Print Thread
Rate Thread
My 86 G20 aka Vanna White (In a Green Dress) and Her Story
#722559 April 17th 2017 2:52 am
DPMALL Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The Story of My Van ( Photos at Bottom )

About 5 years ago me and my girlfriend (now wife) bought a beautiful garage stored white 1986 ChevyVan G20. We bought her for hauling movie gear as we are indie film makers..aka starving artists. And also for camping and getting out of the city.
We lived in the mission district of San Francisco, so I'd always park her in a nicer neighborhood like twin peaks or diamond heights then walk 30-40 minutes home just to keep her clean. And I did, for about 6 months, then some hoodlum scribbled his tag across the whole driver side. After that it was over. Everytime I came back to her she was a different color with a different awful tag. Not a single good graffiti artist came by I guess. Or the dudes that tag work trucks are just punks without skill shooting at east targets. But at least now I could park her closer to home because "screw it" they're gonna get anywhere now.
After a year or so of that we got a sick deal on a paint job and chose sparkly green. (Vanna White's Green Dress) So now the local artist finally left us alone. And.. She looked [censored] sharp, people took notice. Then I started surfing and driving her everyday to the beach. And we camped in her anytime we got the chance. So, slowly but surely without even totally realizing it we were vannin.
A few years and 50,000 miles later (200K total) her engine goes and we come to a financial fork in the road. How much is our Van worth to us? The answer: She's [censored] priceless. We have the engine re-built and make the decision the finally do all the upgrades we always said we would. That was about 2 months ago.
So I got on Ebay and hit up the pick and pull. I've started to grind out the rust on the floor inside that had developed piles of surfboards stacked in her over time. Then cut some astroturf for carpet until I'm ready to put in the wood floor. Which should be next month. First I gotta find some old seats to go with the spinner bases I got at the pick and pull.
I got some clean original Center Caps, New taillights, sidelights, headlight bezels. New grille in the mail. Still got put in new headlights and turn signal just to freshen her look. Also found a pair of NOS Hex Bubble Windows. And a gullwang door kit from Matchstick (Not quite ready skill wise to put that stuff in but I know some dudes who are) I also put in a stereo and a backup cam and a bunch of other little stuff..
But one of the radest things I found in all this was the community of vanners rock'n and roll'n all over the country and beyond. Found this site, Rolling Heavy, Custom Vanner, Big Rons, ect ect ect.. looking forward to getting in deeper and deeper. that's my story.
Now without further ado, photos of Vanna White (In A Green Dress)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a few more photos for fun:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by DPMALL; April 17th 2017 3:29 am.

Vanna White "In a Green Dress"--1986 Chevy G20--
[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Re: My 86 G20 aka Vanna White (In a Green Dress) and Her Story
DPMALL #722568 April 17th 2017 8:49 am
old hand
old hand
Cool story! I wouldn't be able to handle the graffiti. I would have been camping in it with a shotgun! Either way, the new paint looks great! Any plans to furnish the interior?

[Linked Image]
DPMALL #722574 April 17th 2017 11:37 am
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Cool story. She looks good in het green dress.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arianrhod:2003 Chevy Astro
Black Magic: 1985 Dodge B-250
Serenity:1985 Chevy G-20
The Outcast:1983 Ford club wagon
Luna 1974 VW bay window transporter
Freedom:1990 Ford E-150(parts van)
Outcast Vanners van club
Support your local 2%
tuner4life #722583 April 17th 2017 3:38 pm
DPMALL Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by tuner4life
Cool story! I wouldn't be able to handle the graffiti. I would have been camping in it with a shotgun! Either way, the new paint looks great! Any plans to furnish the interior?

Thanks! It was very demoralizing coming back to Vanna and seeing her tagged up.
For the interior, definitely.
Gonna do the snap-together woodfloor, I got the pedestal bases for the front seats and I want the wood to wrap around them and go all the way to the front.
Gonna insulate the walls/ceiling/floor (been reading the forums to get ideas) and do the same wood from the floor on them.
Gonna do a bed platform in the back with storage and a 2nd battery underneath.
Add some custom lighting inside too.
I'm still deciding if I should make wood door panels or do something with fabric. I want to redo the dash and doghouse too.
Basically enough inside to keep me busy the whole summer.
Will post pics of the projects as they happen.

[Linked Image]
lukester #722585 April 17th 2017 3:40 pm
DPMALL Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by lukester
Cool story. She looks good in het green dress.

Thanks lukester!!

[Linked Image]
DPMALL #722589 April 17th 2017 4:46 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
She looked and looks great!
My van is white like that, and I was a little concerned about vandals, but we're out in the country... They'd probably steal it to tote hay before they'd paint it.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users