Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Another new guy
Helmar #571969 July 02nd 2012 2:04 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Hi Helmar, Welcome to the site!

That's a really fine looking Dodge you've got. I'm glad you've decided to rescue her.

The picture of the interior in your signature looks awesome! Totally classic. Whenever you have a chance, would you please post some more pictures of your interior? I absolutely love well done vintage interiors, and yours looks like it's a great one.

Is that ghost tribal striping on the sides?

You may find that it's cheaper in the long run to simply replace your rotors; new ones are only about $50 and in addition to providing you with uniform braking conditions, they'll come with the cones already pressed in. For that matter, it's pretty amazing how inexpensive brake parts actually are; I replaced everything (aside from the master cylinder & booster) front to back on mine, including the front and rear rigid and flex lines, and it was less than $200. The peace of mind is well worth it. The most expensive parts were the front flex lines and the rotors.

When you go to pick up calipers, please inspect them before you install them. I found major issues with damaged ways on rebuilds; the milled surface where the calipers slide on the adapters were frequently severely hosed. If there are any gouges or eaten out spots on the ways, get a different caliper.

[Linked Image]

When damaged, they could snag, causing accelerated wear or even pulling if they jam up badly. Believe it or not, I went through 5 or 6 at O'Rielly's before I found a 2nd good one! Some calipers were actually in hazardous condition, worse than the one above, and I pointed it out to the sales clerks rather vigorously! When they rebuild these, they basically just repaint them and slam in new rubber parts without doing any milling, so if there's any mechanical damage, it goes right along to the next sucker, er, I mean customer....

It looks like you have very same tube grille I do; mine was off of a mid 70's Dodge just like yours. I modified the daylights out of it to get it to fit inside the decorative trim on my 81 Dodge. Just this last week I finally welded stands on my radiator core supports to hold it; I'd be interested to see just how yours mount if you'd be willing to take pictures sometime.

I see you've got something else in place which I'd actually seriously considered doing - your venturi vent is mounted backwards. Does it seem to work OK like that to you? It would seem to me to be more aerodynamic overall, but the instructions and the US patent all show them pointed the other way to maximize the venturi effect.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
AdSense long
Helmar #572186 July 03rd 2012 7:06 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Welcome Helmar!

Nice Tradesman "Custom" you have there. I see some nice options like the factory chrome moldings on the body.

I would highly recommend you replace everything in the brake system right down to the rubber hoses and flush the sytem with fresh fluid.

Nate Breece
Helmar #572325 July 03rd 2012 6:22 pm
A
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
A
welcome to the site from Dodge vanner in Canada.
[Linked Image]gotta love those Dodges yay

Helmar #572429 July 04th 2012 11:16 am
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
welcomefrom Florida

Looks like a cool van you got there.

Good luck cheers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arianrhod:2003 Chevy Astro
Black Magic: 1985 Dodge B-250
Serenity:1985 Chevy G-20
The Outcast:1983 Ford club wagon
Luna 1974 VW bay window transporter
Freedom:1990 Ford E-150(parts van)
Outcast Vanners van club
Support your local 2%
Helmar #572609 July 05th 2012 5:41 pm
journeyman
journeyman
Welcome from WA State!! Very nice van you have!

Brent
1976 Ford Econoline
[Linked Image]
Ram4ever #572994 July 08th 2012 12:28 am
Helmar Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi and thanks for the welcome too.
Lets see if I can answer your questions here.

I am not familiar with ghost tribal striping.
The striping that was done on here was gold and yellow and fading fast.
I did it myself, With, a Striping brush.
There is a fellow up here in the Portland Oregon area that got pretty famous doing striping on cars, trucks and cycles that was in the Portland Roadster show called Mitch Kim.
I used to data his sister, Justin Kim so I got to see how it was done. A LONG time ago, I added the striping as all that was on it was the Shorty Dodge Inc, which looked out of place.
Memory does not always serve me like it used to but I think I was able to use yellow and gold to match the shorty dodge inc.

I did inspect the calipers as well as other items to assure they were not crap. I don't trust re builders, plain and simple, never have. Too many issues in the past.
I did mechanic work for several dealer ships as well as growing up working in my fathers wrecking yard.

I never knew that vent was backwards as I had seen a few others kind of like it.
It has a door on the inside that you had to push the locking clip and pull it down.
With no other venting on that thing, it seems to do a good job maybe siphoning the air out?? I do know it would cool the thing down pretty fast with it open and driving. You could really tell it was open if the drivers door window was rolled down.

I will get some pictures of the grill and how it was mounted. Pretty simple setup. Hack job on the headlights as I did not do them, But, they to point forward :-)
Right now I only have the three pictures.
All around the sides is this orange pattern, top is black rug and naugahyde with deep or black rug over foam floor.
There is also a cooler or ice box fridge were they took the drain and put it on the back of it and laid the fridge on its back. Holds Lots of beer on ice.
There is also a bed in back that is about wide enough for a double stack arrangement with I think 14" speakers installed under it. At 400watt amp drives them.
Here is what I have so far... and thanks for asking. Hope the pictures work. Not really too keen on photo bucket stuff.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Helmars Shorty Dodge----------------Gotta love those Fat Fifty's

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Xonenine #572996 July 08th 2012 12:36 am
Helmar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Xonenine
Welcome from WA State!! Very nice van you have!

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I have property in Quilcene Washington where I am right now.
Fact, this is were one of my owner operator boat shops are.
Also building up a boat shop with my youngest Son is Sandy Oregon were I spent 35 years. Grew up in Portland Oregon.

I drive right though Centralia down I-5 which makes us close.
Might end up in a Vanning event together.
Nice Ford too.

Helmar #572999 July 08th 2012 12:54 am
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
Welcome!

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

Helmar #573002 July 08th 2012 1:18 am
Helmar Offline OP
OP Offline
I am having a little issue searching the forums. (I know being 64 might have something to do with it :-)

Now that I have my van out of moth balls, I am wondering about a possible transmission Upgrade.
I have the old bullet proof 727 that has a shift kit in it and less than 4 thousand miles on it, But, wonder about the 904? or whatever Overdrive transmission's that might bolt up to my 318 V8.

I was looking for a forum on transmission conversions but in that kind of search, I found Everything about conversion vans too..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, lukester, nautic1, Virtual 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members