1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Machinist,Hurricane and other van racers..More engine questions..
#29935 January 05th 2006 1:08 am
addict
OP Offline
addict
O.K, Want to do this in the most "fast for the cash" way. No matter how much weight I remove from the van it's still going to be 4000+ pounds. I priced out some 397cid stroker combos, Forged crank,Alumanum heads with at least 450 foot pounds of tourqe and I'm pushing 7,000 cash before it's in the van. A little more and it can have 490 foot pounds tourqe. A couple more grand and the AOD may hold up. I'll still have to spin the 397 to the far side of the tach to make that tourqe. Seems to me that this is the makeings of a parts breaker. Heavy weight,high RPM, Somethings going to give. Any agreement on this theory?? or am I missing something??
Plan B calls for a 460 big block stroked to a 514 cid. Can get it done for about the same cash or less. Alumanum heads will loss some of the extra weight. Over 600 foot pounds all day long. Can still use the vortech for that overkill factor. Will have to change the trans, but may have had to do that anyway.
I don't mind spending the cash,and I can recupe some of it with the sale of the 302/AOD combo. I just don't want to build something that may look good on paper but not work as planned on the track. I'm really trying to get this right the first time, and some of the looks I get when I say "yea, it's for my van" are pretty funny.
I want to make sure that my van will live up to it's Sledgehammer name. For your info, It has 3.55 gears in the diff and it will get a posi of some sort.
All your thoughts, Good or bad, are greatly appreciated..

AdSense long
Re: Machinist,Hurricane and other van racers..More engine questions..
#29936 January 05th 2006 1:39 am
Old fossilized vanner
Old fossilized vanner
I have a 347 stroke that is putting out 450 lbs of torque. It was $3600.00 with the aluminum heads. Once I added the alternator, waterpump, timing chain cover. intake,carb etc it came to $5200.00. Maybe you should contact the people that built my motor T&L Engineering at tandleng@aol.com and see what they would charge you for what you want.

#29937 January 05th 2006 2:50 am
addict
OP Offline
addict
Mike, If I remember your engine came assembled as a long block. I'll have to jump back and read the thread about your engine. I'll post the spec's of the engine I'm looking at. It's abit overkill with all the forged internals, But I want something that will handle all the vortech will push. I will also drop your engine builder a E mail and see what he comes up with.

#29938 January 05th 2006 9:15 am
G
old hand
old hand
G
you can never go wrong with cubic inch I have a truck with a mild 351m it always seems to be a good motor but I will be swapping it for a 460 out of an ambulance this summer everyone around here says that it will go so thats my plans

#29939 January 05th 2006 11:14 am
Madman!
Madman!
The answer to your question lies simply in what you want to do with the van. Small block, for short distance speed runs, Big block for fast and distance. They both will give you the horsepoer and torque you are seeking. With the big block you can use a smaller gear and not compromise anything. My 440 stroker does not need the higher gears to gain in low end torque to get the beast moving.

My opinion, you will be happier in the long run to go with a big block.

#29941 January 05th 2006 6:43 pm
H
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
H
I'm never in the postion to do everything I want all at once, so I do it in phases. Build a good foundation you can upgrade a bit at a time. For instance, my motor has the stock cast (gasp) crank and stock cast (double gasp) rods. The crank was polished and the rods were reconditioned. I'm going on 9 years with no problems. I also went with the hyperutectic pistons b/c I couldn't afford forged at the time. Again, no problems yet. I would love aluminum heads, but what I would pay for an off-the-shelf set paid for a REALLY good port job on the steel ones. Save 60 lbs or make a whole bunch more horsepower? It was an obvious choice for me.

Block prep and head work is the smart place to spend money. All that other stuff can be added later, but a good foundation is a good foundation. Plan out what you want to do in the end, and what you can afford to do now. A less aggressive hydraulic cam will still make decent power with a good set of heads, and it's much easier to stab in a bigger solid or roller later. A good balanced rotating assembly with high quality bolts is gonna be just fine until you can afford the big stuff.

I don't know what you situation is, some guys are able to throw down a ton of cash all at once, but if you can't, having a plan is better than having a lot of impressive parts sometimes.

#29942 January 05th 2006 6:57 pm
M
old hand
old hand
M
that is a thinkimg man. well thought out

#29943 January 05th 2006 7:50 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I'd build a 400, it's bigger than a small block, but smaller and lighter than a big block. If you go big block, supercharging will be difficult because the room is even less.
I can't see you being able to keep an AOD, they require too costly of a build to go behind real power, and still there is no garantee they will last long.
Getting a carb tuned right running the belt driven supercharger will be difficult, being it can't be done running under charge since they have a box over the carb for injecting boost. I can't see this type being very efficient either, they work best on fuel injected applications.
An intake mounted supercharger will require much fabrication on the engine housing, to allow it to fit.
You appear to be going overkill to allow strength for boost, are you perfectly sure you want to go with a SC, above I mention problem with room.

#29944 January 05th 2006 8:14 pm
M
addict
addict
M
Yo! Sledge! Don,t ask me, I,ve probably blown up more stuff and spent more money than I,d like to admitt! But hey! I,ts been one hell of a ride! If you got the money, go with the big stuff!

<small>[ January 05, 2006, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: MACHINIST ]</small>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 18 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530