Rate Thread
1978 E150 Van Gas Tank Removal Question
#724726 June 13th 2017 9:41 pm
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Can someone offer any tips on removing the gas tank?

My van suddenly won't start. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. After installing, I realized I forgot to install the gasket! Rookie move.

When I detached the fuel line I expected to see gas dripping out but no gas at all! This tells me the fuel line probably has a clog somewhere.

My plan is to remove the tank and since the fuel line is mostly metal, blow it out with a compressor and drain the fuel tank and look inside. If there is a lot of crud, I will have it relined and have a fresh fuel system. I got underneath with a pan to catch a couple gallons of gas and I could not find a drain plug.

Can anyone tell me how to drain what gas is left in there or do I need to drop the tank with the gas inside?

Thanks!

Steve

Re: 1978 E150 Van Gas Tank Removal Question
SteveYangPDX #724731 June 14th 2017 12:26 am
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Got the tank out. No drain. Loosened the straps with a bottle jack holding the tank up. Lowered the tank with 5 gallons onto my chest.

The tank is squeaky clean. Removed 2 rubber hoses that connect metal fuel lines to tank. Some cracks but no blockage. There appears to be no blockage. Have not tried blowing air through metal lines yet. I don't expect to find any blockage.

The odd thing here is that I installed a brand new fuel pump and there is no gas at all in the lines. I wonder if I got a defective fuel pump?

Now that I have the tank out I will replace the sending unit so I don't have to do this again. If I hook everything back up, can I disconnect the fuel line at the carb and if I pump the gas pedal, shouldn't gas come squirting out?

Re: 1978 E150 Van Gas Tank Removal Question
SteveYangPDX #727708 September 11th 2017 1:35 pm
journeyman
journeyman
No just pumping the pedal on a carbureted motor will not pull fuel to the carb. You will have to turn the motor over for quite awhile. An old trick I used was have someone or even yourself pour a little bit of gas in the carb to help prime the lines and save your starter by getting the motor to fire for a few seconds. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of cranking to get fuel to the carb. The other possible problem is your fuel filter may be clogged. The best and easiest way to check that is if you have a piece of metal fuel line put it in in place of the fuel filter. If you get your rig running,there's your problem. As far as a defective fuel pump. if you have a NAPA store close by, they used to check fuel pumps. Your bigger garages close to you may also be able to help........Good luck, Happy Vanning and rock on...

Moderated by  Astro, Uncle_Fester 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)