Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Certified Judges
#329516 September 28th 2009 9:07 am
nautic1 Offline OP

Showoff of the week on Cardomain 11/26/07
OP Offline

Okay I am going to propose a question here regarding the certification of judges. As most know at the Nats and CoC there is a class on judging a van. I have attended several of these classes. And yes I am a certified judge. Have been for several years along with my wife Wendy. My question is this, Does attending one of these classes and taking a test qualify the person to walk out on the field and judge a nationals? For some this could very well be the first time they ever judged a show in their vanning career. I was talking with several others at a recent event and they seem to agree. One class and a card does not a judge make thee. I hold nothing against the Nats Board and Howard, Judith, Coop, Paul etc for putting on this class. It is very informative and well worth the hour or two that it takes to cover. Truthfully several days of this would not be enough. There is just too much and I am still learning and have been judging for 28 years. It is just not something to learn overnight or in a few hour course. I would like to hear others thoughts on this as well as the Nats board's. You can now throw the rims at me. I will try to duck.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Susquehanna Valley Vans, Inc.
Host of Spring Thaw
PennsylVANia Van Council, Inc.
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Nats Board Support Staff.
Toopa Sinner Tribe
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224899
Nautique

http://forums.coolridesonline.net/member.php?4172-nautic1

"Remember,If you ain't laughin',you ain't livin'"

[Linked Image]
Re: Certified Judges
nautic1 #329519 September 28th 2009 9:15 am

LOST SOUL

LOST SOUL
Hey Phil,
I took the judging seminar at the CofC in Vegas this year. I did pass it & have my certified van judge card. I would think this would mean that I could be a judge at the Nats.
It is just a piece of paper,but it does say I am certified. Although nobody is ever 100% qualified to judge anything, I am confident that I could judge anything van related. I do know what to look for when judging a show. Just my 2%,Brad

Lordmodelbuilder #329523 September 28th 2009 9:26 am
nautic1 Offline OP

OP Offline

Basically what I am referring to is if someone who has never judged a van in any show. Really is not familiar with the details, etc. and is thrust into the biggest show they can possibly be put into. I have seen judges who you can drill into their heads no matter what that you do not score a van perfect in a category. As Howard has stated, you start in the middle. If the points spread is 0-30, start at 15 and go up or down depending on what you see and feel. A personal feelings need to go out the window. IE: "I hate Dodges but I am stuck doing these and Joe has a Dodge. I will show him. I will score him low because I can." I know, a radical thought but totally conceivable. To be honest with you I was asked to help judge an event last year with someone who never did it before. This person is a friend of mine but had never judged and was clueless in his own words. I walked him through what we were judging and left him go on a few by himself. Wanted him to fly on his own so to speak. He did ok. I know he took the class this year and I believe was certified. He was also judging vans at the Nats. Was he really ready for this step up or should he have had a few smaller venues under his belt? Just some questions I am pondering since all I seem to be doing lately is stare at walls. Yes I am taking my meds so do not ask.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Susquehanna Valley Vans, Inc.
Host of Spring Thaw
PennsylVANia Van Council, Inc.
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Nats Board Support Staff.
Toopa Sinner Tribe
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224899
Nautique

http://forums.coolridesonline.net/member.php?4172-nautic1

"Remember,If you ain't laughin',you ain't livin'"

[Linked Image]
nautic1 #329547 September 28th 2009 10:18 am
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
Good point Phil, but i dont think it matters if you have been judging for 30 years or 3 days, someone is going to have a problem with the way someone judges.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
Co-Chair 40th Van Nationals
President - County Line Vans
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750547
www.wivancouncil.com
nautic1 #329550 September 28th 2009 10:26 am
M
old hand
old hand
M
im sure this can turn into a can of worms.i was taught 0 plus judgeing,so most of my scores are always low.judgeing is always what you see,not always do even an experenced judges see everything.i think the idea of certification judges is a great start. and as we all know everything can be improved upon. how do we improve the system?

aka Blue Heaven 77 gmc
Mr Truckin #329566 September 28th 2009 10:53 am
Madman!
Madman!
Originally Posted by Mr Truckin
how do we improve the system?

Don't worry Phil, it's time for them to throw stuff at me grin

I agree with Phil and I also agree with the other statements above. I think the biggest thing about being a NEW judge at the Nationals is that the JUDGING SHEET is very New Judge UNFRIENDLY!

I have judged our clubs 7 van runs by myself and have helped at least a half dozen times at other eVANts. I have to admit I had the BEST judging sheet. I need to try and find one, but it was almost idiot proof. The idea that the Nats Board came up with the sheet they use was GREAT, but to me it is more for a seasoned VAN Judge.

I think this was an issue at Keystone as well. I think one of the classes got messed up because 2 vanners were judging the same class and had way different scoring techniques. Well needless to say the nicest van in the class received NO award, and the owner was pissed. Now the mishap is a speculation on my part, and I also realize STUFF happens, but like I said above, MY feeling is that a better judging sheet can be made up, to help new and old judges.

Just MOSTLY my opinion.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #329574 September 28th 2009 11:10 am
M
old hand
old hand
M
would love to see you example

aka Blue Heaven 77 gmc
Lil_Ed #329643 September 28th 2009 2:57 pm
B
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
B
Originally Posted by Lil_Ed
Good point Phil, but i dont think it matters if you have been judging for 30 years or 3 days, someone is going to have a problem with the way someone judges.

bow bow yeah bow

Boot #329689 September 28th 2009 5:41 pm
M
old hand
old hand
M
the best judging sheet would be a plain piece of paper?

now that would be fun

aka Blue Heaven 77 gmc
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Astro, GarfVanner, on the road 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members