Thank you all for the compliments!

[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Re: Tuner4life's 1985 Chevy G20 4 Speed Build Thread
tuner4life #755041 December 20th 2019 9:44 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around how to finish the panel transitions between the ceiling and the walls, especially around the back corners where there would need to be a complex corner.. Then I found a "Rally STX" passenger van at a junkyard and the solution became clear..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had to do a bit of trimming to get these panels to fit around the pillars and bracing that doesn't exist on a window van, but I'm happy with the result. There are a few more places that I need to fill/smooth/finish, but once they are upholstered and installed, then we will make panels to fill the window holes. Currently undecided as to how they will be finished. Maybe a matching upholstery pattern on each panel, maybe aluminum panels that are painted/muraled (I don't want murals on the outside, so maybe on the inside??), maybe acrylic panels that are edge lit.. I don't know yet. I also got extremely lucky because the electrical box that I built right behind the driver's seat as well as the battery/charging station boxes that I built in the right rear corner are the perfect height and these panels literally rest right on top of them. Better to be lucky than good!

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #755212 December 27th 2019 10:48 am
J
J
Looking good, excited to see what you're going to do with the panels. I wanted to set my van up for traveling had the crazy idea of having the rear windows welded shut to have a bed back there and not worry about kicking glass out then doing something with the cut outs in the interior, like illuminated bubble tubes, or edge lighting a mural panel. I like the edge lit acrylic idea, but wouldn't you still have to add a backing material too it to hide the supports and such? Sorry just kind of ranting and jealous haven't been able to work on my van for last 2 months with the weather here and holidays and family events it never seems to work out for me. Can't wait to see more progress at least i stay inspired.

tuner4life #755539 January 06th 2020 11:33 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks Juntao!

I definitely wouldn't want windows back there. I'd have them broke in no time. I think I've ruled out the idea of making the entire panel plexi. Too much surface area and the wall supports would definitely cause me issues. I have some ideas, but I'm waiting to see if my wife can upholster something neat to tie it all together.

That sucks. I don't have much motivation in the winter, and I have the same issue with scheduling conflicts over the time I'm off work.

I didn't get a ton of time to work over the last 2 weeks I had off work, but I did manage to get some things accomplished:

The first thing I did was rework all of those upper interior panels. I filled holes and gaps, Ground the hanger hook bumps off, etc. Now the only visible holes will be where the mounting screws are. Much cleaner now. As you will see in the pictures, I also had to bond some plastic spacers to the upper mounting points to give a little extra clearance for the wiring to hide behind.

Any holes were roughed up around them, and tape applied to the opposite side, then filled with fiberglass infused body filler. The parts are made from fiberglass so that all bonded nicely.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This part is for the left wall right behind the driver's door. There were cut-outs/notches for the pop out window latches. I filled the large notches with MDF blocks, super glue, and then fiberglass filler. A few coats later and those are smoothed over as well.

[Linked Image]

And here are some pictures of some of the finished parts. Now they just need to be wrapped in upholstery vinyl and mounted in the van.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also got a little bit lucky with the rear corner panels. The battery and charger boxes that I made fit perfectly right below the upper panels. They literally sit right on top. I started designing up another VIP style table that will be used as kind of a nightstand when the bed is in use. I'm also adding charging ports back there for phones. Since the picture, I also cut out all of the speaker grille and there is a nice oval shape left. I have a couple of neat ideas to finish them. I'll post them as I go..

[Linked Image]

Once all the dust had settled (literally) and been cleaned up, I got back to the front of the van and started working on a few things with the overhead console:

First I mounted the Jaguar XJ clock on the driver's side panel. The console is open and tilted down so it was hard to get good pictures, but it turned out great in person! Pictures are of it normally and also lit.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On the other side, I finished making a glove box door. That has been a project in my head for years but I couldn't decide how I wanted to do it. I eventually just dove in and I think it turned out nice. It latches closed with a few small magnets that I forgot to take pictures of, but I'm happy with it. (Yes, I know it's sideways.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #755568 January 07th 2020 3:11 pm
veteran
veteran
Super clean work as always. Love the clock, nice touch.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
tuner4life #755584 January 08th 2020 9:40 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks Kursed!

Next project that I may work on tonight if the rest of my hardware comes in:

I got these 8x12 marine sealed compartment lids from work last year on clearance and I've been debating about how I want to use them. I decided that they will go in the back doors. 1 per side and I needed to figure out how to build a compartment behind them. On one side I'd like to store a basic 1st aid kit, and I'm unsure of the other side currently, but it will be nice to maximize storage space anywhere I can..

Anyways. after more time that I'd like to admit researching what to use, I discovered that these 8x12x3 heavy duty aluminum cake baking pans from amazon are the perfect size. The lip in the inside of the hatch doors fit perfectly snug into the cake pans. These will be perfect. I'm hoping to get these mocked into the rear doors tonight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by tuner4life; January 08th 2020 9:41 am.

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #755590 January 08th 2020 1:44 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Nice work! On the pics of Jim's new Van too! Thanks!

I always liked the Frscke1's side door coffeemaker setup in his white van.

The cute as cute can be Lady NPS Ranger, drool liked his side door sharp tool collection in Big Red better!

I detect a story... lol

tuner4life #756080 January 24th 2020 9:50 am
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I finished up the back door panels (except for bedliner), but forgot to take pictures.. I've moved on now to the side doors.

First I installed a couple more goodies from the Bellevue/Rally STX parts stash. These panels finish the edges of the barn doors off nicely, and will provide a mounting edge for the door panels once I make them. Also added the metal strips that separate the door panel from the window surround. I like the look and will be using them around the whole interior.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also mocked up the basic position of the "exterior" speakers on the barn doors using the lighted rings. Next step we will design the door panels and start construction.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #756081 January 24th 2020 9:57 am
A
veteran
veteran
A
Van is already badass. Can't wait to see the finished product.

When in doubt..get the sawzall out..
Page 69 of 90 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 89 90

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530