Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
starting/carb problems
#726785 August 13th 2017 8:15 pm
E
OP Offline
E
Am I really the only one having to troubleshoot stuff?

So... have a 440 with a thermoquad... 9211s for anyone who wants to get that detailed. The problem is it's gotten VERY hard to start. Seems the float bowl is going dry. There's a squirt when I first press the pedal, maybe half a squirt if I press it again, but thats it. Sits there and cranks and cranks until the fuel fills the bowl again. Once running... seems perfectly happy.

A little research brings the wonderful new Ethenol fuel mixtures into question. I have seen mention of installing an electric fuel pump to 'assist' the mechanical pump and to prime the carb before starting. I saw one person mention a small pin hole in the gas line causing a similar problem... while others seem to feel none of those would cause the problem.

Thought I would check here for other ideas. We're going to rebuild the TQ, even though we did so what seems like not to many years ago.

Re: starting/carb problems
Eyeteeth #728547 October 04th 2017 11:16 pm
E
OP Offline
E
Update, after a lot of messing around. I rebuilt the carb, found the bowls had warped... (not causing the problem), the needle wells were leaking as the glue had deteriorated... (part of the problem). Got a new bowl, rebuilt the card, still had starting problems though. After a trip, and wanting to work on another problem it developed, I couldn't get it to start. On a whim, and past experience... I swapped the ignition module. THAT seemed to solve all the starting problems. I've had ignition modules go bad before, but never partially bad. They either worked or they didn't. Anyway, after switching the ignition modules it has been starting just fine ever since.

Ta-Daa.

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 14 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users