Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The eternal question... why a van?
Ram4ever #245282 December 02nd 2008 7:49 pm
X
old hand
old hand
X
I've always loved vans. Growing up there was a man near us that built and sold 6 wheel vans and I had to have one. My first vehicle I ever bought was an 85 Dodge dodge b3500 which I made a 6 wheeler. I had plenty of good times with that van. Later on I was intoduced to truck-ins and that just took my love of vans to a whole new level. A van can be just about anything your imagination can come up with. On the inside it is a room that you can decorate any way you please mild to wild any style. The is NO other vehicle like a van. I have always owned a van and always will period.

X-MAN
[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Looking forward to the next Truck-in!

AdSense long
X-MAN #245338 December 03rd 2008 12:29 am
B
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
B
Of course you have to ask this question as I'm nursing a smashed hand, courtesy of workin on the curse van! lol

The van is, and always was, my solitude, my freedom, my form of expression. I'll never be done working on the van. I may take months off from it, thinking about what I'm going to be doing next, and the van waits for me, patiently. Everything I put into the van I get back tenfold every time I drive it. No matter what ever happens in my life, I'll always have a place that represents me, my style, and my creativity. I'll gladly trade a few busted knuckles for that, any day.

Boot #245666 December 04th 2008 10:02 am
Central Long Island Vans
Central Long Island Vans
Not a day goes by that I dont think about my vans, my Vannin friends, or when I am going to the next Evant!!!

I don't have anything else that interests me more than Vans.(of course family comes 1st) but they all make sure Vannin is concidered when makes plans outside of Vannin!!

VANNIN- Life's best kept secret..........
kevin nh #247308 December 10th 2008 8:11 pm
C
stranger
stranger
C
The first memory of Vans in my life was around age 6. My sisters and I were in the back of Dad's chevy Window Van sitting on a couch when a caravan of a Chicago Club (I later found out they were called Easy Liv'n Vans) passed us one our ride home. they all waved as they passed us many hit their horns. Dad had a CB and we heard them truck on through. I was sold. A few years later, Wed nights were dads bowling night, and Grandpa would take us out for Pizza at a local joint near the house. One side Pizza Joint one side Bar. Wed nights were the meeting nights for Easy Liv'n Vans. Parking lot full of Chrome and sounds, too much to take in on just a walk from the car to the entrance. So I would ask to go play Pinball and I would sneak outside to check out the lot.

Once I made it to High School ( a bit too much emphasis on the HIGH part) I knew who all the neighborhood Vanners were. It helped that my new neighbor was Activities director of Easy Liv'n. My Block would be lined with Vans on both sides of the street prior to leaving for an event. I'd steal ( I think he knew)my dads Delivery Van and follow (at a safe distance) until they got too far out of town. There were parties at the Drive In that had Flatbed semis side by side for the "Entertainment". No local Kegger party would do after that.

It wasn't the party that got me hooked though, it was the stories of the places they had gone and the things they saw along the way. It seemed the only time the club got along was on the road, so those were the stories they would tell me. Here I was introduced to Club "Membershilp" where the members took me from being the Kid following them around to the guy who ran Back Door any time we hit the road, and would eventually be Road Captain.

I don't think there was ever a time when I didn't feel that Vanning is what I am supposed to be doing. From my favorite Hot wheels to my first Van.

I must share this as well. Vanning changed for me the day I walked into Great Lakes Recreational Products and asked about a Visor for my Van (A 74 Dodge) The guy who sold me that Visor is right here on these Forums every day. Howard was the begining to many Vanners. From always having Flyers on hand for wherever you wanted to go, to offering up the empty seats in his Van for those who wanted to tag along. Want to know something about Vanning, ask Howard.
Thanks Howard for Showing me the Road.

I was a Die Hard Windowless Van person for years but when I asked my son what he wanted in the Van and he said Windows, I did what any respectable Vanning dad would do. Got a 66 Chevy Window Van.

The rest of my Vanning story is still under investigation so I am unable to release those details at this time.

Chooie

[Linked Image]

Finding my way back to Vanning.
Chooie_back_for_more #247313 December 10th 2008 8:48 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Hey Chooie good to hear from ya stranger! great story!!!

[Linked Image from i14.photobucket.com]
Keith Snotty LeVan
link to Moon Lite Vans Inc.
http://moonlitevans.blogspot.com
Co-Host 1996 Van Nationals
Co-Host 2005 Van Nationals
Co-Host 2009 Van Nationals
PennsylVANia Van Council
http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbt..._of_progress_on_the_97_4.html#Post110506

Chooie_back_for_more #247318 December 10th 2008 9:24 pm
K
addict
addict
K
Great story Chooie....always enjoy reading yours.
Ken.

acreativename #247323 December 10th 2008 9:48 pm
R
addict
addict
R
I ordered my 76 van when I was detailing cars at the local Chevy dealer at the age of 19. The van craze was in full swing and it just seemed like the thing to do then... My first evant was that summer in Butler, and had a great time there!! It was my summer vehicle for 15 yrs, and always had in storage to keep it out of the W. Pennsylvania salt. When my daughter was born, plus the fact that I lost my storage place, it seemed like the time was right to sell. A friend of mine was interested, and I knew he would care for it as I had. He had it for another 15 and it never saw the winter. He loved the van just as much as I did!! In 06 he suddenly passed away and I bought it back from his family. Seems he told his brother that I had first dibs on it. I have loved this van since I saw the car carrier bringing it around back!! Although I really didnt stay with the van movement ups and downs, or attend many van events, this old van has been a big part of my life. I am very fortunate to be able to grab hold of part of my past, and am more excited than ever about VANNING !!! You folks really are the best.

[Linked Image]
Radarlove #247326 December 10th 2008 10:18 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Great story Donald tug's at the old hart.. here's my story and i'm stick'n to it lol. in 1968 i bought my first car a 50's Jag xk120 it was and is a P.O.S. still got it in the hanger [Linked Image] in 1969 a buddy and i were on Main st. in Ventura Ca. and a cool early econoline went by with a big block chevy in it. man it was a hot sounding van well we ran the guy down (mike May) he was there cruzing every weekend. and the more i would see that cool van running down the road the more i wanted one. after a month or so i was going by the old Mission Linnen suply shop to pick up coverall's and rags for my dads shop and there in the lot was a bunch of old vans for sale some were junk and some were runners after looking theme over i bought my first van a 65 Chevy true panel van with no side door's heres a pick at the first King City Van Nat's in 73 [Linked Image] in 1971 the original 5 of us van owners started Channel Islands Van's at one time in the 70's we had over 300 vanner's in the club it was nut's to go on a run with all the van's. so after 39 years and over 200 van run's and a bunch of van's i'm still Vanning and love'n every second of it..

Last edited by weird Harold; December 10th 2008 10:23 pm.

Member of Lead Foot Trucker West Coast Chapter Pea On [Linked Image]
weird Harold #247336 December 11th 2008 1:41 am

Showoff of the week on Cardomain 11/26/07

Showoff of the week on Cardomain 11/26/07
I love reading these stories. I grew up through school reading the Vans and Trucks mags and others. Always fantasized of owning a van and customizing it and touring the country. Well I bought my 78 Dodge in 1980 from someone who was down on their luck and needed to get rid of the van because they could not afford it. Got a good deal on it too. Started working on it when I got it and came up with numerous interiors and themes until I settled with what it currently is. Have owned this van since 1980 and do not plan on getting rid of it. The kids have grown up around it and in it. Loved going to runs with them. Have had 3 other vans we used for the family to travel in as well as Nautique. They have come and gone but Nautique will stay. Love the van. Love the vanning lifestyle and love the vanning people. What more is there to say?

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Susquehanna Valley Vans, Inc.
Host of Spring Thaw
PennsylVANia Van Council, Inc.
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Nats Board Support Staff.
Toopa Sinner Tribe
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224899
Nautique

http://forums.coolridesonline.net/member.php?4172-nautic1

"Remember,If you ain't laughin',you ain't livin'"

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747