Re: building a "Mule"
CatFish #272197 March 15th 2009 8:05 am
W
wookee Offline OP
carpal tunnel
OP Offline
carpal tunnel
W
Hey Doc been there done that got the freaking t shirt.
You know what they say about opinons.....
You are more than welcome to tell me all about it when you get that Chopped Ford or the Mid Ford or even the Chevy done and drive it to a Nationals or any evnent for that matter, some where.....

Being a little older a little wiser.Its the direction I am going in.Unfortunatly I might be taking a freaking dirt nap before I get any thing done.......LOL

At least there is a plan in place.....

It will be a Van pulling a Van to a Van event......
Every thing painted to match.......
Sorry, I kinda think that would be really cool....

Catfish, I have heard stories about some pusher/pullers contricting air flow.It does make sense that the A/c would run cooler with the pusher working the front.
I also though about the wad of condenres that would be in the front of the van,a tranny cooler the A/C condenser then the Rad.

A tow dollie is not an option.......

..........Wookee

Last edited by wookee; March 15th 2009 8:08 am. Reason: added more BS

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
wookee #272216 March 15th 2009 12:11 pm
"Canadian guy who lives way the heck out west"
"Canadian guy who lives way the heck out west"
Doc, we aren't on the topic of trailer queens... we already had a thread against the idea of trailering vans, and you were very active in it. This is a thread about tow rigs. It seems like you are trying to provoke something.

Give peace a chance... If you build a mule that's strong enough to tow a van, then you've built a van that can pull damn near anything. And if it is intended to tow a piece of precious automotive art where the canvas is a van, all the better. If we don't start treating vans with the level of care that a car collector would, vans will disappear.

Do you think you would criticize Jay Leno for his approach to maintaining his collection?

I'll probably get my fingers slapped by the mods because I'm so far off topic.

But let these guys share ideas about building tow rigs, without feeling the need to argue the virtue of trailer queens. I don't see any reason for negating anyone's topics, posts or suggestions UNLESS what they are suggesting is dangerous and should not be encouraged on vanning.com, in case there may be some liability in the information being published here, and in turn causes someone harm.

Corey aka sasktrini, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

[Linked Image]
wookee #272218 March 15th 2009 12:13 pm
addict
addict
yea a kick ass van pulling a kickass van.....yea the hardcores would give you a pass and might even take pics....:}

One thing i learned about guyz/galz who love to gather and party..you get all kinds of ribbin and comments compliments and snickers...but its that diversaty that gathers around a bunch of vans pulled in a circle that lets us all laugh at ourselfs and each other in a way only friends with a common cause can.................i think that mule out to have an egyptian army mural of slaves pulling a rope attatched to the trailer......now thats a show within a show..........although a 101 mule team mural from boraxo would look good also.......

gotta make that front runner look like its working its ass off........:}

sask......im not communications savey.....im still in the real world where conversations wander back and forth.....im not trying to start anything...just flowing the the crowd......i think a van mule is a great idea.........but when have you ever been in a real conversation that didnt wander a bit.

im not forum savey......nor do i care......thats just freelancing the moment........but ill try to stay catalogued on subject.......try is the key word......im not a conformist....but ill try....try is the key word there.......:}

and keep kickin my ass about gettin my rigs done........no slack from any of yas.......i need an ass woppin till there done

Last edited by DocCyber; March 15th 2009 12:18 pm.
DocCyber #272230 March 15th 2009 1:03 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Originally Posted by DocCyber
....although a 101 mule team mural from boraxo would look good also.....

Yeah...or a wolf pack harnessed up as a pissed-off shed team!

DocCyber #272236 March 15th 2009 1:15 pm
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
well ok then the conversation has somehow come around to trailer queens. First and foremost todays so called trailer queens are owned by real time vanners i do beleive. If I am wrong to this fact please tell me differently. I have been vanning now for well over 30 yrs now. I built and still own a van named Lunar Cruiser. As i would go to local shows back in my first years of being a vanner i would come across a van named "Dragon Lady" A truly radical van for the times and it had everything anyone would want to see in a fully radical custom van. As the shows would come and go this van always seemed to be there. I mean it was there as in the first one to be there. Not entirely a strange occurance except that the owner seemed to be someone we really got to know or even get a chance to talk with. Of course this really led to resentment for the fact no one could beat him it seemed. Well it came to be there was a new truck-in new to list of truck-ins we had to come to during the summers in New England each summer. Well this eVant touted a long list of trophies prizes etc. In this field just outstide the grounds was this trailer parked. It quickly got out that it carried the Dragon Lady to the show. The word spread as if it were wildfire. When it came time for trophies chants of trailer queen trailer queen rang out through the crowd assembled. This was to be the last as far as i know show that this van ever came to. Back in this day you see Vans were in everyones eyes not just vanners but ppl who just wanted to customize a van. I eventually joined the ISCA circuit and quit my job for a time to fully become a show parcipitant. This was the early 80's when custom vans were widely accepted to these shows. I did Cobo Hall in Deriot where the show promoter put my van in the A slot. A prime spot located right inside where you first came into the show once you paid to enter. It was similar in other shows i did. Now and then ISCA was nothing more than and it is a selfish way for hte promoters lining their pockets with everyones hard earned money. They frowned upon us vanners who drove our vans and NOT trailered them from show to show. Hell back in those days it didnt really matter to them if these vehicles had ever been driven let alone even had the engine turned over. So true division became apparent. So Fred was dead yet we went on.So alot of this resentment still remains and has ties to the whole issue of Fred etc. I never asked for assistance in any way during this time the money i won would provide me the money to continue week to week. ah but back to the subject at hand...... the joy you get out of having a van is to drive it sleep in it party in it etc. I could go on here but i wont as i believe i have probably put alot of you to sleep by now....... The bottom line is we are Vanners and let us treat each other as brothers and sisters not at arms length but at a hardy hug and vanner handshake when we assemble to this world we call a Truck-in...peace .....out

Dale Watson
live thru vanning
laugh thru its pursuit...
LunarC #272238 March 15th 2009 1:42 pm
addict
addict
I remember those dayz.......being in the custom business i know all about those who trailer and those who wont..it is a big deal.....it is woven in the fabric of our early vannin constitution....you didnt trailer your rigs.

but look if someone wants to dump a bunch of cash into just towing a van..go for it.....it can be done right.

I think the mule idea is a great theme.....but there should be a trailer queen trophy plain and simple.

I like the wild wolves......id step it up to grizzlies though and realy make that thing ferociouse

DocCyber #272250 March 15th 2009 2:40 pm

Vanthropologist

Vanthropologist
Originally Posted by DocCyber
I remember those dayz.......being in the custom business i know all about those who trailer and those who wont..it is a big deal.....it is woven in the fabric of our early vannin constitution....you didnt trailer your rigs.

but look if someone wants to dump a bunch of cash into just towing a van..go for it.....it can be done right.

I think the mule idea is a great theme.....but there should be a trailer queen trophy plain and simple.

I like the wild wolves......id step it up to grizzlies though and realy make that thing ferociouse

Reading this criticism of building the mule is very disappointing. In the past few months we have gone so far in gaining acceptances by the public at indoor shows across the country bringing to them vans and displays that can compete head to head with the cars. We've gained a new interest by the media and have even had a front page photo in a major daily. To discourage vanners from protecting these prized vans from the elements is unacceptable. To do this over a number of unrelated posts is crossing the line.

Virtual #272255 March 15th 2009 3:13 pm
veteran
veteran
I agree Virtual, well put, as to the rest of you guys why don't you just drop the trailer queen subject it's getting very old!!

Smitty
1976 Ford, 1976 Ford#2, 1978 Ford, 1988 Ford
2000 Dodge,1995 Harley RoadKing, 1999 GMC Hightop Cobra

Co Chairman Southern Ohio Van Council
Tri County Vans SOVC Rep
Member Tri County Vans 1975 to Present.
Former President Tri County Vans (No officers anymore)
Former Vice President Tri County Vans
Host of the 23rd Nationals 1995, 30th Nationals 2002, and 1999 C of C
Certified Nats Judge

smitty #272271 March 15th 2009 4:44 pm
addict
addict
I think building a mule is great.....nothing wrong with it but there is more then one voice in the vannin world and some of these subjects are as old as vannin themself so again the moderates want to come in and stiffle a conversation that has a history in vannin.

Some of you boyz have gotten old.......

as far as anyone accepting anything....you guyz control that, the media doesnt nor does the public..to think because you put a few vans in a show vannin might now be accepted....rediculouse....there have been vans in shows throughout the last 40 years+.its attitude and desire to be whatever you want to be.......you dont need to be accepted....you are accepted in attitude and what you believe

the thread was about turning that chevy into a mule.....well maybe thats money being thrown away...is trailering vans now accepted because the moderates say so...are you now the rule makers as well.............i dont think so......i think the radicals have a voice the left the right...and the moderates....thats the democracy i live in......the trailer queen subject is old......its not getting old...as lunar-c pointed out.........some of you guyz are gettin.....old......bring back the lawn chairs.

i thought the discussion was balanced and even and i enjoyed the whole read.....it wasnt boring but relavant

Last edited by DocCyber; March 15th 2009 4:47 pm.
DocCyber #272276 March 15th 2009 4:49 pm
old hand
old hand
yeah yeah tmi

Rick Blandford
V.O.I.C.E.S.
Oswego River Vans Assoc.
Fulton N.Y.13069
[Blue Magoo] {Trophy Hog}
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Charlie99909), 6 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
82Dodge, 66P20, Logans55, mopure, wldmn65
12018 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 204
frscke1 97
kursed 83
NEmery 43
CatFish 38
Forum Statistics
Forums68