Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Air Shocks
Cliff #485929 August 04th 2011 11:37 am
Madman!
Madman!
Prolly the cheapest (good) way of doing this is to add an 'add-a-leaf' A pair of them sell for under $100.00

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Cliff #485977 August 04th 2011 1:16 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Or, go to the junkyard, get a $30 set of leaf springs the same width as the springs on the van, get a net set of u-bolts for the rear axle, and spend a weekend disassembling the spring packs and adding an extra leaf from the junkyard springs. I am going to do this to the springs on my brother' 74 Duster. I will be using a leaf from the springs I took off of his 83 Dodge shorty van.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #485990 August 04th 2011 1:51 pm
C
Cliff Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by Reed
Or, go to the junkyard, get a $30 set of leaf springs the same width as the springs on the van, get a net set of u-bolts for the rear axle, and spend a weekend disassembling the spring packs and adding an extra leaf from the junkyard springs. I am going to do this to the springs on my brother' 74 Duster. I will be using a leaf from the springs I took off of his 83 Dodge shorty van.

Which leaf would I need to pull out of the pack to add?

Cliff #486010 August 04th 2011 3:26 pm
old hand
old hand
You will want to pull a middle leaf and use it. The top leaf has to stay as it has the eyelets for the spring mount. The bottom leaf may work just depends on how different it is from yours.

Make sure you do not have a broken leaf in your springs and that is causing your van to sit low.

All of these are bandaids, they may still bleed and will never heal a sick van the way a replacement new spring will.

Also, you said you wanted to be able to lower the van afterwards so your only options there would be to redo it after the move or get the airshocks or airbags and let the air out. If you use the airshocks, make sure you check out your mounts to see that they are in good shape and do not overload the shocks. Same goes for the coilovers.

If you go with adding leaves, make sure you have new ubolts and the straps that hold the leaves together, how many to add will be all guess work and trail and error. Too many could affect your pinion angle and cause u-joint issues.

If you go with the lift blocks, watch your emergency brake cable mounts and also use new ubolts. This could also affect your pinion angle for your driveshaft connnection.

Which method all depends on what shape your stuff is in , what your capabilities are, funds and how long you want it to last.

Star Dreamer
78 Full Custom Chevy
Ramblin Vans - HVC
Honorary Mild to Wild Van Member - Houston, TX.
She's not a trailer queen, she is just on vacation!
She even pulls trailers!

[Linked Image]2017 Van Nationals Show and Shine by buckeyebackup08, on Flickr
Star Dreamer #486011 August 04th 2011 3:34 pm
C
Cliff Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by Star Dreamer
You will want to pull a middle leaf and use it. The top leaf has to stay as it has the eyelets for the spring mount. The bottom leaf may work just depends on how different it is from yours.

Make sure you do not have a broken leaf in your springs and that is causing your van to sit low.

All of these are bandaids, they may still bleed and will never heal a sick van the way a replacement new spring will.

Also, you said you wanted to be able to lower the van afterwards so your only options there would be to redo it after the move or get the airshocks or airbags and let the air out. If you use the airshocks, make sure you check out your mounts to see that they are in good shape and do not overload the shocks. Same goes for the coilovers.

If you go with adding leaves, make sure you have new ubolts and the straps that hold the leaves together, how many to add will be all guess work and trail and error. Too many could affect your pinion angle and cause u-joint issues.

If you go with the lift blocks, watch your emergency brake cable mounts and also use new ubolts. This could also affect your pinion angle for your driveshaft connnection.

Which method all depends on what shape your stuff is in , what your capabilities are, funds and how long you want it to last.

Since it will be only temporary I think I will use air shocks. So I can do what is needed after we move.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users