Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 651 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 650 651
Re: What Did You do To your Van Today?
FinallyaVanner #524024 December 27th 2011 3:09 pm
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by FinallyaVanner
OK rub it in. At least lostinthe70eees you can open a door and see your van. All I have are pics of it going through cosmetic surgery. I could drive the 50 min. drive to see her.

Looks like I picked the wrong week for sniffin glue!!

All you hard core 2% vanners; Say hello and be nice to your van/s every waking day. Drive your vans often, because you don't know when they may go!!
Man separation anxiety sucks.
I want my van back. I can even look at pics of it. Just doesn't help. This may sound weird, but she is a part of me.

Hopefully I will have her back by the next outing here in L.A.Hopefully.

Richard
I feel the same, you get attached and it does become a part of you. One thing you need is a vintage Dodge van plate on the front. PS I have one. smile

AdSense long
lostinthe70eees #524033 December 27th 2011 3:44 pm
old hand
old hand
lostinthe70eees; I was thinking of that, but Calif. has a two plate law, but that was because of the Red Light Cameras. Now they are supposed to be going, gone kaput. To me they were a waist of money. Intersection collisions were down, but rear end collisions were UP!!!
So maybe the two plate law will change or not be enforced. Yet with all the financial difficulties Calif. is having, I wouldn't bet on it!!!
Thanks for the offer all the same. Who knows I may hit you up later!

Richard

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

HighwayStar #524052 December 27th 2011 4:42 pm
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by HighwayStar
Very interesting guys....so if I have them blasted and chrome powder coated and didn't like them, I can always paint {body color}over the powdercoat on the insides with chrome fins for the retro look... beer

I would for sure inquire whether they will use sand or glass beads. Sand will stick and stay in the aluminum because of the porosity of the aluminum, it is more aggressive and depending on the grit, can take more air pressure to blast with it. I am sure they want to rough up the wheels to get a good surface for the powder to adhere to. The body color would look good, probably better than just argent. Since they will be blasting them back clean anyway, you can take two of them, tape off the fins, spray one argent and the other gold, use a scotchbrite to shine up the fins a little and slip them up on the van and see what you think. They would also look good with a cast iron gray between the spokes. It's extra work but sometimes the best way to decide is just try it.

'85 GMC Shorty
'98 Suburban K2500
'98 Pontiac G8 GT
'77 Pontiac Astre
'95 Jeep Wrangler
"I thought you weren't allowed to talk to guys with vans??"
HighwayStar #524055 December 27th 2011 5:14 pm

Vanaholic

Vanaholic
Originally Posted by Bullet
I have been fitting the rims I got with the van and went to Summit Racing and found new lug nuts and washers to mount them...I might try something I haven't seen done to these rims before, I'm going to take them to a powdercoat shop and maybe have them sprayed bright silver metallic or powdercoat chrome... I also have some brand new Western hub covers coming I got off of ebay for 28 bucks shipped. They're black and chrome with ribs down the side and a chrome 'WESTERN' on top of the cap outlined in black. I'm thinking this might look real cool when done, will see..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just got a price from the shop to do the powdercoat to the wheels...60 bucks each including the sandblasting . I'm going down next week to look at the color chips...he says he has a real nice bright argent silver sparkle I might like or chrome , will see .....

I've seen a couple bumpers powdercoated with the chrome, they looked good, from 20 ft you couldn't tell the difference. I'm not sure how it would look with all the texture between the fins tho'.

You think the bright argent silver might look better ? I'm experimenting here..and open to criticism ... coffee

Hard to tell from photos but we sandblasted these wheels on Jerry's 72 then wet sanded the fin tops and outer portions of the wheel then used a small air grinder with buffing wheel attached to polish them to a nice shine. We used the hammered Rustoleum black for the inner portion of the wheels and a cast aluminum on the back side. They are holding up great on their second year. I can get you some close ups if needed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Darrin Bentley
Chairman 2015 Nationals
Director: Vanatics Van Club
Member of Bad Boys of Illinois
92 GMC 3500 454/4bbl

roiboi65@yahoo.com
www.cardomain.com/ride/2385823/1

[Linked Image]
vanatic05 #524067 December 27th 2011 5:33 pm
old hand
old hand
To me I'd think that Argent would be more forgiving then chrome for imperfections. And the color powder coat will conceal minor pits and divots.
You might want to ask what their medium is sand, glass, walnut shells, plastic pellets and so on. you'd want the one that does the best job with the least damage. So when they tell you post it or look it up to see if it is what you want.
These rims and this van fell into the right hands. It's going to look great!!!!!
Keep us posted!! And don't forget pics.

Richard

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #524076 December 27th 2011 6:13 pm
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
Started pulling the front end apart getting ready to yank the motor

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #524077 December 27th 2011 6:16 pm
A
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
A
Had to clean the snow off it. frown

wrcsixeight #524104 December 27th 2011 8:12 pm
addict
addict
put on some much needed mirrors

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Bullet #524107 December 27th 2011 8:26 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Originally Posted by Bullet
Very interesting guys....so if I have them blasted and chrome powder coated and didn't like them, I can always paint {body color}over the powdercoat on the insides with chrome fins for the retro look... beer

I would for sure inquire whether they will use sand or glass beads. Sand will stick and stay in the aluminum because of the porosity of the aluminum, it is more aggressive and depending on the grit, can
take more air pressure to blast with it. I am sure they want to rough up the wheels to get a good surface for the powder to adhere to. The body color would look good, probably better than just argent. Since they will be blasting them back clean
anyway, you can take two of them, tape off the fins, spray one argent and the other gold, use a scotchbrite to shine up the fins a little and slip them up on the van and see what you think. They would also look good with a cast iron gray between the spokes. It's extra work but sometimes the best way to decide is just try it.

Thanks for all the info Bullet...Im looking for a brighter look and It's hard not to just go with S/S Cragars....but I keep thinkin I can do something with these rims I'll like... smile

[Linked Image]

Proud member: Shenandoah Valley Vans

............" REALITY IS JUST AN ELABORATE ILLUSION"..................

Page 20 of 651 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 650 651

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 16 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users