Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Installing 5" Autometer gauges into my mid Dodge
mattmansrus #725516 July 09th 2017 6:19 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the details and the great pictorial with us. The sheer "wow" factor and the reliability improvements were totally worthwhile. Consider it a sound investment from your research and development budget. smile

Getting rid of all of those incandescent light bulbs has the great benefit of freeing up additional Amperes of current which will help charge your battery faster. It might have cost quite a bit in initial outlay, but your battery and wallet will both thank you going forward!

If you care to pursue it, if the back lights power is separate from the gauges and sending units, you may be able to install an inexpensive generic PWM DC motor speed controller from Amazon or eBay to allow normal dimming of your LED back lights. It would be no more complex to install than the solid state regulator you had retrofitted.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Re: Installing 5" Autometer gauges into my mid Dodge
mattmansrus #725648 July 13th 2017 12:36 am
M
OP Offline
M
Hey, thanks! I was going for a factory look with modern functionality ;)
It doesn't come with directions on setting the odometer but I'm going to ask them. Seems silly that you wouldn't be able to set a digital gauge.

@ram4ever It'll be nice to never have to worry about bulbs again that's for sure! I have some PWM circuits lying around that I built a couple years ago but I don't think I'll try it. My guess is there's already a PWM circuit between the terminal on the back of the gauge and the LEDs, it's rare for an LED circuit to be connected to DC (regulated or not) and I don't want to mess with it. Too much of an investment.

I've got pictures from a few other things I've done with my van and I'll try to post them too. I've got a killer dual battery setup (it's actually 4 batteries) that is auto maintained by the alternator or a solar panel and I think it could be useful to others since I see a ton of battery questions.

If anyone wants the stock gauges let me know, I want to get rid of them but I can't bear to throw them away!

76 Tradesman 200
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (black79gmc), 18 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
frscke1 28
CatFish 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747