Page 131 of 651 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 650 651
Re: What Did You do To your Van Today?
wrcsixeight #568369 June 13th 2012 8:14 pm
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I prepped my sorry chromed plastic mirror bezels, and painted them black with appliance epoxy.

Gotsta go rattle another layer on them now

[Linked Image]

AdSense long
wrcsixeight #568370 June 13th 2012 8:16 pm
R
addict
addict
R
Fished working on the van, finally got rid of that Code 32. The connector has some loose wires causing the EGR transducer to go on off on off. Checked operation in both cruise control on, off and it's all good no codes.

Lost wheel balance again, just had wheels balanced a week ago. I probably have defective tires, checked rim radial and lateral run out and it's good.

RamVan2500 #568379 June 13th 2012 9:23 pm
H
addict
addict
H
replaced fuel pump gaskets both the pump and block had layers of dried up gasket layered with silicone, yeah it took awhile to clean up, so far so dry... i hope beer:30 at last

RamVan2500 #568399 June 13th 2012 10:54 pm
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
Originally Posted by RamVan2500
I don't have a weight distribution, it's around 700lbs dead tongue weight. It's not too much because the vehicles rating is for 800. The back of the van didn't go down too much when I put the trailer on it, but there wasn't much farther it could of gone before it would hit the load spring.

I want to get a weight distribution so bad but they're expensive.

For a trailer your size with a 700# tongue weight you absolutely MUST run a weight distribution set up and a sway control. Even with trailer brakes the load is so far to the back that in a panic stop you would be through the back seat of the car in front of you, hopefully not mine! Ive towed alot of weight alot of miles, talk to any trucker or seasoned RV'er. Please look into getting one ASAP. Too bad i just sole a 1400# bar setup with a brand new sway control for 45 bucks not a year ago!

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

draggnastro #568407 June 13th 2012 11:12 pm
R
addict
addict
R
Actually the trailer only weighs about 4700 Lbs and it's a dual axle but they put the axles so to the rear of the trailer which is why it has such an excessive tonque, but with the trailer brakes it stopped WELL! I mean really well, but yes I do understand the importance actually the requirement of a weight distribution but like I said I just don't have the dang money. Thankfully I'm only going to be towing about 25 Miles this time and at speeds of about 45-55MPH and it's not on a highway or anything like that. But I have to get new leaf's because mine are riding on the overload spring and this is not towing! They're shot to hect, and everytime I hit a bump I feel like my bumper is going to touch the ground, and I have new shocks which helped so much compared to before.

The rearend of the van is just so heavy because of how Chrysler positioned the drivetrain and powertrain. But they were smart about it, more weight in the back to prevent roll over.

But 700# I put that on my van and wow my van went down!

wrcsixeight #568569 June 14th 2012 7:14 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
More sanding and priming. Finding the small dents now.

The only Stephentown on earth.
I don't mind Coming to work,
but that 8hr wait to go home is a bitch.
No matter how little I do,
I always feel I could do less.
"The only thing wrong with a perfect drive to work is that you
end up at work."
NOVA VANS
1990 Dodge B150
DrBob #568575 June 14th 2012 7:47 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Loaded the van to go to a van run...
Then unloaded the van cuz I couldn't go. lol
Went out for a rip with the van tonight. Passed through a local car show and paraded down the center row. One of the attendees yelled out "Looks great, but does it go?"
So I slowly cruised to the gate... Then gave them full throttle and brake! grin

Loonie Toon Truckers...
New Jersey Chapter

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #568594 June 14th 2012 9:41 pm
R
addict
addict
R
Took the van back to wal-mart this morning tried to get them to replace the tires and like usual NO! So they rebalanced them again and they were all out of balance. I love it, they need a reason to replace the tires, basically the guy is like why are they defective. I said because I haven't put more than 5000 miles on the tires and you have rebalanced them 3 tires, one weeks ago from today he balance them and today he balanced them and they keep going out of balance and I have a bad vibration at 60 MPH and goes up which is most likely a lateral run out. Of course the little machine they balance the wheels on never gets close to 60 MPH, they spin them until they reach maybe 35-45 MPH depending on if it's a dynamic or static balance. Well they balanced them and like clock work they stripped out another stud and nut so I went to my local advance auto and they didn't have them in stock so I drove over to the advance auto in the town next to me and got them, then I go home and positioned the van so I have more room to work right in front of the garage. Then I go take the rotor off and the inner bearing I replaced about 1 year ago fell apart during the rotor removal because the cone was seized to the spindle, so I was able to remove the cone from the spindle by taking a chisel and a hammer and popped it right off, then I had to get a bearing and the only car was in the garage so I had to wiggle the car out of the garage then I went to the autozone because I still had the receipt for the old bearing and the warranty had just expired about 1 month ago and the Autozone could only get me another bearing by tomorrow as non in stock at the store. So I drove over to the advance and bought a new bearing, seal, and brake parts cleaner. I then proceeded home, replaced the stripped wheel stud, then deglazed the rotors, then cleaned the hubs of the rotor where there was casting sand on them, I then greased everything and assembled them. And mounted the wheels, I tell you what a God damned day! And the balancing still hasn't gotten rid of my vibration that occurs at 60MPH and up, I think the tires are defective, I know it's not a driveshaft vibration because that would occur in the 50 MPH range based on previous experience and my axle ratio vs. rolling radius of wheel. But I got the van up to 100MPH it's top speed the other day and that was the day I started to get 60+MPH vibrations was after I got the van to 100MPH, and mind you the tires I have are only rated to 112MPH! So I kind of warped out the tires. That or my vibration is coming from the brake drums which are rusted to hell all over and who knows how old they are, probably the originals.

But 3 days ago I had 150 dollars and now I have maybe 15 dollars left due to vehicle operating cost (gas sucking bastard), and repairs I have had to done recently.

wrcsixeight #568610 June 15th 2012 1:56 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I crawled inside my electrical cabinet, unscrewed the floor hatch over my 2 flooded group 27 Deep Cycle Crown 12v batteries, checked the specific gravity of all the cells, then topped them up with water.

All cells were above 1.280, some were 1.305. Tomorrow I'll disconnect all electronics from the house batteries and program my solar charge controller to take them up to ~15.8 volts for a few hours to equalize the cells. If the sun is out. I need about 10 amps to get the batteries up that high and my solar can do about 12.5 to 13 depending on temperature and sky clarity.

They took about 1/3 a gallon of distilled water. It's been about 4 months since I last checked them.

No corrosion on the cables, batteries performing well.

Also cleaned the 40 mm low CFM, low amp draw computer muffin fan which blows cool air on the cooling fins of my compressor fridge 24/7. Lots of dust on the blades. A clean fan is an efficient fan.

Page 131 of 651 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 650 651

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users