Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 82 grill change to 77???
FREECNDY #726124 July 26th 2017 12:09 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
They're around here somewhere... If anyone here knows, they sure keep quiet about it.

We need to get a bunch of vans together, take the grilles off, and document the differences.
That would at least give us a good starting point for making a write-up (Which is badly needed).
I guess most people who have done it just jumped in, changed what was necessary, and then were glad it was done.

In your case, I agree that those years are pretty similar, and since they are also close together in model years the changes might be very small.

There was a guy on here recently that actually had two vans that he wanted to do the swap with (I don't remember the years).
He was asking what he needed to change, but I thought he had more information at his disposal than we have here.
I told him he should take them apart and look at them, or show us, or do the swap and document it.
...but I haven't seen any follow up yet.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
Rusty Pancelode #726174 July 27th 2017 11:17 pm
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
They're around here somewhere... If anyone here knows, they sure keep quiet about it.
We need to get a bunch of vans together, take the grilles off, and document the differences.
That would at least give us a good starting point for making a write-up (Which is badly needed).
I guess most people who have done it just jumped in, changed what was necessary, and then were glad it was done.
In your case, I agree that those years are pretty similar, and since they are also close together in model years the changes might be very small. I'm
There was a guy on here recently that actually had two vans that he wanted to do the swap with (I don't remember the years).
He was asking what he needed to change, but I thought he had more information at his disposal than we have here.
I told him he should take them apart and look at them, or show us, or do the swap and document it.
...but I haven't seen any follow up yet.

Thanks Rusty like you said most people jump into it just trying to get it over with.. yeah you would think someone would have a documented build on it by now. which I'm sure their probably is, just the matter of finding or knowing the right person.. I did see a silver van square headlight swapped to 70s build, but can't seem to locate it now.. I figured someone would know more as far as the round headlight grill swap though... I own a 77 gmc vandura g35 pathfinder 4x4 short wheelbase and been wanting a 2wd for a long time now.. found a clean 82 shorty but only really like the 70s look.. as I'm sure most of us do.. just wanted to know what I was getting myself into before I purchase it..

FREECNDY #726324 August 01st 2017 5:18 am
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I wrote it up in my thread: https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/726323#Post726323

It'll never be perfect, and if I had an '82 I would have kept it with the cool 78-82 front. Switching to that was my first plan but all those grille bezels, trim and center pieces are super hard to find and also apparently all my friends are early 3rd Gen owners so I got almost all the parts from them at great prices.

Super glad I did this (in my thread I explain why the '87 for me was specifically good instead of just getting an earlier van).

But

If I had to do it again..... probably would have gotten an early van. This is a nearly infinite rabbit hole and the 78+ core support with the 71-77 grille causes a bunch of small annoying issues.

But I guess the TBI, 700r4 and good A/C is worth it. Oh, later steering box is different/bigger but that whole system is way better than the old vans too. If you use the van a lot, I guess a newer one has its benefits.

FREECNDY #726325 August 01st 2017 5:24 am
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I really dislike the '83+ grille that's why this was worth it to me. If you have a round-light '82 just embrace the late 70s of it, pop a billet grille in and party.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users