by MufflerMan Mike - March 27th 2024 5:15 pm
1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rear Louver mounting idea -what do you think?
#553410 April 02nd 2012 6:48 pm
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
With the ongoing thread on ABS plastic repair still echoing about inside my head, my mind wandered over to my rear window louvers, which I think are also made of ABS.

I haven't mounted them yet, since I'm going to convert from fixed to pop-out windows. But, it's finally getting to be that season, so I need to get ready!

The thing is, I've never been keen on the double-sided tape mounting which is normally suggested for the louvers on pop-out windows. It would make the rear windows impossible to clean, and the louvers could still easily fall off as the tape adhesive ages and dries out.

Now you'll get to see firsthand how my thought process works... Watch out kids; it may get scary, LOL!!

;0)

Well, as I was driving home from a conference in Pittsburgh last week, I began idly thinking to myself about how in a perfect world, I'd *really* like for my louvers to be removable, for multiple reasons.

If it were possible to drill the tempered glass, I'd simply bolt the louvers in place, but I'm not at all optimistic of the outcome when it comes to working with tempered glass!

I figured that there's simply *got* to be some way to kill multiple birds with one stone...

So, after a bit of reflection, this potential solution is what I cooked up:

How about if I were to get some large size truss-head stainless steel machine screws, like these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#truss-head-machine-screws/=gxoxkf

-in maybe a #12 or 1/4", and grind their heads totally flat, then glue them onto the window glass using that special superglue that's designed for mounting rear view mirrors onto windshields? This would leave me with nice studs to bolt onto...

I envision a process somewhat like this: I could drill 8 holes in the louver surround flange, and install the modified screws in those holes using low-profile stainless Nylok nuts covered by snap-cap screw covers.

Apply glue to the screw heads, then clamp the entire assembly up against the glass, permanently gluing the modified screw heads down to the glass.

This process would assure that the hole-to-screw alignment would be perfect, reducing stress on both the glued studs and the ABS plastic louvers to a minimum.

The Nylok nuts won't vibrate off, yet would still allow easy removal once they've been threaded on and off a bolt a time or two. I'd do this in advance of the gluing down so as to not unnecessarily strain the live parts...

The snap caps serve multiple purposes; in addition to cosmetics, they act as load spreaders, reducing loading on the ABS louver's surface. And, if I want to drive with the louvers off, I could sit the snap caps and Nylok nuts back in place on the studs, so it would look far more presentable and be safer than having bare threaded studs sticking out from the glass.

If I went ahead and installed a layer of the single-sided version of the double-sided foam tape on the undersides of the louver's flanges, it would act as padding so the louvers wouldn't rattle or warp inwards excessively over time.

I've seen a type of perforated plate large-head threaded stud which would be wonderful for use with glues, (body panel adhesive, anyone??) but the head is actually rather huge, and I'm not sure if grinding them down in diameter would affect their mechanical integrity:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=gxozia

I'm inclined to go with the modified truss-head screws...

It will probably still be another month or so till I pull the rear doors to paint them, so I've got plenty of time to refine the basic idea if need be.

So, what do you think? Does it sound like a reasonable experiment?

Do you think that rear view mirror glue is up to the task?
(And yes, years ago I had a few mirrors fall, but with 8 studs and fresh glue I think the odds are on my side overall.)

Any other thoughts or opinions on the matter?

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Re: Rear Louver mounting idea -what do you think?
Ram4ever #553413 April 02nd 2012 7:08 pm
veteran
veteran
Sounds like a plan! them heads U glue better B perfectly flat!! seen Lotta mirrors fall off,an seen some ya couldn't get off!! rofl

[Linked Image]
79 B-200
Ram4ever #553420 April 02nd 2012 7:16 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Sounds good as I got your drift . I think you could use acorn nuts with blue locktite. You know me I would polish the stainless acorn nuts to a mirror finish and just bolt them on. Screw the Nylok's. That is a good idea as long as you use Stainless steel bolts, shaved with the thin heads, to the glass.
Good Idea
I did think the louvers for the pop out glass had clips to hold them on and only used the tape for solid mount windows. The glass is quite a bit larger for the pop outs opposed to the solid windows and there is a difference in the size of the louvers also. I think I remember a guy just popping the louver under his gasket on the solid mount windows
Do they (Dodge Parts)still offer the latches and hinges for the pop outs? Plus gaskets? It would be worthwhile to get new parts opposed to junk yard hardware, Hard to find now days at best. Dealer might still be available I would call. Those rear glass covered a lot of years without changing and they still could be there in Detroit warehouse. I get a lot of stuff through my dealer. I did get complete door seals and window gaskets all the way around both front door windows. So there is still stuff available for you.

Last edited by Phoenix; April 02nd 2012 7:22 pm.

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Ram4ever #553433 April 02nd 2012 7:38 pm
H
addict
addict
H
I would go the cap nut route but with thin stainless lock nuts possibly behind the louver gaining a little wiggle room for weather and doing away with any tape on the glass,also consider gluing (with hobby store cyno) a small plastic/rubber mount to spread stress on the glass then the stainless ready rod i think u can pick up the 1/4 20 ready rod at home bleepo

Hoagie #554013 April 06th 2012 2:23 am
A
A
I'm interested in this project, just got a pair of doors at my P&P (cheap) mainly for ventilation while parked - and cause the rubber is real good on 'em:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
But I do like the louver look - these are my doors as is - mismatched and fixed glass
[Linked Image]

I'll be looking for your pics + ideas on this. Removable louvers? I like that!

Ram4ever #554021 April 06th 2012 6:23 am
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Sounds like a Great idea,Hope it works out

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
Ram4ever #554032 April 06th 2012 7:14 am
veteran
veteran
What about a clip like this? (smaller of course)

[Linked Image]

And you can take the hanle off. (some of these you have to watch)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member Shenandoah Valley Vans
Van = Party. Party + cool people = Vannin'. Lets go Vannin'!

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)