Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help with Events
#553830 April 05th 2012 9:23 am
Robd Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I know most of the clubs here have been doing truck-ins for a really long time.

I know know that there is a lot of events going on pretty much every weekend all throughout the summer. It just depends on where you are, as to how much activity there is.

I know gas prices are up all across the country and times are tough for a lot of us.

I still want to do more. Right now our club is going to put on our 2nd one day event at a bowling alley. Down the line we hope to put on an actual truckin. In our council, we have a lot of long time clubs, and vanners, and they have been so amazing at helping us get going, and answering questions and just plain helpful! We appreciate that. I want to know what you all think about what should be happening to increase participation to events, activities at events, and how to help vannin grow.

So at the truckins you attend, what do you enjoy the most? Is there something you don't like? Is money the biggest factor right now if you will go to an event? Do you play the games?

I grew up going to truckin, but as a newcomer to actually putting on events, any suggestions to our club?

I didn't see a spot on here about truckin-help, and I think perhaps there should be, or maybe I just missed it.

[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Re: Help with Events
Robd #553833 April 05th 2012 9:50 am
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
I go no matter what the price of gas is.
Especially to the regional ones. I like to support those little eVANts that have helped to keep this Vanning thing alive for so long. If a Nationals is going to cost me 3 or more of those eVANts--I go to the little ones in order to support them. And I do it over half of the country. So, we may a little picky about where we go, but we always have a grand time!

When we are at an eVANt--my favorite thing is just spending time and chatting. I can do that all day and yes--all night too! I may play a simple game--Steve likes horseshoes, and he has been showing the VAN a lot since I blew all the spots off driving too fast! We go to the bands, but I can't dance front row like I used to. I do attend blender parties and beer wastings--mostly just more time to hang with loved ones.

I have seen lots of ideas to get people interacting with each other at eVANts--like the poker game they play at Spring Fever or the VAN card sets at the Nats in OH last year. And more than one group has started 'pub crawls.' At Flamingo Fest we make the attendees do all the judging for the Show-n-Shine. They pick up a sheet with lists of awards and write the number of their favorite Van for that prize. Then they all get added up and winners are decided. All of these things bring people together at an eVANt.

But, many some of the newer Vanners should speak up here--after all, that is where the future of our sport lies--and they are they ones with some energy to PLAY!!

Cherish your friends!
HUGGS to all!
Suzie
Robd #553846 April 05th 2012 11:59 am
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
I think the biggest thing is to do something no one else does, that way it makes your event rememberable. Sometimes Van runs can pretty much be the same thing every time, its nice to mix it up a little bit.

example of some of things other people dont do that makes there event special.

Midwest - Shots with Woody and their pub crawl

County Line - Thursday night Chase the Ace and Friday night games

Hy Rollins - Halloween party and kids trick or treat.

Last edited by Lil_Ed; April 05th 2012 12:02 pm.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
Co-Chair 40th Van Nationals
President - County Line Vans
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750547
www.wivancouncil.com
Robd #553847 April 05th 2012 12:03 pm
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Unfortunately here in MD, there aren't any "local" evants anymore. Our club just heads to PA or VA for some of the local evants there. At this point our club isn't big enough (or rich enough) to put on a show. Perhaps that will change in the future..I don't know. I always have a good time no matter where I go. I like to mingle around with other vanners, but I don't play any games...just a personal perference.

Nate Breece
Robd #553900 April 05th 2012 4:26 pm
R
R
I have had my van since 1977 never joined a club wish I had . I went to a event and enjoyed it very much . It maybe a lot to organize kind a swap meet parts/one of a kind hard to find museum show .

[Linked Image]
reenasrockman #554373 April 07th 2012 10:12 pm
journeyman
journeyman
I love the "swap meet parts" idea. But I'm not familiar with events (never been to one, being from Europe, and VERY new to Vanning and all :)), might be something thats all to common already. Sounds like a brillant idea to me though :p

Life is all about priorities

[Linked Image]
[/image]
Robd #555658 April 13th 2012 10:28 am
Robd Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Awesome replies guys!

I'm just trying to get different ideas, hopefully they will be put to good use to our own eVant instead of a one day show.

Back in my younger days, I remember the friendship poker at spring fever, but they haven't put that on in a couple years. We are doing one similar at our upcoming show tho.. we will see how it works.

I love the pub crawl, and at MASVA's Summer blast 2, they are doing one that is a food crawl, I like this too.

Swap meets sound like a good idea!! I will have to remember that one.

I like just bringing people together and enjoying everybody having a good time with no drama/bs.

[Linked Image]
Robd #555665 April 13th 2012 11:06 am

Vanthropologist

Vanthropologist
A one day show is the best way to get your feet wet and introduce your club to everyone. If you start small this year with a one day show it will give you a good taste of what you will need to do for a weekend event.

Robd #555672 April 13th 2012 11:38 am
Originally Posted by Robd
Awesome replies guys!

I'm just trying to get different ideas, hopefully they will be put to good use to our own eVant instead of a one day show.

Swap meets sound like a good idea!! I will have to remember that one.

I kinda had one of these at The Cove, well it wasnt a swap meet it was a giveaway of van parts....might do it again in Aug in the Laguna Mts at Wild in the Woods....

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now