Re: Pictures of your driveshaft please!
nikothenomad #714922 October 01st 2016 3:28 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
I believe I have the standard 727.

Will have to find another way to measure the angle on the shaft. The tool I thought I would use to measure it doesn't do what I thought it would. Will have to dig through the garage a bit more but it isn't easy finding things in an unfamiliar garage!

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
nikothenomad #714923 October 01st 2016 3:30 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
I believe I have the standard 727.

Will have to find another way to measure the angle on the shaft. The tool I thought I would use to measure it doesn't do what I thought it would. Will have to dig through the garage a bit more but it isn't easy finding things in an unfamiliar garage!

Nicole
nikothenomad #714937 October 02nd 2016 4:02 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Well it finally quit raining for long enough that it dried off under the van! Still tried to get me wet, but I managed, despite the parting shot of the 4th day of the storms:

[Linked Image]

I took several pictures, each one a bit further back towards the differential, trying to replicate the perspective in your picture. Please pardon the neighbors black walnut tree debris; the storm blew tons of it into my yard...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This picture had me clear back under the rear U-joint:

[Linked Image]

While it turns out that my 1981 B250 has a *very* different transmission mount bracket than yours, it does appear to me that we have the same transmission; the 727 is the one with the spindly tailshaft:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-And, it also appears that we have the same driveline angle! I'd never noticed it before.

Not sure that I would have tonight either, had I not been specifically looking for it; I was kept quite busy dodging spiders, earwigs, ants, daddy longlegs, and pillbugs while attempting to compose the pictures, LOL!

While I didn't measure it, my suspicion is that the engine is actually straight, (-or else the engine fan blades would get awfully close to the radiator on one side) while the driveshaft is running diagonally to meet the differential. They used that rear end on multiple vehicles, so it wasn't custom tailored for vans, and Dodge vans have the engine offset substantially towards the passenger side, hence the cramped floor space on the passenger side...

When our pictures use the line of the driveshaft as the central reference, it creates an optical illusion, which makes the engine appear angled.

I hope the pictures help improve your confidence in Annie!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
nikothenomad #714938 October 02nd 2016 4:28 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Well, and there you have it.

Your U joints failed not because of any obscene driveline angle, but because the quality of autoparts these days is a total crapshoot, with the lowest Asian bidder throwing their feces into the molten metal when they cast these substandard parts, while cursing us big nose foolish barbarians who sent them all our manufacturing jobs.

With all the Autopart reboxing that goes on these days, one never knows that even if they pay extra for quality, if they even get the supposed higher quality part, or the higher quality part's box, or if there is even a high quality part available.

One cannot rely on brand names anymore. Former Product Reputations mean nothing! It's all made in China to the cheapest possible standard. Maximum profit for the CEO's, and some to the marketing team and lawyers and accountants who decided it was time to cash out and royally screw the consumer with either the 5 finger prostate exam, or just a General lubeless fisting.

Hmmm, I seem to be ranting. FOOking weekend crowds.

Arrrgghhhhhhhhh

nikothenomad #714939 October 02nd 2016 5:12 am
R
addict
addict
R
As I first said it appears normal.

nikothenomad #714940 October 02nd 2016 9:58 am
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Well, thanks everyone! Looks like we can relax on this point and enjoy some of the others that are on our minds. HA HA!

One of those is... if it is supposed to be a this angle then why isn't our bracket made to accommodate it? I thought I had a picture of it but once our bracket is in place (and, yes, Ram ours is different than yours) the rubber bushing shifts out of it to the right. Seems sort of silly that the tranny mount wasn't made to accommodate the angle.

Just sayin'!

Nicole
nikothenomad #714941 October 02nd 2016 10:24 am
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
While we're on the mount subject here's a photo of our old motor mounts. Can't find the one I took of the tranny mount.

[Linked Image]

Although the bushing itself was not collapsed or anything, the cracks were significant enough that the bushing separated from the metal housing upon movement of the engine.

By the way, nice storm, Ram4!

Nicole
nikothenomad #714945 October 02nd 2016 11:32 am
R
addict
addict
R
Originally Posted by nikothenomad
Well, thanks everyone! Looks like we can relax on this point and enjoy some of the others that are on our minds. HA HA!

One of those is... if it is supposed to be a this angle then why isn't our bracket made to accommodate it? I thought I had a picture of it but once our bracket is in place (and, yes, Ram ours is different than yours) the rubber bushing shifts out of it to the right. Seems sort of silly that the tranny mount wasn't made to accommodate the angle.

Just sayin'!

It really doesn't matter if the bracket is different. The alignment is going to depend on the chassis with unibody construction. The angles are the same between your year and mine, only the bracket is different because I have a 46RH which is a different length. The length of the shaft or the transmission will not effect the angles. The chassis is going to have effect on angles. That is the ride height at the front or rear and of course normal suspension travel.

Why is it the way it is, only the manufacturer knows that. If the bracket was to be damaged most likely the crossmember would be damaged. The bracket is stronger than it looks. The crossmember is internally reinforced with 1/8" sheet metal mold formed, but only up to the mount holes. The sheetmetal floor is what really gives the rigidity of the entire chassis.

What matters isn't how one driveline conpares to another. No two vans are 100% alike because of manufacturing variances. Especially with a chassis whose parts are primarily formed sheet metal. What does matter is if the angles are within acceptable limits. Of course only measuring the angles physically will tell, but a quick visual look can sometimes suffice. These vans aren't going to have the best driveline. Trucks in general.

Last edited by RamVan2500; October 02nd 2016 11:41 am.
nikothenomad #714968 October 02nd 2016 5:42 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Thanks, RamVan.

I think I used the wrong word when I referred to the bracket. I meant that the tranny mount seemed to not like the angle. The rubber bushing is pulled toward the passenger side. You would think they would have made it angled as well but I guess if all are just slightly different angles that would have been difficult to do.

Nicole
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meanmachine), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 125
CatFish 25
frscke1 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746