by CatFish. February 21st 2019 10:36 am
B250 turn signal wanted?
by MAIN64. February 21st 2019 9:41 am
Featured Links
Vanning.Com is a an authorized Amsoil Dealer

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion
2 hours ago
I meant.Mr Bill from Arizona. His Sprinter was red with some wierd,cool stuff. The hood had Mr Bill cartoons on it.
8 166 Read More
General Discussion
3 hours ago
Looking at stock fan blades, there is no Foil, no thickness distribution, just bent and angled metal designed to pull and push air. it works, it is effective, yet it is hardly an Ideal method for moving air efficiently.

To say it would be ideal, would be akin to saying airplane wings could just be flat. Same thickness front to back with no foil, no shape, all they need to do is be angled upwards to give enough lift to keep the plane aloft.

Now is it worth the effort to engineer a fan blade with thickness flow, like an Airplane wing?

Well, they likely could get more airflow for less noise and power consumed, but it would be a lot of work, perhaps too much mass.

Enter the electric plastic bladed fan. The impeller blades on many are not simply angled, they have foils, thickness flow, and perhaps even a skythe style shape, to better grab onto the air, and either pull it through or push it through the resistance of the alternator, AC condenser, transmission cooler and then across the engine.

So which is more effective?

Well which could be much more effective, no doubt the well designed electrical fan with a tight fitting shroud so all the fans flow is sucked through or pushed through the radiator.

I am a Fan enthusiast. Look at the engineering which goes into some Computer Fans, Like Noctua's latest 120MM fan.

[Linked Image]

Look at all the little enhancements, like the 'flow aceleration channels' or stepped inlet design to make laminar flow into turbulent flow so the blades can grab more air effectively. Then there is the ultra tight fan tip to shroud clearance, or the inner surface microstructures, and the very mounting designed to cushion the whole thing in soft silicone to limit noise and vibration transmission.

This particualr fan is designed for both good airflow with little to no restriction, and also be quite effective when it is forcing air through a restriction, a pusher style fan. They have fans designed more for one or the other.

Do the radiator electric fans employ any design similarities as these Noctua's, I can't really say, I've yet to fondle one.

I do think the whole automotive engine fan design could be vasty improved upon.

With the computer fan comparison, I have many such fans. Some of them consume 2x as much electricity to move the same amount of air, with no restriction and 1/4 the air if there is a restriction and this is all accomplishe with better electric motor design and the shape of the fan blades. Surely there is a lot of cross over.

Each 25 amps an alternator has to make is said to consume 1 HP from the engine, so a high power electric fan told to be spinning fast, is still putting a load on the engine. As much as a metal fan attached to water pump through a viscous coupling? Likely not.

I've not really read good things about electric radiator fan longevity, which is one reason I have not pursued adding one, and I am also bit of an impeller design snob.

Moving air might be fine and dandy with an angled flat plans spinning on an axis, but I want a nicely shaped foil with an outline designed either to scavenge air in a puller scenario, or push it against resistance, and I do not think anyone has bothered refining designs to have excellent airflow characteristics for lesser amperage consumption at lesser RPMS and making less noise in the process. i think they just rely on availability of sheer RPM, and heck with efficiency of design.

So if it seems little more advanced than the stock flat metal angle bladed metal fan, devoid of an airfoil, I'll leave it stock. for now.
7 141 Read More
craigslist Findings
4 hours ago
Looks like some nice vintage parts inside.
1 94 Read More
craigslist Findings
4 hours ago
I like the interior parts...
1 82 Read More
craigslist Findings
4 hours ago
Pretty nice looking.
1 48 Read More
craigslist Findings
4 hours ago
A100s are good looking vans...but the conversion to square headlamps, and over-sized square grill....not so much.
2 84 Read More
Readers Rides
6 hours ago
I agree my '92 has them N my '93 doesnt .... easier to get in the '92
5 144 Read More
Generic How To .....
6 hours ago
My Dogs would love to come over and gnaw those door seals right on down into submission. No problem. Won't take long either! It's truly a rugged look too. shocked
13 225 Read More
How to....
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
I am looking to lift my van a few inch and was wondering if someone would know what spring could raise my 1978 g15 vandura 3 inch or so

Also I want tonset up a solar panel and was wondering if any of you allready set up one and if so what you used

Thanks
0 11 Read More
eBay Sightings
Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Nice, that interior is super clean.
2 61 Read More
Readers Rides
Yesterday at 08:53 PM
Sweet Van
9 265 Read More
Introduce Yourself.....
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Marcela
Originally Posted by newkirkinc1
welcome to the site. Good to have ya aboard. You will get used to it lol

Originally Posted by newkirkinc1
welcome to the site. Good to have ya aboard. You will get used to it lol

Thanks. I never realized how difficult it would be to dismount.

Maybe tilt the wheel up and try to get used to driving it that way. I did that.
I find it difficult to go from the drivers seat to the back without going outside. Not the best design I guess but its a small thing.
55 1,358 Read More
eBay Sightings
Yesterday at 04:38 PM
0 31 Read More
Wanted., Member only Section
Yesterday at 03:42 PM
I sold it to buy a '69 C20 Suburban. Guy that bought van shipped it to Amsterdam to resell. I still have assorted parts from cab forward. Along with the 2 seat bases. Cost of shipping bases killed the deal.
6 216 Read More
General Discussion
Yesterday at 03:36 PM
Quite the project! Glad to see the progress continues.
You have considerable skills and determination and we look forward to seeing updates.
87 5,644 Read More
General Discussion
Yesterday at 02:41 PM
they seem to be pretty thin on the ground.
thanks for looking guys.
5 202 Read More
General Discussion
Yesterday at 01:40 PM
It's not a great idea to keep track of how much you have into a vehicle unless you are keeping records for an appraised insurance policy or something.. The more I think about the $ spent, the more depressing it gets lol.
13 1,846 Read More
Upholstery and Interior mods
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
hi, now that i have my new carpet and the front seats are redone I`d like to do something like a centre console between the seats, it`ll have to be low enuff so the seats can still swivel round.
I thought I`d do it in pine same as I did with the drink holders and table.
Has anyone done this and would you share the design with me
cheers and thatnks.
0 18 Read More
craigslist Findings
Yesterday at 03:59 AM
No it's not mine. I'm a tourist at this point and vanless. I've been searching for one again lately for traveling/camping/hauling crap home from localish swap meats etc but something keeps coming up that's more important than me owning another vehicle so i'm even more hesitant now to bite the bullet.

It's truly in amazing shape for the price if the undercarriage work etc has actually been done as they say. It's just not my style as you say.
3 223 Read More
General Discussion
Yesterday at 03:12 AM
Hey the pic's are all gone can ya post a few pic's on how it looks like now ?

Love the travel stories .... drivin with a screwdriver in the carb LOL

Having your girl pour gas in the carb for 300 miles . ....
60 27,042 Read More
General Discussion
Yesterday at 02:51 AM
STILL RATFMAO ! Just because we dont know what its is

gonna have to have a Safety Meeting over this lol o lolo ol olo
18 3,114 Read More
General Discussion
Yesterday at 02:33 AM
I run BFG's on both of my vans ..... always have always will love that tire
59 17,041 Read More
Clubs/Vanners
February 20th 2019 11:59 pm
That's great and congrats!
1 38 Read More
For Sale, Member only Section
February 20th 2019 11:56 pm
Good luck with it.
1 113 Read More
Readers Rides
February 20th 2019 11:51 pm
Looking sweet.
59 4,862 Read More
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 0 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kyle_Bryant, MCM_James, Mike1, 76GDubb, VanDubs
10754 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
frscke1 86
CatFish 57
Lister 31
Wedgy 30
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,341