by MufflerMan Mike - March 27th 2024 5:15 pm
1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Forced induction? Natural Aspiration? Worth it?
#723602 May 12th 2017 1:59 pm
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Looking at my tired 318 LA, I was wondering about a rebuild with serious forced induction in mind (20 lbs boost range). I like the idea of turboing a car at some point, but peeking under the hood, there's not a lot of space in the '85 b150 doghouse. I magically came across some Hooker SuperComps for the 318 in a van but because they are long-tube it doesn't make much sense to turbocharge. Are there superchargers that will fit in the crammed space? I'm thinking of going to a 400-600 cfm 4bbl anyway, then modifying for blow-thru if I can squeeze a supercharger or turbo setup in.

I also read the Hotrod article about a budget 400 HP 318 build and was wondering if maybe I should just shoot for a 1 HP per cubic inch figure either naturally aspirated or running a lower boost turbo/supercharger. Looking at cam selection and intakes and little upgrades here and there are fun to look at and read about, but I don't have a base to form an opinion on.

Lastly, I've never really drove a high-performance vehicle, so I don't know what kind of ride comfort I would be sacrificing, which is a little important as I bought this van to carry me and my friends around, so I don't want to wind up with a van that vibrates my passengers to death at stoplights and wondering if it was worth it.

Re: Forced induction? Natural Aspiration? Worth it?
Malatrix #723603 May 12th 2017 2:28 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Realistically, if you want a van that can be driven comfortably on the street but you want forced induction, I recommend a supercharger, if you can find one that fits under the doghouse. Supercharging provides instant boost but doesn't give as much top end power. Turbocharging is better for top end power but there is a lag at lower RPMs which happen to be the RPMs you operate the engine at on the street.

If you go the turbocharger route, the hardest part will be mounting the turbos in a place where they can drain oil back to the oil pan. There is plenty of room in the van, but you will likely have to fabricate your own headers, manifolds, or at least exhaust piping.

I doubt you need something like 20 PSI boost. For a street driven van you probably won't need to go beyonf 7 or 8 pounds boost.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #723604 May 12th 2017 6:05 pm
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the info! I figured doing the turbo route might be a little harder since there's not really any in the same area except below and behind for a turbo. Although rocker panel air scoops/cooler vents sounds cool in theory, it's a little impractical. I have seen a video on youtube of an '86-'93 dodge with a supercharger. They don't show the bay, but supposedly it is possible... As for boost, I don't know how I decided on 20 lbs boost, I guess it was just an average maximum I saw on high performance engines. Turns out the one car that got me to liking turbos only puts out about 10 lbs max rolleyes So that may be the direction for me.

Malatrix #723628 May 12th 2017 11:26 pm
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Malatrix
Looking at my tired 318 LA, I was wondering about a rebuild with serious forced induction in mind (20 lbs boost range). I like the idea of turboing a car at some point, but peeking under the hood, there's not a lot of space in the '85 b150 doghouse. I magically came across some Hooker SuperComps for the 318 in a van but because they are long-tube it doesn't make much sense to turbocharge. Are there superchargers that will fit in the crammed space? I'm thinking of going to a 400-600 cfm 4bbl anyway, then modifying for blow-thru if I can squeeze a supercharger or turbo setup in.
I also read the Hotrod article about a budget 400 HP 318 build and was wondering if maybe I should just shoot for a 1 HP per cubic inch figure either naturally aspirated or running a lower boost turbo/supercharger. Looking at cam selection and intakes and little upgrades here and there are fun to look at and read about, but I don't have a base to form an opinion on.
Lastly, I've never really drove a high-performance vehicle, so I don't know what kind of ride comfort I would be sacrificing, which is a little important as I bought this van to carry me and my friends around, so I don't want to wind up with a van that vibrates my passengers to death at stoplights and wondering if it was worth it.

You need to read a lot more. And not magazines. The fact that you think a engine is going to "vibrate you & your friends to death" at stop lights shows a major "lack of experience". I don't care what HR says, a 400 HP 318 "Budget build" doesn't exist, as the word budget is relative to everybody's wallet size. there are two more realistic options for you:
1) Find a 360 and bolt on aftermarket heads,headers,intake and a Q-jet.
2) Find a 360 and stroke it 406 and then refer to #1.
Both motors will bolt in with no fuel system mods,cooling system mods or any of the other domino effect issues that pop up.

Tucson-it's a dry heat...like an oven
Malatrix #723629 May 12th 2017 11:36 pm
G
G
Another thing to keep in mind is that the turbo (or turbos) don't necessarily have to reside in the engine bay or under the dog house. While not as efficient as a standard location turbo they do make rear mounted turbo setups. Look into STS Turbos for an idea on how rear mount turbos work.

You can also do a version of what they call a mid mount turbo. For ideas search for Boosted Performance turbo kits for the Nissan 350z and 370Z. Still lots of fabrication but the theory would apply to a V8 application too.

"Sin Bin"
1984 Ford Econoline E150 Shorty

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530