Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: recessing spare in the floor
chevygod #129851 April 02nd 2007 9:00 pm
S
S
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a major undertaking!!! But bigger things have been done. What if he mounted it just inside the door, between the wheelwells? I guess it depends on seat configurations.

streetvan #129994 April 03rd 2007 4:11 pm
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Drive shaft goes there, at a very low angle to the floor. Might fit a skinny tempaspare, but I don't think a fulls ize will fit. Also, if it interfere with the frame rails, I wouldn't want to do something that may mess with the unit body structure.
Tom

...what's good fuel mileage got to do with anything???
chevygod #136691 May 22nd 2007 12:45 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
I actually had thoughts about making a floor storage unit for that spare tire. But after doing lot of measures, safety inspection and much thinking...

The two biggest problems are the position of the gas tank and thickness of the frame rails under the floor.

Right now, the spare tire is placed in its original factory setup - the right rear corner, as how the factory did it. My van's a 1971 model. I'm thinking to fabicate the side seat to partly unfold out to allow the tire roll out...but that's a lot of custom making!

Another thought is to do the floor storage idea but make the height taller - like say, 3-4 inches raise, the rear floor companment could be made as that way. Have you seen some old VW buses where the rear section is high since their engine is under there? Well that's part of the idea but for a spare tire. the top lid will be like the van floor in style. The side seats will be where they are and dosen't affect in any way - they'll still have storage under the seats. Even the rear middle seat can be set above that floor storage unit. Think of it as "swing-over" style. You flip the rear seat forward, the seat bottom is attached to the lid...it will open to reveal the spare tire. Then you flip another lid down (that lid toward you standing at the rear bumper). That will allow for easier access to pull out the spare tire.

With this idea put in use. the gas tank will remain what and where it is. The rear bumper in its original position and what else will be like as factory made that way in every way.

It's just an idea I've had tossing in my mind.

Last edited by 71westvan; May 23rd 2007 12:37 am.

Westvan71

1971 Chevyvan G10 panel van - going to be put for sale
1975 GMC shorty panel van - trying to fix to save her!
1963 Mercury Econoline project van - coming
1986 Ford Mustang LX hatchback - in use for commute, poor car!

“You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.”
James A. Froude (1818 - 1894)
Westvan71 #136738 May 22nd 2007 3:04 pm
Just a point: Donut size spares should not be used on a full size van unless it's only a half ton van.

Is there space in your interior layout to mount it on the wall behind the drivers seat? You might be able to cut out one of the side ribs (hey conversion companies do it to put in windows)to put it more flush with the exterior sheetmetal. Maybe even recess it into the floor/rocker panel a little. An empty cargo van for reference would be handy.

"The Ice Box"(SID)
94 Custom Chevy Conversion Van
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3003153
"Sandstorm"(Logan)
'00 GMC SafariAWD
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934173
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Bryce #136806 May 23rd 2007 12:51 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Bryce
Just a point: Donut size spares should not be used on a full size van unless it's only a half ton van.

Is there space in your interior layout to mount it on the wall behind the drivers seat? You might be able to cut out one of the side ribs (hey conversion companies do it to put in windows)to put it more flush with the exterior sheetmetal. Maybe even recess it into the floor/rocker panel a little. An empty cargo van for reference would be handy.

No, I wouldn't use that "donut" spare tires - not for my safety. I'm just making a point that the rear area where the gas tank is under. If someone were to re-position the gas tank, sink the floor section down between frame rails. They would find themselves short of height for van regular tires - like a 175/15r60 tire for exmaple. A donut spare tire would work but wouudn't recommand that anyway. That idea discarded.

I had worked out all the measures, theories and paper designs. Seems the best positions are two - one is the factory set-up in the rear passenager side. Or cut a small section, sink down for a upright spare tire to go in. There, still in factory position but much lower to allow you make a full-size side seat to the rear end (of the rear door)...the tire can be inside under the seat. Just another idea I had in mind.

My van is a cargo model so I have plenty of room to decide.

Westvan71

1971 Chevyvan G10 panel van - going to be put for sale
1975 GMC shorty panel van - trying to fix to save her!
1963 Mercury Econoline project van - coming
1986 Ford Mustang LX hatchback - in use for commute, poor car!

“You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.”
James A. Froude (1818 - 1894)
Johan #627326 July 21st 2013 10:51 am
O
O
I built a platform in the back of my van. The spare, a jack, and some other miscellaneous things fit under it very nicely. It's open from the back when you open the doors so removing the tire isn't difficult at all. I also put speakers up front. Maybe a thought instead of carving up your van?

Johan #630825 August 11th 2013 6:40 pm
The original poster of the question, Johan, wanted to build a well to drop his spare tire into. Much like most cars have. That would be ideal, but there isn't enough space between the frame rails, and this would take some sheetmetal skills that I don't have. If it's of any interest to anyone on this tread I have figured out a way to mount my spare under the van though. It's exposed to the elements and kind of a pain to get to but it works. I was able to fabricate a hinged cradle on the passenger side, between the driveshaft and the side door footwell (I have barn doors, not a slider. It might make a difference). I have taken pictures that I haven't uploaded yet because I couldn't get a good perspective without access to a lift. Munzy took a pic this weekend that cane out pretty good. Maybe he will post it.

"The Ice Box"(SID)
94 Custom Chevy Conversion Van
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3003153
"Sandstorm"(Logan)
'00 GMC SafariAWD
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934173
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Johan #630839 August 11th 2013 7:52 pm
M
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
M
Put it under a bed ....wha la

[Linked Image]
Johan #630842 August 11th 2013 8:14 pm
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Not saying this is a good idea or something I would condone or even recommend...

But, not all new cars come with spare tires. They come with a can of fix-a-flat and a roadside assistance program.

Me? I hate the idea, but I recognize that's a little hypocritical of me since I've put more than a few hundred thousands of miles on bikes without spares and I've had more flats on bikes than I have on cars...

2012 Ford E250 Extended Body. Black, of course.

Man, you just can't buy good panelling these days. This new stuff is crap.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530