1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mechanically Inclined in GA, anyone?
wrcsixeight #429743 December 07th 2010 9:36 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
draggnastro and wrcsixeight....

thanks for your responses. i have considered a new engine as it would be nice to start out 'fresh' on one hand. truth be told, i don't think mine is really all that bad. i am quite handy and learned how to pick a pretty decent car from my father. i think i did really well but i'm just frustrated in a time respect really.

annie hasn't been running well lately an i know i just need to give her some attention but the house has claimed all of my time lately and so when i go out to start her or drive her and she acts up i get frustrated with each thing i find. i know that many are small and it is just the desire to be working on her and not that house that makes me feel like they are big jobs probably.

anyway, enough whining like a woman on that one... ha ha.

as for some of what you've said... here's some replies that might help you help me a bit more.

i do know that the right manifold has /had a leak. the bolt that was holding on the crossover bar was broken off before i bought her and you could hear a pretty good leak from it. i think though that i've gotten that one solved with a hose clamp of all things that now keeps that tube in place. since then the van actually downshifts for the first time when climbing hills, etc.

on that same side the heat shield is broken off and i cannot put another on with the bolts rusted in. i think she's o.k. without it but am not sure.

as for the oil fouled plug i know for a fact it is fouled for two reasons. when i took them all out to clean them the first time it was covered. i cleaned it real good, put it back in and she drove beautifully. only a short while later the driving went back to as before and i check it again. again covered in oil. well, now that i've been really opening her up (getting more confident in actually driving her hard and not baby'ing her so much) i now notice that the oil is actually bubbling out around the plug. so now it is visible when the engine is running not just by removing the plug. that freaked me out a bit and i started thinking it might be something more severe. any ideas?

truth is, i am capable of breaking her down and rebuilding her but i just don't have the time right now. with a second set of eyes and hands the job would be quicker than learning it all myself as i go.

i also have tried three mechanics in my area and did not trust any of them in terms of what they were saying. all three said something different about what was wrong and what needed working on. since i know a bit, i knew that some of what they were telling me was hogwash.

i'd like to do it myself am just hoping to find someone to sort of mentor me if you will.

thanks, ya'll!!

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
nikothenomad #429751 December 07th 2010 9:57 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W

About the Manifold Crossover bar, I think you are talking about the Air pump injection tube. I do not see how reattaching that can help it downshift correctly, but perhaps I am not understanding your description.

About the heatshield, Mine disintegrated in 2003. It is actually not a heat shield per se, but kind of a heat collector. There should be a ~ 2 inch diameter flexible hose that runs from this heat stove, to the air intake. It helps the engine run better while it is warming up.

I used some coffee cans riveted together to fabricate a new one. It is held to the manifold with a large hose clamp. I also made it so it acts to keep the alternator cooler so it can produce more amps to recharge my batteries.

The oil seeping out from around the sparkplug is scary! I would not think anything should be able to get around the spark plug. That cylinder cannot be contributing any power.

I would start a new thread about that issue, because it is the single biggest issue Annie has.

wrcsixeight #429755 December 07th 2010 10:17 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
:o( I know. That is actually my primary concern (oil issue) before I do anything else even simple like changing belts. I want that oil issue fixed.

I'll try to start another thread but not sure where to put it. Ideas?

The tube is called the Air Injection Crossover Tube in my FSM. If you think of it like a T it bolts to each manifold and then the middle part of the T runs toward the front of the car. On the right side the bolt head broke off and the threaded part is still in the manifold so the tube was not connect where it needed to be but riding 'free'. Since I've got it in place when I'm getting more pick up and some (downshifting) when I go up hills, etc. Not sure if my 'downshifting' terminology is correct but she sure climbs better since I've done that. Before she would struggle on the easiest of hills.

Nicole
nikothenomad #429758 December 07th 2010 11:03 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
The Dodge troubleshooting subforum would be the right spot for advice about the oil squeezing past the sparkplug, but maybe more people would read it if it were in the performance/ non brand specific subforum.

I wonder if the Crossover tube being unattached could have had an effect on the cylinder that's pushing oil out the spark plug hole. Is it the cylinder closest to it?

wrcsixeight #429762 December 07th 2010 11:18 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Hey,

I tried the troubleshooting forum. We'll see.

It is actually the plug furthest from the tube (closest to the front of the car #2 I believe it would be called).

Nicole
nikothenomad #755768 January 13th 2020 2:47 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Just realized it has been 9 years since I started this thread and thought it would be fun to provide an update. When I posted I had just gotten the van and was very unfamiliar. To top it off we were getting ready to travel and live in it full-time and were unsure about the potential of having problems while on the road.

Nine years later... Here are the updates on the things I was concerned with when I made this thread.

1) Replace manifolds (bolts are rusted on) - Never did replace these. Still going strong.

2) Repair rings / seals (? not sure) on one side (oil fouled plug) - Never did anything other than regular plug changes. No more oil around plugs. Took care of itself or so it seems. LOL

3) Replace all belts - Never did before we left. Continued regular inspections. Eventually one did break on us one day when starting her up two years ago. So, we did them then. Not too challenging really.

4) Change all fluids - Done... easy enough and still done regularly.

5) Fix Over Gassing issue (adjust / clean carb) - Other than playing with some settings before we left and continuing to learn about carbs especially ours. However, we have not needed to do anything significant yet and are taking our time to learn about the system.

So, although our experience may not be typical, we have essentially learned that making her perfect was not important. What was important is knowing enough to do basic tune-ups and regular inspections on the big stuff that we don't otherwise have time to address. We don't push her and drive like grandma's but we've had nine years of experiences while still running a high percentage of her original parts. It has been an adventure and at 32 years young our girl is still the best in our eyes.

Nicole
nikothenomad #755770 January 13th 2020 5:33 pm
veteran
veteran
That's awesome. Share some pics and road stories whenever you get time. Sure everyone would enjoy them.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530