Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
95 Nissan Quest
#573503 July 10th 2012 9:28 pm
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm so frustrated I can't see straight... I have had so many weird problems with my van I don't know what to do next.

When I bought my van a year and a half ago there were some problems with it. Beyond the obvious need for strusts and an oil change... There were issues that I could hear. I gave it back to the lady who in turn took it to a local mechanic who claims to have hooked it up to the computer twice. Each time claiming there was nothing wrong. There was a sputter to it, and the sound from the pump was higher pitched than I thought it shoud be. They acted like I was retarded..

Next thing you know I'm broke down in Lethbridge. Had it towed to Canadian tire, according to that mechanic and computer again there was nothing wrong with my van. He hooked it up twice because right after they brought it out to me, it wouldn't start again. It had been a hot day. The engine first lost power eventually dying completely. I had to camp out in the parking lot. Next morning same Mechanic, Bruce, tells me that he's pretty sure it's the gas pump over heating. Tells me that it would make sense that it wasn't showing problems when it was cool if it was the gas pump. That morning I headed home back to MT. Van made it fine.

I did pick up a fuel pump but took me like 8 months to find someone that could/ would change the pump. Small town, no one wants to drop the tank to replace the part... So I talked an old neighbor nto doing it. Paid him the going rate for the hours listed. That was about 2 months ago. James said the pump was really gunked up. I started adding a fuel treatment every time I fill it hoping to clean out lines just incase. He's back east and I can't get a hold of him to have him go over it. Changing the pump did seem to help. The picth even sounded better.

Now it's hot out and the van won't run for long before it strands me again. Drive 3 miles, park it and I can't get it going. Once it starts doing this, If I can get it to start it sputters adn dies, or when I put it into gear the energy plumits and stalls out.

It was suggested to me that I change the fuel filter. Yesterday after the sun went down a bit I changed the fuel filter. I took it for a test run, seemed fine but the pitch wheni engaged before starting sounded a bit high again. I did reverse flow the filter to see what if anything came out. There were soem small black things, could be carbon, could be peices from weather rubber? lines. I'm really not sure. There didn't seem to be that much to it though.

I'm now at a loss. I don't know what to do, what's wrong, or who to ask for help. If the computers aren't picking anything up and there is something very obviously wrong *shrugs* what do I do?

Oh and looking at it again today, opening the gas cap with to see if the pressure was decent ( I know I can't gague it that way, but at least you can tell it's there right?) No the key wasn't engaged. As I stood there with the cap open I could hear the tank continuing to burp. help?

Re: 95 Nissan Quest
ABorBust #573522 July 11th 2012 12:24 am
old hand
old hand
Not real familiar with the nissan quest but it sounds like you have a plugged vent tube on the fuel tank somewhere. You also might just need a new fill cap. It seems there is something not letting the pressure escape from the fuel tank amd not letting it pull in fresh air when you use fuel from the tank building vacuum and making the fuel pump work twice as hard.

When Chris Farley talked about living in a van down by the river, did anybody else think that wasn't such a bad idea?
ABorBust #573527 July 11th 2012 2:16 am
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Whn it's acting up, if I come up to a stop or slow for a turn, again it looses power and dies, or sputters out and dies.

Kimberly H.
ABorBust #573552 July 11th 2012 7:13 am
old hand
old hand
Stop going for a quick fix. Plugging the computer will only tell you if something wrong is detected by the sensors which are almost all emissions related. Waste of time on OBD I if your check engine soon light isn't on.

Ideally, have a REAL mechanic do a REAL diagnostic.

If you have to DIY it. Start by plugging a fuel pressure gauge to your fuel line as close to the engines fuel intake as possible. You will have to look up what pressure your EFI system needs. Let the engine warm up and see if the required fuel pressure is maintained.

SaabGuy had a good suggestion. It's also possible that some rubber lines aren't reacting well to the higher ethanol content in today's fuel. I say this because you mentionned black debris in fuel pump.

Mathieu
[Linked Image]
"Electric Avenue", my '79 Ford.
ABorBust #573557 July 11th 2012 7:26 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Black bits in the fuel filter???

The fuel tank needs to be dropped down and cleaned out. Have the the fuel lines flushed out and if possible the fuel injectors cleaned.

Fuel system is contaminated with dirt.

Nate Breece
NateB #573561 July 11th 2012 7:50 am
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NateNCBV
Black bits in the fuel filter???

The fuel tank needs to be dropped down and cleaned out. Have the the fuel lines flushed out and if possible the fuel injectors cleaned.

Fuel system is contaminated with dirt.

Actually, Nate is right, it's probably as simple as that.

BTW, I don't get why your local mechanics don't want to drop the tank!?!? crazy

Mathieu
[Linked Image]
"Electric Avenue", my '79 Ford.
ABorBust #573598 July 11th 2012 4:11 pm
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Mathieu I'm not sure what DIY stands for. I'm not a machanic >.< But This van is trying to change that I tell you. In the past I have always taken vehicles to a shop, or let the guys handle repairs. I know this will sound stupid, but I felt accomplishd for having changed the fuel filter. Having had back surgery 4 months ago and never having done it before, it was an accomplishent for me climbin under the hood and getting that much done.

I do know what to do to check EIF in principle, I have looked up the pressure. Not so sure I can get under there and do it.

As for taking it to a real Mechanic Mathieu, God knows I wish I could. I live in a small town, population maybe 1500. There are 2 Mechanic shops. Neither have any good references to speak of. Nether have the bays, tools, what ever they can think of as a reason not to do it.. The closest dependable place would be about 100 mile drive. Van is not going to make that drive. Can't afford to tow it that far. SO if I can get an idea of what I could try, maybe I can get her to make it to Greatfalls where I can find someone that is able to drop the tank and do what should be done.

Nate, do you think If I could find someone that would drop it and clean the tank in their back yard ( cause that's probably the only way it will happen here) if it will run well enough to get to a Mechanic in the city?

Thanks for responding guys, I appreciate it.

Kimberly H.
ABorBust #573601 July 11th 2012 4:22 pm
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
WHat Saabguy said sounds like things I should try anyway .

When I was changing the filter, I noticed the lines are starting to weather. Cracking, like a tire looks whn it starts to dry rot? You don't see the cracks until you push in on them.

So they will have to be replaced as well.

Kimberly H.
ABorBust #573604 July 11th 2012 4:39 pm
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
DIY=Do It Yourself

I would surely hope so.

We had a lady come into our shop with an Chevy S-10 Blazer with a stalling/rough running problem. We found that the fuel filter was clogged so we changed it and sent her on her way. A few days later she was back with the same problem...clogged fuel filter. I cut the fuel filter open and found that it was clogged solid with this black silt.

We put a brand new gas tank in along with a new fuel filter and she was happy as a clam. I don't remember if we flushed the rest of the fuel system or not, but that Blazer ran better than it ever did.

Nate Breece
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747