1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Re: ADVISE on what items I can change to improve my van...
mugsy #412968 September 23rd 2010 8:13 am
Madman!
Madman!
Unless you know how to rebuild a carb and know how to check aluminum intakes for warp-age, I recommend going with new. Cheap is nice, but other peoples headaches only complicate things. A 4 barrel carb, can get you better mileage, if matched properly to the rest of the engine and drive line components.

Your best bet is to make a list of what you have, engine, trans, gears, etc. Then let us know where you want to be (better performance, better mileage, etc.) and then a plan can be laid down to get you there. Reed has some good ideas above, but not all of them may be the best for what you want.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #413716 September 27th 2010 12:46 pm
OP Offline
I agree Superbeast. I rather buy new for things like this. Interiors and wheels and other stuff used is fine. Mechanical or electrical I always goes new.

How about this guys??

http://www.holley.com/502-20S.asp

[Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com]
James_Black #413729 September 27th 2010 1:19 pm
Maniac
Maniac
I think it is a lot of money for something that really is little better than a well tuned carburetor.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #413734 September 27th 2010 1:44 pm
Madman!
Madman!
yeah IMO switching to that will almost never pay off in the long run and is a lot more work to install.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

Superbeast #413741 September 27th 2010 2:02 pm
OP Offline
So ok.

If this was your van and all you want to do is change it to a 4barrel carb...what would you choose? Factory? Holley? Edelbrock?

[Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i818.photobucket.com]
James_Black #413747 September 27th 2010 2:16 pm
Madman!
Madman!
If it were me, I would start with an Edelbrock intake, carb and cam package. A set of Hooker ceramic coat headers, dual exhaust with some nice free flowing mufflers and update the ignition to the H.E.I. I was not a fan of that, but it seems to be the hot ticket today, and has improved performance for everyone that did it. Also a good air cleaner with a cold air intake will work wonders.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

Superbeast #413791 September 27th 2010 5:39 pm
Maniac
Maniac
If all you are doing is a four barrel carb upgrade. I would choose the Offenhauser Dual-port intake, or an Edelbrock SP2P intake. You can still get the Offenhauser intakes new, but, for what it is worth, I have never had a sealing problem with used manifolds, and the Dual-Port I have for sale sealed fine on my motor. I would go with a Holley 4360 carb or an Edelbrock Performer 500 CFM carb. I would go with a factory four barrel air cleaner with the cold air intake.

If you are dead set on new parts only, I also second the recommendation for the Edelbrock power package, so long as you don't overcarburate your motor. Go with a 500 CFM carb aand get an air cleaner with cold air intake.

Keep in mind that changing your carb will likely require you to change your kickdown linkage and possibly even the throttle linkage. I would go with a Lokar style kickdown linkage, and possibly throttle cable as well.

Reed #413805 September 27th 2010 6:46 pm
OP Offline
You guys have no idea how confusing this can be. lol
So many brands and models and suggestions and recommendations and prices and what to do and dont. My head is about to explote. And that is only the carb. Wait until I tackle the rest. lol

It will very simple just to replace everything OEM, but I know that with a little more $$ I can improve the fuel efficiency. I just didnt know they were so many options.

I wish there was an easy way to solve this.

Last edited by James_Black; September 27th 2010 7:08 pm.

James_Black #413839 September 27th 2010 9:46 pm
Maniac
Maniac
If what you are after is purely fuel economy improvement, just get the parts I suggested. You have to remember that most aftermarket parts (carbs and intakes) are designed and marketed to the "hot rod" crowd. Most cars are much lighter and more aerodynamic than our vans, and most performance parts are designed for high RPM applications, such as racing.

Vans are very heavy vehicles and the motor in a street van rarely gets above 3500 RPM, no matter the gearing. This means, especially for fuel economy purposes, you want an intake and carburetor designed for low RPM torque, not high RPM horsepower. The vast majority of aftermarket intakes are designed to start improving flow characteristics at 1500 RPM or higher, with only a few claiming to function well at idle speeds. You would do best with a stock four barrel intake or an Edelbrock SP2P or Offenhauser Dual-Port intake. These intakes have small runners to improve low RPM torque and fuel efficiency. As I said before, racers hate them because these manifolds don't flow well above 4,500 RPM, but your van will never see 4500 RPM. These intakes are a perfect design for a van.

For the carburetor, don't be tempted to get one that is too big. A 351 cubic inch engine that has a volumetric efficiency of 90% (better than average) requires 390 CFM at 3500 RPM. This means you will be just fine with a 450 CFM carburetor (such as the Holley 4360) or a 500 CFM carburetor (such as the Edelbrock Performer). People that recommend 650 CFM carbs on smallblock street driven motors either don't know what they are talking about or are thinking the motor will be turning 6000 RPMs +. Your van won't.

Frankly, I recommend you get your current setup running as good as possible. Don't be obsessed with getting a four barrel carb. Lots can be done with a two barrel. Lots of gains can be had by upgrading the ignition system and by recurving the spark advance curve in your distributor. A good tuneup, a good carb rebuild and adjustment, and some time spent fine tuning your spark advance can really make some big differences. Also check for timing chain stretch and timing mark slip.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Astro, Uncle_Fester 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (soundhd), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129
CatFish 25
frscke1 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746