Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Teen Vanners
#322213 August 26th 2009 7:37 pm

National Truckin Board Rep
OP Offline

National Truckin Board Rep
What are we going to do with them I ask?
Four years ago I went on a crusade to give the teens more of a break especially when it came late night time. I made suggestions of later nite dances and such and I thought this would catch on and the teens would like this. What I got was a slap in the face from them. Seems that they are into communications with their friends then taking advantage of late nite dances. Case in point was this year at the Nationals. Four years ago the teens were crying when the dance was shut down at ten. This year the dance lasted until midnite and instead of dancing all they did was text thier friends or text each other sitting right next to each other. I felt sorry for the music guy but as he put it, " I'm getting paid."
Well what should we do? What can we do? I guess there is no way to make these kids happy. Maybe NY will have some kind of idea. If they cannot get these teens out to enjoy events set up for them I don't know if we should go out of our way for them after that.
What do you think?
I would really like to hear from the Teens on this. Step up and let us hear it.

Thanks

Wacko
National Truckin Board

Moon Lite Vans NorthWest Chapter
Wasteland Vans Melbourne, Vic. AU
Vanning since July 1977

VANNING: NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!!
Re: Teen Vanners
Wackovanner #322218 August 26th 2009 7:52 pm
ya know, I think thats thing with teenagers, don't try to please them, they want to figure it out themselves. I'm not sure if there are a lot of teen vanners on vanning.com, again another problem. How can they get on and say what they want if they aren't on here?

Maybe they don't even enjoy coming to truck-ins and want to stay home and be away from mom and dad for a while. I'm not sure how you could remedy this.

I think the only way to get them excited is to involve them in something other than kids games. at that age it's time to start making the transition from vanner's sons and daughters to being vanners themselves, but in something like vanning where staying up late involves drinking and partying how does one let their kid do that? It's all up to discretion. hmmm maybe a more concerted effort to involve the teenagers above 15 in the adult games throughout the day, start weening them into being adults... hmm I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm trying to think what I wanted at that age. I think I just wanted to be left alone.lol.

scott the president of our club lets his kids stay up with us later, but after a while puts them to bed but none the less they hang out with the whole club out by the band for a while, they see us drinking and what not sure, but what they also see is us interacting with good friends and having fun as a family oriented group not just getting trashed. Scotts son turned 16 and will be driving soon and I think at that point we vote him into the club, as a member, not just one of the kids. It's up to discretion. what I'm talking about kind of covers 16 years up, on the 13 - 15 crowd, man, thats hard. sorry paul if this is rambling just trying to bring up some points.

I like the dance idea but like you said paul if they're just on their phones they don't care and it's not worth it.

Last edited by matchstickBGV; August 26th 2009 7:58 pm. Reason: added some more rambling

I go to Truck-ins. How about you?
Wackovanner #322219 August 26th 2009 7:54 pm
veteran
veteran
I to would like to hear what the teens have to say.

My initial thought is to let them(with their parents OK) be vanners. I gave up trying to figure out my kids long ago. Youngest is 22 and if she wasn't busy raising a family she'd be driving the van and making truckins with me. Her big brothers prefer to not even ride in a van. Go figure

Texas 2%
GreyBeardsGhost #322226 August 26th 2009 8:24 pm
Vanner
Vanner
Maybe a survey geared to them may be best.....Giving them what they say they wanted last year, is probably lame to them this year.....

May have to have them do the survey in text however, so they actually want to look at it.....

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Wackovanner #322227 August 26th 2009 8:24 pm
veteran
veteran
I'm 15, being 16 in November and I really don't hang out or interact with the others at events. I hang out with adults and such. I did happen to notice alot of the teens sitting on the bleachers at the nats. I think that they go there just to be there and to hang out with there friends. I would consider it more of a hangout then a dance. Whenever I am at a truckin I walk around with a friend of mine in my club Derick. We check out the vans and such. I know it sounds wierd coming from my mouth but alot of the teens are not supervised enough. Me walking around notice alot of things that go on at truckins that the adults don't notice. I obviously know what the teens are doing being one myself. I don't participate in that crowd at events. I just see what goes on, and keep it to myself and just say "atleast I am not in there shoes".

Mike

Last edited by Twisted; August 26th 2009 8:36 pm.

Runnin Wild Truckers

1972 Ford E100 Shorty [Linked Image]
1972 Ford E100 Supervan[Linked Image]
1974 Ford E100 Shorty[Linked Image]
1974 Ford E200 Supervan[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Twisted #322230 August 26th 2009 8:30 pm

Vanner Extraordinaire

Vanner Extraordinaire
Interesting observations, Mike...Any more ideas, let us know...

Howard
"Nickels and Dymes"
Midwest Vans Ltd.
Vanfest Staff
Ontario Federation of Vanners Rep since 1978
National Truck-In Board since 1986
First van event-a hall party...March, 1974...ain't been right since!!!!!

Twisted #322233 August 26th 2009 8:33 pm
veteran
veteran
Great feedback Mike! Any suggestions on what we can do to make it more enjoyable for you? I'm hoping you'll be hosting a truckin I go to someday and will do what I can to keep you in the game.

Texas 2%
Wackovanner #322235 August 26th 2009 8:37 pm
veteran
veteran
I think a good way is since the teens are with the club, and alot of them by now attend the clubs meetings and such (I go with my parents to our club meetings). It would be good to send out a flyer to the clubs and have it directed to the teens of the clubs. Have them write down there ideas and such, make a small pole on the flyer and have it sent back in.

Mike

Runnin Wild Truckers

1972 Ford E100 Shorty [Linked Image]
1972 Ford E100 Supervan[Linked Image]
1974 Ford E100 Shorty[Linked Image]
1974 Ford E200 Supervan[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
GreyBeardsGhost #322238 August 26th 2009 8:40 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Originally Posted by GreyBeardsGhost
I to would like to hear what the teens have to say.

My initial thought is to let them(with their parents OK) be vanners. I gave up trying to figure out my kids long ago. Youngest is 22 and if she wasn't busy raising a family she'd be driving the van and making truckins with me. Her big brothers prefer to not even ride in a van. Go figure

O My! I didnt know they let you reproduce greybeardless! rofl just kiddin buddy!!! angel

[Linked Image from i14.photobucket.com]
Keith Snotty LeVan
link to Moon Lite Vans Inc.
http://moonlitevans.blogspot.com
Co-Host 1996 Van Nationals
Co-Host 2005 Van Nationals
Co-Host 2009 Van Nationals
PennsylVANia Van Council
http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbt..._of_progress_on_the_97_4.html#Post110506

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Astro, GarfVanner, on the road 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747