1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Reed's Big Adventure (swapping 351 for 302, c6 for AOD, adding MAF) WARNING: LONG POST!
Reed #605351 March 07th 2013 7:27 pm
Reed Offline OP
Maniac
OP Offline
Maniac
Will do.

In other news, I think I fixed the leak on my C-6 transmission. I crawled under the van and wiped everything down and I think the leak was coming from the forward transmission cooler line. I put teflon tape on the threads and tightened it up. I hope that seals it.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Re: Reed's Big Adventure (swapping 351 for 302, c6 for AOD, adding MAF) WARNING: LONG POST!
Reed #686278 April 08th 2015 8:02 pm
Reed Offline OP
Maniac
OP Offline
Maniac
GAH! Long time since the last update!

The C6 leak was NOT fixed. I ended up pulling the C6 and having the original AOD rebuilt and installed. The AOD now works fine, but it is making very loud whining noises in all gears. I am hoping it is just a bad transmission mount, but I still need to check.

Today I FINALLY installed a factory air cleaner on my 89 Ford van.

[Linked Image]

This completely the engine swap and fuel injection system change I began on June 7, 2010. I have to say a HUGE HUGE thank you to Catfish for graciously giving my the one-year-only van-specific adapter to mate the MAF sensor to the factory Ford truck/van two barrel throttle body.

Catfish- I owe you buddy! Let me know if there is anything I can ever do for you!

I can already tell the van is running MUCH quieter. I had a crappy Specter brand cone filter on the end of the MAF for the last 5 years so I am VERY happy to FINALLY have a decent quality filter that will make it quieter.

Go back a few pages to see the crappy air filter i used to have on the van.

This air filter is a combination of the original 1989 air cleaner support bracket and a modified 1996 Ford air cleaner and intake ducting. It fits good with no interference or rattles and the hood closes.

Now, FINALLY, I can start seriously tuning the fuel injection system to get the most MPG and performance out of the engine.

Reed #686287 April 08th 2015 9:31 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Now you need the passenger side accessory mount for the '96 charging system with the side bolt 160 amp alt. angel

Can't be without a project..... lol

Reed #686289 April 08th 2015 9:56 pm
Reed Offline OP
Maniac
OP Offline
Maniac
Hey, that is on the list of things to do!

Reed #692389 July 21st 2015 11:02 am
Reed Offline OP
Maniac
OP Offline
Maniac
Quickie update.

Last year the guy who makes the Tweecer tuner computer I have been using updated the software. I tried updating my software but the end result was the new software not working and the old software also not working. I winged it for a few months running on the old tune I had saved, and then eventually removed the Tweecer altogether. My van ran OK, but was down on power.

A few weeks ago I was finally able to get the old software loaded back onto my ancient laptop and communicate with my Tweecer again. I started with a fresh tune and plugged it back in. It works! The throttle response is much improved, it runs smoother, and has much more power below 2000 RPM. My hope is that this will let me be able to use overdrive on the highway more. It used to be I could only use overdrive on long flat stretches and any sort of hill required a downshift to third. I haven't taken the van on a highway trip yet, but I can tell that driving around town the van has much more power below 2000 RPM. Cruising at 65 turning 1300 RPM might actually be pleasant now.

Reed #694391 August 25th 2015 10:49 pm
Reed Offline OP
Maniac
OP Offline
Maniac
UPDATE:

The AOD is no more. I took the van on a short trip last week. On the way home the transmission started vibrating, buzzing, not shifting right, and pouring fluid out the back. I pulled over and discovered the output shaft/driveshaft support bushing pressed into the end of the tail housing had worked its way out of the tail housing and onto the nose of the driveshaft. The rear seal was also on the nose of the driveshaft and the front of the driveshaft was wobbly and loose in the tail housing. I managed to limp it home but the AOD was hurting bad.

Fortunately, I had a rebuilt C-6 in my garage and all the parts to swap it in. So I did. I spent the last two days on my back under my van rolling around in kitty litter and ATF.

On the up side, I went by my local boneyard and found a recently scrapped E-350 based short bus that was equipped with a fuel injected 351W and a C-6. I grabbed the factory kick down linkage, the factory vacuum modulator hose, the factory shift linkage bracket, and the factory neutral start switch. Now all my lame but working cobbles are gone and the nice clean factory parts are in.

First test drive was promising, but I need to get more trans fluid tomorrow. Even low on fluid the acceleration is better and the trans is quieter. Hooray!

Reed #694395 August 25th 2015 11:30 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Dang Reed, sorry to hear that! At least you've got the right tools and plenty of experience at transmission swaps. That would be an incredibly unpleasant thing to do at my place. I hope your C6 holds up. Do you think you'll have to do much tuning to get things back where you want? Glad you could find the kickdown linkage!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Reed #694396 August 25th 2015 11:34 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I have a friend with a 95 E150 300/6 with a C6 pushing over 300,000 miles, they were the commercial workhorse for years, I can't understand why your AOD let loose, have that driveshaft checked for balance.

Reed #694401 August 26th 2015 12:41 am
Reed Offline OP
Maniac
OP Offline
Maniac
The AOD was significantly upgraded to the AODE (electronic control) in 1992. My AOD is an 89. The AOD was an inherently weak design from the beginning in 1980, but by 89 Ford had improved some of the internal oiling and increased the size of some of the servos, but it was still weak. With the AODE, Ford changed the gear ratios, increased the number of clutches, and did some other needed upgrades. The AODE was a significant improvement over the older AOD hydraulically controlled transmissions, and I believe that one lasted a very long time in heavy duty service. Ford should have built the AOD with the guts of the AODE from the beginning.

My AOD is the one the van was built with. It lived behind the original 302 in the van for roughly 18 years and 160,000+ miles while they towed a trailer in overdrive across the country. When I got the van the trans was beat as was the engine. I pulled the trans and replaced it with a rebuilt C-6 (the one I just got done reinstalling).

Eventually, I had the AOD rebuilt and reinstalled (I actually tried rebuilding it myself, but failed miserably), but the gears were worn (one of the roller bushings exploded in the case after I rebuilt it and got ground around in the guts) and the trans never felt quite "right." I could probably press the rear bushing and rear seal back in the trans and keep using it. However, I am going to tuck it under my workbench until the day comes when I either sell it or upgrade the internals with AODE parts.

My van was originally built with an aluminum driveshaft. It may be out of balance, but I suspect it might also be a bit too short. In addition to swapping the van from a 302/AOD to a 351/C6, I ALSO swapped the van from the original 8.8 rear axle a rebuilt 9 inch rear axle. The 8.8 and 9 inch rear axles are similar in dimension from the U-joint to the axle centerline, and the AOD and the C6 are slightly different in length. Long story short, I think running the AOD with the 9 inch rear axle and the original alumni driveshaft was a bad combination. I think the original driveshaft is a bit too short and wobbled in the tailshaft housing, EVENTUALLY causing the bushing to work its way out and allowing chaos to ensue.

Simplest and (more importantly) CHEAPEST solution for me right now was to put the C6 trans and driveshaft back in. I might mess with the AOD again, someday, but I honestly was never really happy with how it shifted or its acceleration. Even my short test drive with the C6 was like saying hello to an old friend. Crisp acceleration, good shifting, sharp passing gear. Plus, the AOD is a power hog and really killed my top end. With the AOD my top speed was basically capped at 70-75. With my C-6 I hope to get back to being able to go "M." laugh We'll see. I need to get more trans fluid tomorrow and top up the trans.

I was really happy and lucky to find that E-350 bus in the junkyard. I had been using a Lokar kick down and while it worked I wasn't really happy with it. The factory vacuum modulator and neutral safety switch was just gravy. Pretty close to the best $22 I ever spent at the junkyard, and I must admit that my Harbor Freight transmission jack is likely the best $60 I ever spent on tools. I have used it for years to do well over 15 trans swaps now. Tools make all the difference. I wish I had a lift. I am getting really tired of rolling around in ATF soaked kitty litter. I don't fit most creepers, so rolling about on the ground is all I can do. Seriously, I wonder if I could make a profitable business of renting out workspaces with lifts. Heck, even a pit would be an improvement.

Ah, I can't really gripe though. I got the job done, I only spent $22 so far, more to spend tomorrow on fluid, but if that fixes the problem, I am a happy dude. I really need to start fixing up the interior and getting serious about repainting it.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Astro, Uncle_Fester 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users