... what a good write up 68 !

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
wrcsixeight #729308 October 26th 2017 10:09 am
I
stranger
stranger
I
GREAT STUFF WRC
I have a recently picked up a '90 B350 without telescoping. Would I be able to just buy the coupler and slide it over the current shaft?

wrcsixeight #729312 October 26th 2017 11:12 am
Welcome to the site INideaman ...

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
frscke1 #729510 November 02nd 2017 7:18 am
I
stranger
stranger
I
Thank You, learning a lot more about "Death Wobbles" then I ever wanted to know.

IMNideaman #729547 November 03rd 2017 3:10 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
The actual steering column, even on a van only a year from mine, could be way different. I once tried to help someone whose steering gear was apparently way different than my own, and whose steering column was also different, and it was only a year or 2 difference in model years.
They were in Europe though, and could have had a different steering column from what comes with north american vans. I do not know and am uncomfortable saying this is for sure that and to do it this way.

I could not just have cut the original DD shaft from column, and gotten it to fit in the flaming river steering coupler that I employed. A little more length would have been required, if my memory serves right.

My steering column needed a new DD shaft to employ the linked coupler. I cannot speak to other model years, but if your steering coupler looks like mine did, it should be able to accept a new ~18$ 3/4" DD steering shaft which should mate easily with the flaming river U joint linked to back in the early days of this thread many years ago.

It has really been a long time since I expended any brain cells on this modification, I reposted the pics after getting a request via PM to do so since photobucket did their moneygrab, and I deleted my account there and told them what I think of them as I imagine many others did, and now I use Picload.org.

I've no regrets from the modification, other than the reman'd loose as a goose Apsco steering gear, but at least it does not leak PSF. My PS pump did start leaking but Lucas powersteering fix stopped it completely and I just now remembered it did once leak. I bought a PS pump rebuilding kit long ago, but it no longer leaks, so that s that, for now.

A few years ago I did eliminate the inline magnetic filter, as it was slowly weeping PSF from the seams, as did the inline transmission filter of the same deisgn. I simply used a butt splice coupler with hose clamps on the return line to eliminate the weeping filter. I meant to replace it but have not.
My transmission now has a Derale external filter mount, instead of the Magnefine filter on the Tx cooling lines, and nothing weeps any vital fluid anymore and I have about another quart of ATF+4 in circulation, and the filter I use, a fram Ultra XG16, has some very respectable filtering stats, compared to the rock catcher filter in the Tx pan.

To give the inline magnefine filter a bit of a credit in the weeping department, I did not realize I had plumbed it backwards, as the rear line on the transmission, is the return. When I opened the magnefine filter on my TX, all the debris was on the inside of the filter, and had the filter gotten so stuffed with debris, it could not have gone into bypass as designed as I unintentionally plumbed it backwards.

On The a-500 transmission, and I believe most Chrysler tx's, the rear line, closest to the differential, is the return line, and this is important toknow when plumbing an additional cooler, or inline filter.

Most in warmer climates say to plumb the additional Tx cooler inline after the radiator cooler, some in cooler climates say the opposite is preferable.

Dont know what more I can add but will answer any more questions to the best of my ablility.

wrcsixeight #749932 June 23rd 2019 4:03 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Well the 10+ year old flaming river steering U joint has developed some slop, and has gone up some 20$ in price to 95.xx$, while the Borgeson is $75.33.

Sorry the pics no longer work.

Blame Photobucket and their internet killing money grab, then picload.org for going under. I've basically stopped using photo hosting sites.

wrcsixeight #766888 October 27th 2020 3:21 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
So I got a new FR steering coupler last December, and found the DD steering shaft was frozen/rusted in the column when I went to replace it.

YEA!

I found the some of the slop on the coupler was the set screws. I tightened everything back up, figured it was more than safe enough, then wrapped a rag around the bit where the DD shaft enters the steering column, then covered this with some fat tire bike innertube and hose clamps to form a cup, then soaked the rag with PB blaster, and forgot about it for 10 months, and 2 cross country journeys.

The sloppy ass Apsco reman'd steering gear, which I had already twice tightened to reduce some additional slop within, got it a third time, and this time the adjustment screw went so far until it tightened up. I loosened it 1/4 turn and then it was binding at full lock then backed off 1/4 more turn until it was not.

Rather than risk getting another resealed/reman sloppy ass steering gear, I paid close to 600$ for the redhead delivered, and am eating the 150$ core charge.

My PS pump, has not leaked a drop with all the lucas stop leak in there, but I will likely replace it or reseal it when I redo the gear and coupler. Just kind of bumping this thread to reread it and I will post the original pics and some new ones as well as there has been some PM's regarding this about the missing pictures.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users