Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I'm having a hell of a time changing my valve cover gaskets
#680711 January 31st 2015 1:01 am
O
OP Offline
O
So my van, outafuel is 31 years old. It has miles of vacumm lines that loop and go to the same area. I'm sick of it. There is zero chance of getting m y gaskets off.
Being 31 years old I got the air pump and all the crap asssociated with it other than the miles of vacumm line.

Couple questions, one is I have a 2 expansion tanks and a canister. I plan on keeping the canister return.
Also on the water neck there are 4 vacumm lines coming off it. My van is can 83 with no computer. Working on it is killing me. Its only got 62,000 original miles and as I have been changing out the stock stuff it looks like a disaster.
Can anyone link me to a good removal to the stock emissions crap. I'm keeping the cat, canisters but don't know bout this carb. The fdistributorbhas 4 wires coming off it that connect to 2 that has a vacumm line off it.
In just need it cleaned up and easy to fix stuff as we travel a lot in it and I don't like taking everything off just to fix a leak,
Thanks, any info on links to guys and gals that have done it would be appriciated

Last edited by Outafuel; January 31st 2015 1:04 am.

That's not an oil stain..it's HP sweat
Re: I'm having a hell of a time changing my valve cover gaskets
Outafuel #680714 January 31st 2015 1:26 am
enthusiast
enthusiast
Pics might help, but, what type of van? Make, model, engine.
Do you need help with the vacuum lines?
Expansion tanks, or vacuum reserves?
Vacuum lines off the water neck?
Whats wrong with the carb?
The distributor, should have a vacuum line and a couple wires, thats normal.
Dont know the emissions laws in your state, but if it was a factory California emissions van, it may have to stay that way to drive it.
lastly, what gasket are you trying to get at?
Edit: nvm, just saw valve cover gaskets.

Last edited by Magus; January 31st 2015 1:28 am.
Outafuel #680736 January 31st 2015 12:52 pm
O
OP Offline
O
83 GMC 2500
305 700r4
Removed the air pump. It was scweeling
I need help with the vac lines.
I have a gang of vac lines off the water neck. They seem to run to different locations and extra things that have wires connected to them.
This is the newest van I have owned. All others were pretty 79.
Even the tube that comes off the PVC valve splits off to 3 locations. I'm keeping everything in a box. I'm not against emmisions. But this is crazy. I've got so many lines on top of my valve covers that I would have to remove just to get to the covers. I want it cleaner looking and easier to work on if needed.
I'm thinking of going to the junkyard and getting everything off a 75-79 and using it if I have to.
Its got a new cat converter. I've changed everything on it pretty much. Even the shocks were stock. It has just over 60 thousand original miles and other than one brake. Set pads and oil changes the old guy did nothing.
My main concern is the vacumm blocks. It seems that the vac lines off the carb go to these blocks then return with extra lines. I don't know if its some kind of splitter or not but its in the water neck.
There is the main canister that goes for the extra gas fumes. Them there are 2 round expansion tanks, one on the inside of the hood. One below.
Its been awhile sense I've been on here so I need to get some pics.

Outafuel #680737 January 31st 2015 12:57 pm
O
OP Offline
O
The distributor has the ussual wires that connect to the cap, 2..
Then there are 4 wires off the side, it then goes into a quick release and 2 of those wires have a tube that slips into a vacuum line. I've never seen one like it.
The van came from Canada.

Outafuel #680739 January 31st 2015 2:09 pm
enthusiast
enthusiast
The one tank is the charcoal tank, for fumes like you said, the other round ones are vacuum reservoirs like a reverse air tank.
Im not sure on your vacuum blocks, im sure theyre distribution blocks/manifolds.

The van may still be what they call a california emissions vehicle. If it had an air pump and a charcoal canister, Im guessing it was. I dont know the law there.
It may be old enough, you can do what you want. Here, once its over 25, its pretty much fair game, unless the engine needs a part. With no computer, it gives more freedom.

All my chevy books are gone, but, I found a couple vacuum diagrams that may help get you going. Just not sure which one is like yours.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Outafuel #680770 January 31st 2015 8:08 pm
J
addict
addict
J
I removed most of it myself I have an 84 305 700R4. If you are willing to spend the money, Go with the theory iF it's broke Hot Rod it. A aftermarket intake and carb would help alot. You can get a aftermarket air cleaner for 25 bucks, A new water neck (I used my old one, I reused the hole for temp sender), PVC valve with one port get one with the smallest inlet hole (side that goes into valve cover) if left unrestricted your idle will be to hi. You can get a new valve cover breather to finish off you PVC system. Use a PVC system it works it, pulls a vacuum in the crankcase sucks out the blowby and moisture.
The distributor may be tranny controlled, see if it has more than 4 pins, sounds like it. It locks out advance in first gear, better to get rid of it. You can convert to 4 pin by taking harness from another distributor or swap it out for another distributor. Connect the vacuum advance to constant vacuum.
The simpler stuff is obvious, Brakes keep the filter for the brake booster if you have one. The vac reserve canister keep it sounds like you have a better van with vac controlled heat - A/C. You may find a valve on your heater hoses it blocks water flow if using A/C. It needs a vac signal from the controls, Reconnect to constant vacuum.
The more complicated stuff like EGR and Converter lock up you need to get a better understanding how they work. The tranny is the brains of the operation think mechanical computer. You can get a EGR block off plate to defeat the hole thing. A performance intake would be good here. The converter lock up needs the switch, delay valve (sometimes). My converter switch is located on the fire wall left of my washer bottle (it has two wires 1 blue and 1 green) and needs constant vacuum to work.
I never reconnected my charcoal canister wished I did. I blame my fill up problems at the pump because of the excess vapors in the tank. Filling up is a bitch the vapory recover nozzles don't like my van.
The emission crap is not really all that bad once you get to understand how it works. I just don't like the clutter and the idea off some small part getting me stuck.

Outafuel #680897 February 02nd 2015 12:59 am
O
OP Offline
O
Both of the tvs manifolds are old and brittle. Tried to cut the old vac lines off carefully but still broke a few nips off. My air pump is working but now that I had to loop a few things because of broken vac "tvs" blocks its smoking black really bad. Never happened before. I need to find those or go all out and buy a carb,intake and dizzy.
My distributor is not computer controlled but it has the timing retard hooked up for the knock sensor I believe.

The hardest part is the 20 feet of vac lines. They are everywhere. I can not even see what I need to because its a cluster phuk.
I'm going to see if I can start over. Pull it all out, buy new tvs switches. If not I'm going to toss a bunch of unwanted money at it. And simplify it. I'll keep some things like the egr,knock sensor maybe.
I'm sick to my stomach. All I wanted to do was fix 31 years of old lines. To bad the connectors are that old too.
Thanks for the emissions diagrams. I have all of those. Problem is my van is rare. Only 2% of all 83 g2500 vans came with my options according to auto zone.

Outafuel #680898 February 02nd 2015 1:02 am
O
OP Offline
O
I'm in Idaho, 31 years no emissions now.
I get poor gas mileage and I know its caused by all this malfunctioning crap. My carb pulled today and both the caps are off so someone has been messing with it.

I'm thinking it might be cheaper to just get all new top

Outafuel #680899 February 02nd 2015 1:11 am
O
OP Offline
O
My van does not have a computer. I'm not sure how the 700r4 works without it. My dizzy is a 5 pin. Guys say you can cut and spice the back and green wires together and then it acts like a regular 4 pin. So I've read today.
If I buy a non egr performer would that affect my trans?
I would prefer if I have to go all out just rid it all. Like you say jcd74.. More and as well hot rod it if its broken.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530