Re: Extra WIDE door slide extension fabwork
thetrailerguy #614096 May 04th 2013 5:20 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
I like that even better ! Lol

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
thetrailerguy #615540 May 12th 2013 7:12 pm
enthusiast
enthusiast
Heres some pics of mine I ordered off ebay from an old van, looks stock- just longer.
Any of you guys have any idea how to switch them? Or a simple process? Also- can you get new bearings for the slider? make it a little easier and smoother? And literally- this was rusted and old. I got it back from the powdercoater in gloss black for...

$5.00

Literally. So, that was well worth it
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
thetrailerguy #616818 May 19th 2013 9:57 pm
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I got the slider extended out and it works, but this old slider mechanism is pretty old and tired and a little saggy... any tips on tightening up the mechanisms before we go in and get mid evil on this thing?

The worst thing a man can lose is his good reputation. One should guard it accordingly. ~ Mark Twain.
thetrailerguy #617100 May 21st 2013 1:28 pm
veteran
veteran
My only suggestion is to clean everything and grease it well. Saggy is the main problem. If things are loose or weak, you've got problems. The roller mechanism is hard to find. Make sure the rollers actually roll and it's not dragging across the track. The arm needs to be as tight as possible while allowing it to pivot.

Clean all areas that ride on other areas, such as the pin that goes through the roller and the door. Rust is not your friend, neither is paint... Be sure any bushings or bearings are clean, well lubricated andproperly functioning. Make sure the roller on the inner side of the door is good too. these break or wear and cause as many problems as the outside roller.

[Linked Image]
Ripper

Serving NYC/LI
347-303-7403
thetrailerguy #619500 June 04th 2013 4:59 am
enthusiast
enthusiast
Can you guys help?

I cant get my door to open or shut right now that I replaced it.
The door kicks out a little bit, but not like normal, i have to hold and guide it.
Same thing with shutting, it doesnt kick back in because its longer.

Do you guys have any pics or ideas on how to get the door extenders operational after install.

It works, its just not using the mechanism like it used to to shut flush, keep extended, and not move when it shouldn't

[Linked Image]
thetrailerguy #619501 June 04th 2013 5:00 am
enthusiast
enthusiast
Can you guys help?

I cant get my door to open or shut right now that I replaced it.
The door kicks out a little bit, but not like normal, i have to hold and guide it.
Same thing with shutting, it doesnt kick back in because its longer.

Do you guys have any pics or ideas on how to get the door extenders operational after install.

It works, its just not using the mechanism like it used to to shut flush, keep extended, and not move when it shouldn't

[Linked Image]
thetrailerguy #619516 June 04th 2013 8:22 am
R
old hand
old hand
R
It's been a long time since I have messed with these but as I recall there is some minor adjustment available when you loosen the bolts that hold the bracket on the sliding door. This may help with alignment, which sounds the problem that you are experiencing. Basically the door is bound a little keeping it from opening and closing freely. There are 3 bolts if I remember correctly. Just loosen them and use a floor jack under the back of the door to raise it slightly. As Ripper said make sure you have everything well lubricated. The latch as you probably know has two functions when closing the door. If it latches but does not draw in, push down on the handle and this should fully engage the latch. It takes patients as you probably will not be successful the first time. Good luck!

thetrailerguy #619530 June 04th 2013 9:47 am
old hand
old hand
Did you change the location of the stop on the upper track, when you added your extension?

As the door closes the bar hits that stop and further pulling on the door allows it to move inward and latch the rear of the door. If you do not have that stop adjusted correctly that will not allow the door to close properly.

I can't remember what makes the door open better, I think when we had our extender on (prior to Gull wing days), we always had to either pull on the extender to get the back of the door to kick out correctly if we were outside or push on the back of the door if we were inside.

Dave

Star Dreamer
78 Full Custom Chevy
Ramblin Vans - HVC
Honorary Mild to Wild Van Member - Houston, TX.
She's not a trailer queen, she is just on vacation!
She even pulls trailers!

[Linked Image]2017 Van Nationals Show and Shine by buckeyebackup08, on Flickr
thetrailerguy #619981 June 06th 2013 11:41 am
veteran
veteran
Yeah, sliders are often a problem, which is why I never buy a van that has one anymore. The slightest your door is out-of-adjustment, it will cause the door to malfunction.

And yes, the door stop must be repositioned. That will help with closing, but not much with opening.

It sounds like the arm is stiff. Did you clean off the paint on the end pins?

[Linked Image]
Ripper

Serving NYC/LI
347-303-7403
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 6 robots.