Hello all smile

My name is Sean and I'm in the Oakland California area. I've got a small 2 door sports car and was looking for something bigger. Was thinking about a Toyota 4runner, maybe a first generation old style... looked at a couple and nothing really worked out. In the meantime, there was an ad on c/l for this 1966 Chevy van ... scooby dooby doo!

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/jg4e5jcftkr2wat/vanny.jpg?dl=0[/img]

It's got a stonkin 292 straight six ... sounds great, smells like gas and gets about 13 mpg. Manual steering! I actually *love* the manual steering!

So many possibilities ... my plans for now are to fix little bits like stripped out door handle studs, fix hvac switches, and somehow increase the security on the doors -- they are going to be super easy to slimjim right now and the glass is really thin. Interesting problem. Future plans ... although I love the straight six as a unique powerplant I'm giving serious thought to a modern ls based engine ... say maybe a 4.8 with a new transmission. Hopefully could get back some gas mileage with that plus better starts and stops and lose the gassy smell.

Anybody in the SF Bay Area ??

Salutations!!

se habla espaniol

Update: Just found out about the Northern California Van Council on Facebook. Woot woot !

Attached Files
scubidu.jpg (189.59 KB, 43 downloads)
IMG_5608.JPG (1.28 MB, 41 downloads)
Last edited by scubidu; October 16th 2017 12:17 pm.