Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Did i hook up my alternator backward
#728206 September 25th 2017 8:22 pm
K
OP Offline
K
Since I installed my new alternator Ive had battery problems. The battery drains super fast. Like i can crank it once then its almost impossible to get it cranked again. When i turn the van off I can hear this noise that sounds like a relay resetting. Like a clinking sound. My friend said my voltage regulator is fried and is making the sound. Then i was thinking maybe I hooked up my alternator wrong. There were two wires that were not labeled on the back so I wasnt sure if it mattered where they go. Here is a pic
[Linked Image]

Anyone know if this looks right? Its a new alternator and it had no marks on the back as to how these wires should go. When I crank the truck the voltometer pegs out like its charging but them after awhile goes down to not charging. Kind of weird

[Linked Image]
Re: Did i hook up my alternator backward
Kylescore #728209 September 25th 2017 8:27 pm
K
OP Offline
K
I guess i should let you know its a 71 tradesman 360 v8

[Linked Image]
Kylescore #728210 September 25th 2017 8:42 pm
K
OP Offline
K
Also is this my voltage regulator? It looks nothing like the ones they say fit my van on rock auto
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kylescore #728227 September 25th 2017 11:05 pm
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yours leaks too. Im not sure what it is. A relay for emissions i think.
The regulator has a three prong triangle plug on it, it will be on the fire wall as well.

Its possible you just have a bad cable or connection.
Get it tested at an auto parts store. It nowmally free.
I worked a parts store, alternators can be bad new or rebuilt, its not uncommon.

Kylescore #728229 September 26th 2017 1:31 am
Maniac
Maniac
(1) the electrical item on your firewall is your ignition control module, or electronic ignition "brain." It is not the voltage regulator. Be happy you have an old Chrysler built one. New ones are pretty much Chinese made junk and don't work.

(2) there is no way to hook the alternator up backwards. You alternator has the BATT post (main (+) output) and the two field terminals. It doesn't matter which field wire is hooked to which field terminal on the Chrysler dual field alternator.

To me your cranking problem sounds like poor grounds and/or connections or bad battery cables. Your voltage regulator is a solid state unit and does not contain any parts that can click like a relay.

The alternator guage is actually an ammeter. On vehickles this old the ammeter behavior you describe is normal. The ammeter measures how many amps the alternator is putting out. The engine cranks using battery power alone. When the engine fires up the alternator will be putting out a large amperage to recharge the depleted battery. Once the battery gets charged a bit, the amp output will diminish and the ammeter needle will move towards the middle of the gauge indicating the alternator is putting out less amperage. This is normal.

It sounds like you may have a faulty battery or loose connections. Did you disconnect the (+) batery cable when you replaced the alternator? If so, try cleaning the battery terminal and the battery cable terminals and installing them tightly. If that doesn't fix it, get your battery tested. The fact the ammeter pegs means your alternator is putting out. Heh.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Kylescore #728232 September 26th 2017 5:10 am
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks guys. I had the battery tested and its good. I had already replaced the psitive battery cable but didnt do the ground. I guess thats what I need to do next. What do you think is maing the noise like the relay resetting? Its a new sound I never heard before

[Linked Image]
Kylescore #728241 September 26th 2017 10:39 am
Maniac
Maniac
It might be the starter relay, or possibly the starter solenoid on the starter motor itself. Hard to say without being there and hearing it in person.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129
frscke1 28
CatFish 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746