Print Thread
Rate Thread
From the Van of Raoul
#543089 February 27th 2012 12:07 am
R
raoul Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I absolutely hate flying commercial airlines. It used to be that getting on flight to some part of the country was an exciting adventure. The baggage was checked for free by a friendly, helpful counter person; the plane left relatively on time; you had plenty of leg room; were served a meal (included in the ticket) by stewards/stewardess’ who attended to your every whim with a smile; and when you got off the plane, you had reasonable expectation of finding your baggage at your destination and in one piece.

Today, there is no pretence that anything is free, including checked bags; the vast majority of the staff seem to be on the verge a murderous breakdown; and flying in the interior of a commercial airplane today generates a feeling of kinship with cattle in a train car on the way to slaughter. This after having the singular privilege of being molested, groped, having your privacy rudely invaded, and being assumed guilty of being an internationally infamous terrorist by the TSA.

Of course, all of this is the very antithesis of what vanning is all about. I would have liked to have arrived just ahead of the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe of my van, but unfortunately, the economics of time and money trump spirit and desire. It is with these thoughts that I flew in to the St. Petersburg, Florida, this year for the Council of Councils.

I really like the Tampa Bay area. There’s a laidback vibrancy that permeates the area. Maybe it’s the mixture of Spanish colonialism, a history of buccaneers, pirates, and privateers that used the bay, or early Americana influence that makes the people of Tampa Bay some of the nicest and most interesting people in the world.

Maybe it’s that Tampa and its surrounds aren’t Orlando where the crowds are insane and the drivers all seem to be unable to drive, can’t drive, or are highly agitated locals who don’t want to drive. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s not Miami with all the crime, corruption, and “beautiful people.”

Personally, I think it’s the breezes that blow in from the Gulf of Mexico. These winds start somewhere in the South Atlantic, move westward across the Lesser Antilles, over Trinidad and Tobago and across the Dutch Antilles. They turn north, sweeping over the Yucatan peninsula while kissing the western edge of Jamaica and Cuba. Then they flow on north past the coast of Mexico and Texas. From there, these breezes turn west and stream over the bayous of the Mississippi delta country and down Bourbon Street; then across the shores of Alabama, Mississippi and the white sands of the Florida panhandle. After all this, these winds turn south to deposit the sounds and rhythms of calypso, salsa, reggae, rumba, jazz, and southern rock into the Tampa Bay.

From all this comes an eclectic and throbbing rhythm and soul style that seems to be found nowhere else in country, maybe the world.

I arrived Thursday night in order to get settled in and have time to meet and greet some old and new friends. One of these vanners was named Casey Dia. I managed to rendezvous with him for brunch on Friday. Casey has been around for a long time but few know him because, like me, he tries to remain humbly obscure.

We met at a small diner not far from the hotel. The discussion was about the usual things: family, the state of the country, vanning, and eventually, the Council of Councils.

“Things sure have changed,” Casey reminisced. “I remember the first Council. It was ’77 and it was held at a hotel in Tallahassee. Only two councils showed up; the Florida Van Council and the Southern Van Council. There weren’t much partying going on. A lot of ‘delegates’ drove in for the meeting, and then drove home that afternoon. T here wasn’t a bunch of info exchanged, and the festivities afterward amounted to drinks and a jukebox in the hotel lounge.”

“Besides you being there, do you remember anyone else who attended,” I asked.

“The only one I remember being there was John Cunningham,” he stated.

“You mean the one they call ‘Scribe?’ The guy who takes all the notes at the Council of Councils? That guy seems to have been around forever,” I marvelled aloud.

“Yep, that’s the guy,” Casey said. “Is he that old? Well, stories have it that he was around when the Alphabet was invented. And rumors have been heard that he was on the beach to provide Pina Coladas to Ponce DeLeon when he came ashore to search for the Fountain of Youth.”

“Come on,” I said, “you expect me to believe that; rum hadn’t been invented yet.”

“Raoul, do we really know when rum was invented and who first made it?” Casey asked. “Besides, it doesn’t matter how old he is. I just hope I look that good when I get that age, whatever it is,” he mused.

I tried to bring us back to the changes that have taken place surrounding the Council of Councils.

Casey, with a sigh, averred that things had greatly changed since the very first CofC. He noted that today vanners start showing up for the Saturday meeting on Thursday, if not sooner. He went on to say that now there are planned activities like custom shop, shopping, and bar/brewery tours, not to mention cruises and sailboat excursions. There are live bands Saturday night and raffles for some really neat stuff. He even pointed out that now people are trying to have a show-n-shine to showcase local vans and to bring in more van enthusiasts (to me, a great idea). This year, there’s even a plan to have vanners stay over Sunday night for a Super Bowl party.

Yeah, things have changed, but for the better according to him. Casey argued that what was once just an idea for a semi-formal regional exchange of information, has now turned into vanning’s only true international event, with more that twenty-five attending councils and nearly a dozen more registered. Furthermore, sites for the CofC have moved well beyond the Southeast. Councils have been held from Seattle to Los Angeles, Rhode Island to Texas, Wisconsin to Las Vegas and points in between. Councils have even been held in Canada and England. And of course, they are still held in Florida.

It was an interesting conversation, but I had to get back to the hotel. The gathering had already begun. It was time to dive in to the pool, so to speak.

Monday it was time to leave. I hopped aboard a flying cattle car and made my way back my Colorado winter wonderland and some of the highest vanners in the world.

Next year, it’s on to Massachusetts. But first, there’s Freeze-Out in Missouri in mid-March. Then there is Vanniversary in Iowa in April. After that, there’s Spring Fever in Missouri in May, Woodie-Boogie in Colorado in June, VanFair South in Texas a week or so later, and of course the National Truck-In in July. I hope to attend all of these events because the End of the World is coming in December, and I don’t want to be left with regrets.

So if you happen to see me on the road or at an event, come up and say “hello.” Forgive me if I don’t remember your name or where and when we last spoke, but the way I see it, it really doesn’t matter. What matters is I get one more chance to remember.

Raoul

Re: From the Van of Raoul
raoul #543760 February 28th 2012 8:26 pm
S
S
well said sir

raoul #543835 February 29th 2012 3:19 am
Thanks for the great story! I have one question though: does casey dia hang out with pete sahpie? grin

I go to Truck-ins. How about you?
raoul #543955 February 29th 2012 3:36 pm
R
raoul Offline OP
OP Offline
R
No Matchstick, but he travels a lot with his wife, Sofie Pia.

raoul #543958 February 29th 2012 3:48 pm
R
raoul Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Just got the news (at least to me). VanFair South was moved to April a few years ago (where have I been), but it doesn't really matter because there is no word that the event will even be held this year. Oh well, time to look for another eVANt.

raoul #544945 March 03rd 2012 6:28 pm
stranger
stranger
Well done, my friend. I wish we could have been in Florida to see you as well as other friends that we miss. I'm glad you were well enough to make the trip and I enjoyed reading this.

Cinnamon from Twin City Vans, Inc. Hosts of MN's only vanning on the weekend before Father's Day each year. In 2018 it will be our 43RD annual "Good Times Truck-in" on June 8-10th at the Fillmore County Fairgrounds at Preston, MN just south of I-90 between Rochester, MN and the Iowa border along Hwy. 52. Hope to see you there! We also are sponsors of the "Chariots Of The Gods" Custom Van and Vintage Camper Show and Camp-Out which will be August 18, 2018 in NE Minneapolis, MN.
raoul #546395 March 08th 2012 1:51 am

Vanner Extraordinaire

Vanner Extraordinaire
You, my friend can spin a tale!! Thanks for the fun read...

Howard
"Nickels and Dymes"
Midwest Vans Ltd.
Vanfest Staff
Ontario Federation of Vanners Rep since 1978
National Truck-In Board since 1986
First van event-a hall party...March, 1974...ain't been right since!!!!!

raoul #546570 March 08th 2012 5:33 pm
D
D
Raoul,

It was great to meet you at CofC (we're the ones that used to be in RMVD in the old days). Keep us posted on things in Colorado. Hope to see you at Vanniversary in Iowa and the National.

KOT

Bleu Kat

da_Bleu_Kat

Missin' my old blue '75 Chevy "Already Gone"

Rocky Mountain Vans of Denver (Former)
Experimental Vans of Houston (Former
Doit Vans (our own brand)
I.B.O.B. & 2%
da_Bleu_Kat #547004 March 10th 2012 12:47 pm

Knews Anchorman

Knews Anchorman
I wish that you would - and could- write more often my friend, because when you do it is spectacular.......I'll see ya (hopefully) at the natz...Last year I was so embarrassed because I didn't immediately recognize George Kettell.......But I have an excuse- I am getting old !

Knighty

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users