Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#723284 - May 04th 2017 2:55 pm in line transmission filters  
Astro Offline

Astro  Offline

Dresden, Maine
has anyone opted for one of these?

I was thinking of adding one, something I could change every spring.. much easier than draining and dropping the pan

90 Astro - "The Grey Ghost" - Haulin Ass, Not kids.
93 Safari - "Lunavan"
78 Dodge B200 - "Dumbass"

E-Z Vanners and West Vanners
Council of Councils Board Member
National Truck-in Board Support Team

[Linked Image]

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
AdSense long
#723288 - May 04th 2017 3:29 pm Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Astro]  
Dyno_Dave Offline
old hand
Dyno_Dave  Offline
old hand

Michigan
No, but I always liked the idea. Great for maintenance as you say. Place it in front of the trans cooler / radiator, and if anything bad does happen, you don't have to flush that cooler, just the lines. Easier I would think.

#723312 - May 04th 2017 11:51 pm Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Astro]  
Reed Online content
Maniac
Reed  Online Content
Maniac

Fircrest, WA
Pre 1963 Chrysler used inline trans filters stock. There was no filter in the body of the trans. However, unless you are doing serious abusive driving, there really isn't a need for one. However, it's your van and your money, do whatever floats your boat.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
[Linked Image]
#723316 - May 05th 2017 8:23 am Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Astro]  
Astro Offline

Astro  Offline

Dresden, Maine
inline filters are cheap enough, and the value of not having to drain and drop the pan, something that my exhaust complicates, makes it worth it

93 Safari - "Lunavan"

[Linked Image]

"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
#723342 - May 05th 2017 9:38 pm Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Reed]  
Hasan Ben Sobar Offline
Hasan Ben Sobar  Offline

Tucson,Az.
Originally Posted by Reed
Pre 1963 Chrysler used inline trans filters stock. There was no filter in the body of the trans. However, unless you are doing serious abusive driving, there really isn't a need for one. However, it's your van and your money, do whatever floats your boat.

What he said. I've been wrenching a long time and have never come across one. Temperature is more of an issue than filtering. Get a deep pan with a drain plug and forget about it.

Last edited by Hasan Ben Sobar; May 05th 2017 9:39 pm.

Tucson-it's a dry heat...like an oven
#723356 - May 06th 2017 4:47 am Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Astro]  
Ram4ever Offline
Ram4ever  Offline

Dundee, Michigan
I installed Magnefine filters in my transmission cooler line as well as in my power steering pump suction line. I opted for these since they contain a donut magnet, to capture even the most minuscule of magnetic metal particles. When I read in several official tech bulletins that magnetic inline filters were required by the manufacturers as part of warranty transmission replacement at car dealerships, that tipped the balance sufficiently to get me to move on it.

The one manufacturer includes two different inline filters with the replacement transmission; they have you install the one filter, drive for a certain period, then replace it with the other filter, which remains in place from then on. This sounds like a perfectly reasonable strategy even on a non-failed system, as it would initially scavenge any microscopic metal and more substantial non-metallic debris particles out of the system, then a fresh, unclogged filter would take its place, to allow for maximum fluid flow for the long haul.

I've read of a few people randomly encountering weeping of transmission fluid from the threaded area on some Magnefine filters. Mine haven't done this, but as with anything manufactured, tolerance stacking certainly may occur. A potential ultimate solution to this possibility would be one of the billet Aluminum Magnefine filter assemblies which places like Summit Racing offer. The filter element is replaceable in these billet units. They look mighty sweet too! smile

Last edited by Ram4ever; May 06th 2017 4:54 am.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
#723458 - May 08th 2017 5:55 pm Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Ram4ever]  
Astro Offline

Astro  Offline

Dresden, Maine
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
I installed Magnefine filters in my transmission cooler line as well as in my power steering pump suction line. I opted for these since they contain a donut magnet, to capture even the most minuscule of magnetic metal particles. When I read in several official tech bulletins that magnetic inline filters were required by the manufacturers as part of warranty transmission replacement at car dealerships, that tipped the balance sufficiently to get me to move on it.
The one manufacturer includes two different inline filters with the replacement transmission; they have you install the one filter, drive for a certain period, then replace it with the other filter, which remains in place from then on. This sounds like a perfectly reasonable strategy even on a non-failed system, as it would initially scavenge any microscopic metal and more substantial non-metallic debris particles out of the system, then a fresh, unclogged filter would take its place, to allow for maximum fluid flow for the long haul.
I've read of a few people randomly encountering weeping of transmission fluid from the threaded area on some Magnefine filters. Mine haven't done this, but as with anything manufactured, tolerance stacking certainly may occur. A potential ultimate solution to this possibility would be one of the billet Aluminum Magnefine filter assemblies which places like Summit Racing offer. The filter element is replaceable in these billet units. They look mighty sweet too! smile

did you remove your stock filter? or add this in addition to it?

93 Safari - "Lunavan"

[Linked Image]

#723488 - May 09th 2017 3:00 pm Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Astro]  
Ram4ever Offline
Ram4ever  Offline

Dundee, Michigan
The OEM type filter in the 727 transmission sump is still in place, if that's what you mean? I installed the Magnefine filter in one of the lines to the integral transmission oil cooler in the bottom of the radiator. It's been so long that I forget whether it was the return line or not, but I think it was. You typically wouldn't install filters on the pressure side of a system like this.

There is ordinarily no filter at all in the power steering system; that's one of my longevity mods.

Took a while, butI finally found one of my pictures of the filters installation:

[Linked Image]

Please note that I eventually ty-wrapped the filters and hoses in such a way as to reduce stresses due to acceleration from airflow and vibration, since the filters do have injection molded bodies with integral plastic nipples. Even though it's tough fiber-reinforced plastic, no way am I going to encourage a nipple to snap from flailing about unsupported! Strain relief is a good thing. smile

Hope that helps out! smile

Last edited by Ram4ever; May 09th 2017 3:13 pm.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
#723492 - May 09th 2017 3:55 pm Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Ram4ever]  
Dyno_Dave Offline
old hand
Dyno_Dave  Offline
old hand

Michigan
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
[Linked Image]

Nice!

#723556 - May 11th 2017 8:44 am Re: in line transmission filters [Re: Astro]  
Astro Offline

Astro  Offline

Dresden, Maine
that's what I am looking to do.

someone on facebook said if I didn't remove the sump filter when doing this, it was like "only changing one sock"

93 Safari - "Lunavan"

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Instagram Feed
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MagicByCheech, gatorjhakes, Benkofop786, turtlerace, Kinger9
9743 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Dyno_Dave 121
Reed 55
frscke1 49
CatFish 31
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics32,209