Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Van as hot rod.
#417543 October 15th 2010 3:46 pm
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Just a short rant, or rave, from a vanning newbie.

I've had this van for about three months, and I'm nuts about it. It's cool, useful, large, and has all the advantages of an old car as far as maintenance is concerned. Plus, the size means everything is easy to work on. I have an old '69 Coronet which I love, and I'm a hot rodder at heart.

But the van has made me think a lot; big, old, easy to work on, cheap parts, and requires more elbow grease than money to work on.
It's classic hot rod material.
I guess in the cycle of life of hot rod trends, the van never made the cut: Hot Rod magazine still gets crap for the days when they featured vans. But a van meets the requirements of Cheap and (comparatively) Fast, with a few bolt-ons. Hell, I want a cheap van to empty out and put a big block in, and take it to the drag strip.
I personally think vans are going to come back around in popularity (look at the Dice Magazine van, or the performance van trend in Japan). Trust me, the hipster kids are gonna pick up on this soon.
Vans have been relegated to almost outlaw status in the car community since the 80's, and that's a signature: it's gotta go away before it can come back. Living in CA near the beach, I still see surfer vans, and the skater and punk rock community crossover interest is clear.
You folks here on Vannin are the die-hards and new re-discoverers of a great tradition of DIY automotive customization.
Anyways, what I guess I'm trying to say is I'm fascinated by the potential of the Old Van. For myself, I'm thinking of clean, mildly customized street-and-strip material. Weird, you say? Well, why not? Like the Model T or the '32 Ford back in the day, they're cheap, they're everywhere, and they're easy to modify. Any wrecking yard has at pile of old vans in it, waiting to give up inexpensive parts.
I can think of five different project vans to build, without trying hard.
I guess I'm just enjoying my new obsession.
Thanks for listening!

'76 Dodge Tradesman
'69 Dodge Coronet
AdSense long
Re: Van as hot rod.
76tradesman #417565 October 15th 2010 5:26 pm
M
old hand
old hand
M
there is a lot of hot rod vans here in the midwest

aka Blue Heaven 77 gmc
76tradesman #417567 October 15th 2010 5:27 pm
Y
enthusiast
enthusiast
Y
I'm in total agreement with you, Tradesman! Vans have total utility and why not turn them into hot rods? From time immemorial people have been souping up vans too, even way back in the 60s and 70s. There have been van drag racers and exhibition vehicles, and as you mentioned, Hot Rod and other mags were featuring hot-rodded vans for quite some time during the 70s. So I figure they could come back into fashion. For me, that's how I'm building my 74 Chateau, with a rocking 347 small block. It already has a factory Dana 60 with limited slip! So it should turn out pretty cool. Then my next Chateau, a 72, I want to have an even bigger engine based on a 351W. I'd put a big block in there but they don't fit into 2nd gen Fords without major surgery. So yeah, I'm with you!

yogreasygramma #417574 October 15th 2010 6:24 pm
P
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
P
I'm considering Changing out one or both of my pickups for a winter beater/HotRod van. my Dodge trk sounds like a Hotrod and performs well enough, but i've gotten used to driving the Motel 6.

I DID NOT Escape, I'm on a Weekend Pass
Lifelong Disease, WhiteLine Fever
97 DODGE shorty, The ROCK & ROLL Train
New 4 Seasons Criuser, 74 B100, The Night Train
Member of the Toopa Sinner Tribe
yogreasygramma #417578 October 15th 2010 7:11 pm
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Yep. I love my Coronet, but always wanted a Super Bee which I could never afford. So how 'bout a Bee-styled van? Complete with 'Super Van' graphics, quarter scoops and a hood scoop (or 6-pack scoop in place of a normal roof vent)?
Little Red Express van? Totally works.

'76 Dodge Tradesman
'69 Dodge Coronet
PYSCHOWard #417579 October 15th 2010 7:13 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I have always had a hot rod van, Thats what vanners of my age have and always had, Make it look good and run like hell is chasing it...or as best you can afford, put a bed in back and go vanning. Thats what I'm talking about ! a good sound system is in there too. Get out there or stay on the porch ! You do not have to be rich to make your van sound good, and it's not a requirement... but it's more fun !!! smile

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Phoenix #417587 October 15th 2010 7:36 pm
P
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
P
Originally Posted by Phoenix
I have always had a hot rod van, Thats what vanners of my age have and always had, Make it look good and run like hell is chasing it...or as best you can afford, put a bed in back and go vanning. Thats what I'm talking about ! a good sound system is in there too. Get out there or stay on the porch ! You do not have to be rich to make your van sound good, and it's not a requirement... but it's more fun !!! smile

All the GOOD points of Owning a HOTROD.

Phoenix #417588 October 15th 2010 7:37 pm
P
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
P
My 1st of many Mopars was a 69 Coronet,it cost a whopping $50. In 1978 i found a 1970 Coronet 500, and fell in Love. The 69 is Still parked exactly where i parked it in 78, although someone Trashed it years ago.

PYSCHOWard #417596 October 15th 2010 8:13 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
Would THIS be a HOT ROD VAN? I think so . . . . . LINKY lets see, looks cool, goes FAST and is a VAN, yeppers, HOT ROD VAN!

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747