Rate Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Taken aback here
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #585440 September 26th 2012 12:32 am
B
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
B
I've been in the forum since 2003, and seen this thread, worded differently, several times over the years. I still don't fully understand the whole division of members of the forum. I've been on both sides of the fence, since I was keyboarding it for quite some time. Realistically, I always considered myself a vanner, even when I couldnt attend evants. I've always had a van since I was 17. I never really felt comfortable driving anything but a van. At some points during my life, I simply couldn't afford to drive a gas guzzling steel brick halfway across the east coast to attend evants. At other times, I made a choice as to whether I'd travel to an evant or put the money into my van. In those cases, the van always won, so to me, that makes me a vanner.

I got to know a lot of people through this forum. Some I've never met, but I'd do anything for, and I do mean anything. There are some people on here who've never been to an evant who have more vanner heart than anyone I've ever met. These people I've gotten to know through their participation on this forum, and mine as well, in all the sections here including off topic.
Some of these people have a great sense of humor, and have helped me through some tough times simply by lightening my mood with a joke.

As far as people profiting off each other, well, that's happened to me also, and if I really think about it, I've probably been boned more by people I've actually met and hung out with at evants than by people that I never met. It happens, and eventually I just decided I didnt care. Once something was out of my hands it belongs to the person I sold it to or gave it to, and I'll continue to send things to people who tell me they need it as long as I have it and don't need it. That to me is more important than sitting around a campfire spreading gossip or trying to figure out what click I belong to. Maybe I'm not a vanner at all. Maybe I'm just a van enthusiast. Life is too short to try and figure out what category I fall into, or if I've done enough to earn anyone's respect. I respect the guys who travel countless hours religiously to attend, and I respect those who come here yearning for knowledge to keep their passion on the road, regardless of whether they attend or not.

Much love to my peeps, and I'll see ya down the road.

AdSense long
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #585452 September 26th 2012 4:13 am
This "elitist" attitude isn't unique to this forum.

I see it in my world too. I've got some friends who only consider "real bikers" to be those who attend biker rallies on a regular basis. The last rally I attended was probably two years ago and even though I had a blast meeting old friends, I didn't feel compelled to attend regularly.

I was big into this scene years ago before a mortgage, wife and young family came along and consumed most of my disposable income. Not that I'm bitter, I have a great life, but I no longer take part in the bike rally scene for this and other reasons.
I still consider myself a biker. I've had motorcycles since I could walk. I presently have 3 motorcycles in my garage and I ride them on a daily basis. I've given my last euro to help a biker in need, I've shared the fuel in my tank with strangers who have run out. My garage door is always open to bikers that visit and the fridge always has a beer in it for those with a thirst. I dont have a beard or tattoo's, I don't wear harley tee shirts or any of the usual garbage that some bikers feel they've got to wear to 'fit in'.

But I've heard some of my "friends" have said that I'm no longer a "biker" because I don't attend the bike rallies... In their eyes I'm now a "motorcyclist". Well thats just their view. Its all about semantics anyway...

The thing is, life goes on, priorities change and some folks do different things...

As for this forum, I recently joined vanning.com because I'm rebuilding a 1980 G van and the best place to get technical information is from places such as vanning.com where folks have been there and done that in terms of technical challenges. Vannin is the most active and interesting forum I've found that suits my needs and I feel at home here. I know my 'van' is actually an RV, but you guys have helped me to no end in understanding my vehicle and getting it to where it is today and for that I'm grateful. I didn't join vanning.com to attend eVANt's, well it'd be a bit difficult for me to attend from here anyways (unless theres a UK chapter of vannin) :-)

Kevin

[Linked Image]
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #585456 September 26th 2012 6:35 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
I think Suzie said it best and a good example of that was at Keystone this weekend when everyone pulled together to raise quite a bit of money to help Judi "Blenderqueen" deal with the loss of her husband and the expenses as a result.

I personally use the term keyboard vanner as a humorous term when I myself cannot make it out to an evant I really wanted to be at. I make a joke of it.

Nate Breece
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #585464 September 26th 2012 8:33 am
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
Basically it boils down to "opinions" and those are like a$$holes everyone has one, and they are all different.

If you ask me what a vanner is, it will be different than the other guy.

But at the same point my opinion counts just as much as the next or doesn't count just as much as the next guy.

All I really care about is the "Van" and that is what this whole site is about. Whether you use it for finding parts for your daily driver or looking for the next big event to show your show van, it doesnt really matter, I am just glad we all have a place to do that.

Thank you Astro for making that place for all of us.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
Co-Chair 40th Van Nationals
President - County Line Vans
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750547
www.wivancouncil.com
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #585466 September 26th 2012 8:38 am
B
old hand
old hand
B
I understand Doc's irritation, as he stated, selling outright is one thing, turning something loose that you may not even want to part with at a greatly reduced price or free to help someone out is another all together. I don't go to eVANts for my own personal reasons that have nothing to do with money or time, same reasons I quit going to bike rallys. That's an off topic discussion in itself. Am I vanner? Honestly I don't give a hoot what anyone thinks of me, vanner, biker, whatever makes me no never mind. I am me and I won't intentionally take advantage of anyone, friend or foe. If you're broke down nearby and I can help, call me, if humanly possible I'll be there. Need a place to crash? I'll see you have a place to lay your head, hungry? Not a problem, I'll make sure your fed. Want me to meet you somewhere and party? Sorry, not gonna happen. I'm sorry you had a bad experience Doc. If I can help track down the culprit, let me know. There's no space here for thieves and deception and as far as I'm concerned, even if money changed hands, if there's deception at the root of it, same as stealing.

P.S> There's a cure for thieves and liars, see my user name for further information.

'85 GMC Shorty
'98 Suburban K2500
'98 Pontiac G8 GT
'77 Pontiac Astre
'95 Jeep Wrangler
"I thought you weren't allowed to talk to guys with vans??"
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #585468 September 26th 2012 8:54 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
I don't care much for truckins, I just like taking cold showers in strange places with people I don't know. lol (or is that in places I don't know with strange people)?

CatFish #585485 September 26th 2012 11:23 am
old hand
old hand
Vanner's or Biker's, we (my family & freinds) are just Good People.

Liar's & Thieves are on the very, very bottom of my list, actually under the pile of dog $h*t in my yard.

Live to Ride******Ride to Live

1982 Chevy G20
1998 GMC Savana
1973 GMC Motorhome

[Linked Image from i1247.photobucket.com]
Boot #585518 September 26th 2012 3:27 pm
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boot
I've been in the forum since 2003, and seen this thread, worded differently, several times over the years. I still don't fully understand the whole division of members of the forum. I've been on both sides of the fence, since I was keyboarding it for quite some time. Realistically, I always considered myself a vanner, even when I couldnt attend evants. I've always had a van since I was 17. I never really felt comfortable driving anything but a van. At some points during my life, I simply couldn't afford to drive a gas guzzling steel brick halfway across the east coast to attend evants. At other times, I made a choice as to whether I'd travel to an evant or put the money into my van. In those cases, the van always won, so to me, that makes me a vanner.

I got to know a lot of people through this forum. Some I've never met, but I'd do anything for, and I do mean anything. There are some people on here who've never been to an evant who have more vanner heart than anyone I've ever met. These people I've gotten to know through their participation on this forum, and mine as well, in all the sections here including off topic.
Some of these people have a great sense of humor, and have helped me through some tough times simply by lightening my mood with a joke.

As far as people profiting off each other, well, that's happened to me also, and if I really think about it, I've probably been boned more by people I've actually met and hung out with at evants than by people that I never met. It happens, and eventually I just decided I didnt care. Once something was out of my hands it belongs to the person I sold it to or gave it to, and I'll continue to send things to people who tell me they need it as long as I have it and don't need it. That to me is more important than sitting around a campfire spreading gossip or trying to figure out what click I belong to. Maybe I'm not a vanner at all. Maybe I'm just a van enthusiast. Life is too short to try and figure out what category I fall into, or if I've done enough to earn anyone's respect. I respect the guys who travel countless hours religiously to attend, and I respect those who come here yearning for knowledge to keep their passion on the road, regardless of whether they attend or not.

Much love to my peeps, and I'll see ya down the road.

Amen Boot,
I grew up with a dad that always seemed to have a van or a panel (I do wish i could find another 66 chevy Panel) and those vans were always neing outfitted with a bed and a bulkhead, sometimes aftermarket wheels. I never realized that truckins even existed still until my 30's. I'm now working on another van project and sometime $$$ just isn't there to make a truckin. I agree with Boot, It is quite provincial to label a "Vanner" or "Van Owner" based on their attendance record at evants. Two men make a deal on parts...they agree on a price. after that, that items belongs to the man who bought it, to do with what he wishes. If you have concerns about the end use of that item, don't sell it. It is just that easy. That Indidiual isn't on here complaining about how you spent the $$$. Off topic is just that: Topic not related to vanning. Nobody here is Van 24-7, this gives vanners an outlet to discuss interests other than vanning with other vanners (whom by this forum list shows,may be also interested in said topics).

runnin under the moon,,that's where i'll be....
[image]
[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #585528 September 26th 2012 4:14 pm
R
veteran
veteran
R
i think a point ha been made and its time to drop this.
this more than others is a time we need to stick together and let go of petty B.S. the world is goin thru changes that is goin to affect us all in small ways and im startin to see it here. let it go and move on.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530