Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#725060 - June 24th 2017 9:45 pm door seal rubbers all round  
Matman Offline
enthusiast
Matman  Offline
enthusiast

Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Hi, I have a complete set of door seal rubbers I will be fitting shortly, whats the best adhesive for this job?
cheers

#725148 - June 29th 2017 2:52 am Re: door seal rubbers all round [Re: Matman]  
Ram4ever Offline
Ram4ever  Offline

Dundee, Michigan
Matman, I'm surprised your question hasn't brought up more responses!

I'll throw a little information into the mix to get things moving.

On the vintage Dodge vans I've worked on most of the door seals are held with small serrated plastic pins, but there are certain areas, like at the top of the rear cargo door seals, where what appears to have been a basic brownish contact adhesive such as DAP contact cement was often applied between the flat rear surface of the seals and doors, to improve the seal quality, in an effort to reduce leaks in that especially trouble prone area. When the old seals are peeled off, the adhesive often peels up a little despite it's age, so it must have been of pretty decent quality to remain flexible for so long. To my eyes, the adhesive appeared to have been applied via a small brush or buff applicator, rather than being sprayed on.

Many contact cements are intended to be applied thinly to both surfaces, allowed to dry till semi glossy, perhaps 15 minutes, then pressed together. This forms an aggressive bond.

Butyl Rubber cement is a very commonly used adhesive on automotive seals, such as on the windshield seals and roof vents. It's commonly pigmented black, and is available in small squeeze tubes and in caulking gun cartridges in many of the franchise auto parts stores. It cures pretty quickly, and remains flexible for extended periods of time, which is a great thing when attempting to install a flexible rubber seal!

I would tend to steer clear of any of the silicon sealer RTV type products or household types such as aquarium sealer or bathtub or window caulking. They may remain flexible for extended periods, and some can even tolerate ultraviolet and extended weather exposure, but they tend to shear badly in thicker flexed applications, and their cure time would make application on door seals a significantly larger headache than it needs to be.

I would definitely go over the area of the door to be adhered to with a quality degreaser, to remove any contaminants such as dirt, oils, waxes, or silicon. A light scuffing with a mild textured Scotchbrite scouring pad might even be desirable to improve the adhesion to the glossy painted surface of the doors.

From my personal experience, (-sigh...) I'd suggest that you may find it quite wise to apply a masking tape along the edge of where the seal will install, to prevent strings and drops of contact cement from dropping onto the cosmetic finish areas of the door. Contact cement typically contains some pretty aggressive solvents, which would definitely eat through the glossy surface of finish paint. Consider covering any nearby upholstery and the window glass too; it's unpleasant to clean off!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
#725157 - June 29th 2017 8:16 am Re: door seal rubbers all round [Re: Ram4ever]  
Matman Offline
enthusiast
Matman  Offline
enthusiast

Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Thanks Ram.... yep, I`m surprised at the lack of response, thanks for your reply, I have just contacted the people who sold me the seals, asking if they can recommend what to use
cheers Matt

Last edited by Matman; June 29th 2017 8:29 am.
#725158 - June 29th 2017 9:49 am Re: door seal rubbers all round [Re: Matman]  
MobileCustoms Offline
MobileCustoms  Offline

Minnesota
Get yourself a tube of windshield urethane sealant/adhesive. They will never come loose!
3M Urethane - Amazon

#725188 - June 30th 2017 7:48 am Re: door seal rubbers all round [Re: Matman]  
tuner4life Offline
addict
tuner4life  Offline
addict

Indiana
I've used 3M 08008 adhesive on many other projects and it works great although a bit messy. I plan on using it for my van seals too.

[Linked Image]
1985 Chevy G20 305ci/4spd Manual
#727799 - September 13th 2017 10:01 pm Re: door seal rubbers all round [Re: Matman]  
discountpirate Offline
discountpirate  Offline

Cali.
I'm dealing with this issue on a 1971 Chevy G10. I am trying to do all the seals for both front doors, back doors, and sliding door. I have no idea what the van originally came with or how it was done, it's hard finding accurate info on the internet it seems. There are door seals that are the correct shape to fit, but they have little plastic clips all the way around so I would have to drill a ton of holes to mount them, and still have to use adhesive to ensure a good seal. There are also some rails that I could put some of the gutter channel like weather strips, but they don't go all the way around the doors. So looks like just using an adhesive and a strip will work best for me. Anyone know of a good way to remove previous adhesive and gunk from the doors without stripping or chipping the paint?

Moderated by  Astro 

Donate

Upcoming Events
Fall Fest 3
10-13-2017
discovery
Instagram Feed
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 0 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mnvanner, Missy, zeeck, MarkG, Shasta
9946 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
frscke1 155
CatFish 38
Reed 26
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics32,757
Posts501,634