1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
IF I don't start the van every few days, I must add gas to the carburator ?
#662189 May 28th 2014 8:51 am
Puzzele Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the situation:

1. There is DEFINITELY gas in the tank this time (don't ask how I learned that invaluable lesson)

2. The fuel pump is brand new and seems to work great.

3. The fuel lines have been blown clean.

4. The van starts every day with no problems.

5. BUT if I let the van sit for about 2 weeks and never start it, when I eventually do start it, it does NOT start. Instead, I must add a little gas to the carburetor and then it starts right up and the problem disappears until I let the van sit for another 2 weeks.

Anybody have any simple solutions/what the problem is?

Re: IF I don't start the van every few days, I must add gas to the carburator ?
Puzzele #662207 May 28th 2014 11:39 am
enthusiast
enthusiast
Check your accelerator pump. When you hit the gas does it send a little squirt of gas down the carb? If not you might go ahead and get a carb rebuild kit.

Last edited by outskirtscustoms; May 28th 2014 11:40 am.

The 1980 Dodge B-series van that brought me here. It sat untouched in a garage since 1989! I sold it back to the very same guy who drove it 30 years ago for Mobile radio. Sometimes you just have to put a van where it belongs. Glad to see her getting the love it deserves.
[Linked Image]
Puzzele #662397 May 30th 2014 10:54 am
Puzzele Offline OP
OP Offline
Somebody told me that the new gas being sold has ethanol. A corn based alcohol added. I was told this will gum your lines and add a residual shellac to unused (heated) engine and carb components.

To solve the above problem, they SUGGESTED I install a secondary fuel filter between the carburetor and the fuel pump closest to the fuel pump. Do you think this has any likely benefit of solving the problem?

I just replaced the normal fuel filter but that didn't solve the problem. I was just curious if there was any benefit to installing a second fuel filter. It obviously isn't expensive.. but was curious if there was any benefit or if this would almost certainly not solve the above problem (of the van not starting after sitting for 2 weeks unless I add gas to the carburetor).

Puzzele #662626 June 01st 2014 6:08 pm
veteran
veteran
Sounds like your fuel bowl is leaking, or air is getting in, causing the fuel inside to evaporate over time. Try first tightening all of the screws holding the top of the carb on. Also, check the fuel line at the inlet to the carb to be sure everything is snug. Check for fuel leakage under the carb.

If it still happens, consider rebuilding the carb and replacing all of the gaskets. A 2nd fuel filter will most likely not solve anything.

[Linked Image]
Ripper

Serving NYC/LI
347-303-7403
Puzzele #662954 June 04th 2014 8:48 pm
J
J
Could be a tiny pinhole leak in the fuel line also ... causes a lack of pressure to hold the fuel in place allowing it to run back to the tank, and needing the primimg... Also is the choke flap on top of the carb shutting all the way when cold sitting to hold the fuel in the carb and then cracking open just a little when you press the pedal once to start the van ??

Puzzele #663267 June 08th 2014 4:01 pm
T
stranger
stranger
T
Try cleaning the pick up in the gas tank, and strainer, and make sure you found ALL the fuel filters. The fuel pump has more power when engine running than when just cranking on the starter. so if theres a blockage in the line the pump isnt running fast enough just with the starter. Make sense?

Tufcharger #726949 August 18th 2017 12:55 pm
M
M
is it a chevy van? I had that problem in my chevy van and the cure is to take apart the carb and look underneath the two halves and you will see what looks like a v that leaks slowly. you can drill it out and put plugs in then epoxy it or just clean it off and epoxy it well. I did this and cured my problems. boy, I just looked at the date on this thread I assume he got it fixed by now. oh well, it is good for anyone with this problem as it is very common.

Last edited by mrcampbell; August 18th 2017 12:58 pm. Reason: woke up looked at date. senior moment.

72 chev g20 beauville sportsvan blue
mrcampbell #727056 August 21st 2017 9:44 am
Puzzele Offline OP
OP Offline
mrcampbell: Thanks for the reply... Yah, my posting is a bit old, but I STILL have the same issue. I'm unfortunately a mechanical moron and too chicken to "take apart the carburetor." Likewise, taking off the doghouse to add the gas to the carburetor is too much work every time I want pull it out of the garage (which is rare). So this is what I do when I haven't started the van for a week or so (which is generally the case since I rarely drive it):

I turn the key and pump the gas as fast as I can possibly pump it with my foot slamming on the gas pedal repeatedly. I let it crank for about 4-5 seconds. I then stop trying to crank it (since I don't want to burn out the starter). By the 3rd time I do this, the gas finally gets to the carburetor and it starts up.

Too bad there isn't a way to 'pump' gas into carburetor without having to try and start the van and burn out the starter... kind of like in a lawnmower. A lawnmower has that little button/bump you hit 3 times before you start the lawnmower. Too bad my van doesn't have that feature! ;)

Question: Do you think it is better to pump the gas really fast when trying to start it, or is it better to turn the key and instead keep the gas pedal almost floored? Which way gets gas to the carburetor faster?

Thanks in advance for your help. smile

Puzzele #727066 August 21st 2017 5:37 pm
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Replace all the fuel lines(rubber). Then make sure the well plugs on the carb are "tight"-as in punch & hammered tight.

Tucson-it's a dry heat...like an oven
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530