Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: For anyone buying a Street Van
heavy389 #595505 December 12th 2012 2:57 am
old hand
old hand
nice..thanks..... [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by heavy389
Doing a little researh(while lookin 4 production codes) and found this on Street Vans from Dodge

The Street Van (model year 1978)Robert H. Kline, Chrysler Corporation's manager of truck sales, said, "This model, the first of its type offered by a major manufacturer, has a special appeal to the motorist who wants to convert a unit to his individual tastes, needs, and life style. Our special Street Van provides a custom interior and exterior while leaving a great deal of latitude for plain or fancy conversion of the area between the seats and the rear door."
The Street Van came from the dealership with a custom interior in the driver-passenger area. Standard equipment included high-back bucket seats, carpeting in the forward compartment, woodgrain insert on the instrument panel, and bright trim around the instrument cluster, door trim panels and horn bar. The exterior was unique with H70-1S-B raised white letter tires, a choice of five slot chrome or painted spoke road wheels, and a Street Van nameplate. In addition, the special model boasted bright front and rear bumpers, bright moldings around the grille, windshield and tail lamps, and bright 5x7 side view mirrors.
A detailed set of customizing instructions, plans and templates were provided each purchaser. The Street Van, available on 109 and 127-inch wheelbases in either B100 or B200 models, was designed by Dodge to be the base for individual creative expression, Kline pointed out. "Dodge has been the leader in the compact van and wagon market since 1973, outselling both Ford and Chevrolet as well as the Volkswagen mini-bus. The van which took over the top sales position and the one most often used for conversion was the Dodge Tradesman, a model we originally considered a work vehicle," he said.
The customizing kit furnished with each Street Van included step­by-step photographs and instructions detailing installation of customized features such as port holes, sun roof, and roof vents. A list of manufacturers of these items was also furnished.
"Everything in the kit will make it easier for the do-it-yourselfer to finish the van in an expert, professional manner," Kline said. There were full-size templates for cutting side panels, headliner, and floor covering for the interior. There were also instructions describing the best methods for attaching the material to the inside of the van and illustrations with dimensions showing six alternate graphic schemes; and a membership in the Van Clan and an associate membership in the National Street Van Association (NSVA) along with a subscription to NSVA's publications on van activities.
“valiant67” wrote: “The Street Vans appears to have been made from 1976 to 1980. 1976 models should have had a Street Machine decal on the doors, later years used an emblem that supposedly is quite valuable.”
( and in 79 it was a Emblem!)

NateB #595524 December 12th 2012 10:30 am
M
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
M
They are all street vans unless they are off roaders. smile

[Linked Image]
NateB #604966 March 04th 2013 8:44 pm
stranger
stranger
Shes not a streetvan,(78 B200 Tradesman) but i still luv her anyways!

those pinstripes are factory as thier listed on the build sheet.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 5TOEZ; March 04th 2013 8:50 pm.

[Linked Image]
5TOEZ #604969 March 04th 2013 8:47 pm
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 5TOEZ
Shes not a streetvan, but i still luv her anyways!

Dang, those louvers are killer!

Matt K.
Flyin' Dutchmen Vans, Lancaster PA
1989 GMC Safari Cargo
[Linked Image]
keystonekid1978 #604976 March 04th 2013 9:02 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Originally Posted by keystonekid1978
Originally Posted by 5TOEZ
Shes not a streetvan, but i still luv her anyways!

Dang, those louvers are killer!

________ yeah never saw a set like that...cool.

[Linked Image]

Proud member: Shenandoah Valley Vans

............" REALITY IS JUST AN ELABORATE ILLUSION"..................

NateB #605059 March 05th 2013 1:47 pm
N
NateB Offline OP
Supreme Master
OP Offline
Supreme Master
N
Doesn't have to be a street van to be cool. Besides street van was only a trim/option package. Nothing special in my opinion.

Nate Breece
NateB #605098 March 05th 2013 8:21 pm
veteran
veteran
the only thing special about the street van package is that most was never used for a work truck that got beat into the ground,I do remember them on the showroom at the local dodge dealership.I will stop tomorrow and see if any are left !!!!!!

LadiVanner #705656 March 20th 2016 10:44 pm
C
CDV Offline
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by LadiVanner
When I first got the 77 I assumed it was a street van because of the wood trim, chrome, etc. Somebody had a Street Van logo at a truckin last year but the mounts for the logo don't line up with the holes in the van.

Hi all I am new here but I have been into Dodge vans since 1985. I live in Windsor Ontario. My Dad worked @ Chrysler van plant, so did I for a really short time, friends and there dad's also worked for chrysler. I also worked at Dodge dealerships during the 1980s as a lot boy.

I have seen a ton of vans move thru the dealerships.

I know this much: If you ordered a street van from a dealership you would get a "Street Van" with kit instructions. (Most people did not order this without the dealership upgrading it further)

Most dealerships would offer customization at an extra cost. (they made good money partnering up with local paint shops & custom interior shops) So I am sure many people who bought the street van package thought it came customized from the factory.

Also I think they did come with a tri color package (yellow with orange, red and black stripes). Not sure but it was common paint scheme.)

I also know that when cargo vans did not sell the dealership would order the street van (replacement parts) and build the cargo van to look like a street van. and sell it with a street van package.

They also offered the "StreetVan" upgrades to Tradesmen and Sportmen vans for people who wanted the skirts, spoilers and louver looks. Vans with skirts and louvers sold strong.

In the 1990s used trade-in's also were often cleaned up as a street van and sold.

The only difference I can remember was that Dodge offered a Street Van sticker that was often used to clone a van. The original ones came with cast metal scripts.

I don't know the numbers... but I know a ton of Street vans out there probally don't have the official street van ID numbers on them. Even ones bought from the dealerships.

But I look at it this way. A real Street Van is just a bonus. All vans are potential street vans. they all came down the same assembly line.

hotrod #705659 March 20th 2016 11:10 pm
C
CDV Offline
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by hotrod
My new van has the YH3 code. But it never had the decals on it. Still showing all its original paint. But it does have all the other stuff the Street van was supposed to have.

The Street Vans were a package offered with select options offered from many other packages. The only unique item was the logo. (Even the templates offered were from the conversion van templates offered to StarCraft, primetime to make there interiors out of.)

I was told that the 318 and 360 motors (more often a 318) had the fleet propane heads with smaller combustion chambers. (Heart shaped with tail) stainless steel valves and hardened valve seats. good for a few more ponies.

I don't know if this was a package upgrade but in the 80s & 90s I bought every van I could in the $100-$300 range. (probably 20ish vans) to part them out. I also had a lot of dodge muscle cars and built 318, 340 & 360s. A dodge van was a performance scavenger wonderland. The heads were always smaller chambered. Big carbs, HD 727s, 3 core rads, (often trans cooler) twin horn air cleaner, flat top pistons, better flowing exhaust manifolds that were rear dumps.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747