Originally Posted by Dyno_Dave
Originally Posted by Reed
How about he has confessed to stealing it before being forced by a court to pay the owners for it? He then exploited the van and the generosity of others to get free parts and labor for the van. Finally, in an act of childish spite, he claimed he didn't know where it was and abandoned it after stripping it to a shell and ruining the paint. Is that really the kind of person that anyone wants to be associated with vanning and the nationals? If I had any say he would be barred for life.

yeah

You're an attorney Reed. Would a show and the club or organization holding it, be on good legal ground here?

Well, I do criminal law in Washington State, so the legality of excluding someone from the Nationals or a club is a bit outside of my wheelshouse. The answer would really depend on the anti-discrimination laws of the jurisdiction of the venue for the Nationals and the club. This gets into a tangled area involving the First Amendment rights of the organization, the anti-discrimination laws of the jurisdiction, and very likely other areas of laws I can't think of and/or am not aware of. If the event is open to the public, then it would be VERY difficult to keep one particular person out. If it was a private club or event that was invitation only, it would be easier to keep him out, but not necessarily lawful.

This case gives you a good introduction to the law in this area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_v._Dale

Shunning and public shaming might keep him away. I would like to think that he would have the decency to pack up his sideshow and just go away, but he seems like the kind of person who is shameless enough to put the van back together and take it to the Nats and shows on some kind of a victory lap.

This whole situation sucks. At first I was behind the "Wild Cherry" rescue project all the way. Then the more I learned the less I liked it. Now I am convinced he is an opportunistic scammer.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!