So I just started the next project on the van and it is quite an undertaking. First I removed the OEM radio and cd player. Fitted a 10.1" touch screen Android head unit. I still have to route and mount the backup camera, GPS antenna and the bluetooth hands free microphone. I hooked the GPs and Microphone up and they work very well. The GPs antenna grabbed 5 satellites laying on the dash inside my shop. I connected the radio to the hot spot on my phone and downloaded the Texas map and then downloaded OBDLink that ties to the OBD2 Elm327 device I have. I have swapped out the front speakers and the tweeters. I have the rear 5x7 and 6x9 speakers on order. Rockford Fostgate Punch line all the way around. The 5x7s are 3 way and the 6x9s 4 way. The internet based apps play very clearly off my hotspot. I will need to cut the radio craddle, reinforce it and find a way to mount the ac controller in the former CD player opening. The electrical connections and vacuum hoses need to be relocated to the lower opening in the dash behind the craddle but they are plenty long to reach. I will seal the upper opening off with a piece of textures ABS plastic cut to fit the opening. I used a Metra harness and the radio harness and spliced then together with solder and heat shrink before wrapping the wires with 3M harness looming tape to make a plug and play conversion harness. Still have to route a wire to the parking brake switch and the reverse input to the cluster. Finally have a dead Clifford alarm to remove out from under the dash and a new Metra power antenna to install to replace the failed OEM power antenna. I also installed the relay setup to give me 4 HI on the headlights in that the low beams turn back on with the high beams. With 6,000K LEDs the sucker is bright. Finally I ordered a flush mount dual USB connector to keep from having random USB cables hanging out from under the dash. You may notice I have yet to drop the 383 back in. That install is coming soon. Still have a few minor things to do and it is much easier to access the wiring and under dash without the engine in the way.

Head unit installed in the dash using a Metra adapter.

[Linked Image]

A/C controls now hidden behind the unit

[Linked Image]

Opening where the factory CD player resided and the a/c controls will be located.

[Linked Image]

Unit powered up and a Bowtie boot screen

[Linked Image]

Just some random playing around. It is capable of running apps in a split screen.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

USB connector that I am moubting in the glovebox section that bolts on behind the engine dog house. Will install it next to my wideband afr gauge and my exhaust cutout switch.

[Linked Image]

Finally 4 HI on the headlights after the relay mod.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1983G20Van; July 02nd 2021 8:31 pm.

1983 G20 Conversion Van, 350 TPI, Reed Hydraulic Roller cam, Ported 906 Vortec, Edelbrock 3817 TPI-Vortec Base, Doug Thorley Tri-Ys, Dual 2 1/2" exhaust, Speed Density 7730 ECM tuned by ME, 700r4 by ME, Stock 1,600 rpm converter, Rebuilt Stock 10 bolt with posi by ME, 3.08 gears, 358 RWHP @ 5,200, 384 RWTQ @ 3,400, 14.66 @ 95.43 w 2.28s 60'