Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Official 2014 Van Nationals thread. - 42nd National Truckin, Greenwich, NY July 16-20, 2014
by Tequila
Replacement ladder mount/bracket for Chevy conversion van?
by Uncle_Fester
New to vanning
by HonestRansy
Jokes Thread
by DrBob
Guess the 2014 Nationals attendance.
by Steel_City_Stax
My Humble Opinion As To Vanning After Being Absent For 25 YEARS:
by HonestRansy
03:05 PM
Mid Econoline site down
by mrtoni
03:01 PM
B200 Issue
by Reed
02:46 PM
The ultimate custom camper.
by shaggy
02:09 PM
Road Map or GPS
by Goose111
12:37 PM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#314494 - August 02nd 2009 5:10 pm Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: Snotty]
PYSCHOWard Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: NW Pa
Originally Posted By: Snotty
I didnt take many pics of the construction of the bed, however if you look at this one you can see how I have them layed out for Strength of the bed... I may be able to get under there and take some better pics for ya...

My bed looks like this,but i added center support.I then ordered an air mattress from Amazon with remote control, it is 54x74, it works Great.
New 4 Seasons Criuser, 74 B100, The Night Train
Member of the Toopa Sinner Tribe

#314507 - August 02nd 2009 5:24 pm Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: acreativename]
RatVanMike Offline
addict

Loc: Loganville, Georgia
I am building mine big enough to use a queen size mattress.

#314508 - August 02nd 2009 5:28 pm Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: PYSCHOWard]
Snotty Offline

Loc: Shillington PA
Originally Posted By: PYSCHOWard
Originally Posted By: Snotty
I didnt take many pics of the construction of the bed, however if you look at this one you can see how I have them layed out for Strength of the bed... I may be able to get under there and take some better pics for ya...

My bed looks like this,but i added center support.I then ordered an air mattress from Amazon with remote control, it is 54x74, it works Great.

The reason I didnt use a center support is because I store my full size spare under the bed, I did however double up the support 2x3s in the center of the bed...

Keith Snotty LeVan
link to Moon Lite Vans Inc.
http://moonlitevans.blogspot.com
Co-Host 1996 Van Nationals
Co-Host 2005 Van Nationals
Co-Host 2009 Van Nationals
PennsylVANia Van Council
http://www.vannin.com/threads/ubbthreads...html#Post110506

#315014 - August 03rd 2009 5:52 pm Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: Snotty]
PYSCHOWard Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: NW Pa
I wanted to take the spare off the back door and put it under the bed, but my wife had back surgery, she wanted to make sure
it was Strong enough. I really didn't like the fact that the mattress would've been a 1/3 of the way up the window too. I would love to have that much interior space, but only on camping trips.
New 4 Seasons Criuser, 74 B100, The Night Train
Member of the Toopa Sinner Tribe

#315295 - August 04th 2009 10:31 am Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: PYSCHOWard]
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Offline
Vanner

Loc: Burlington, On, Canada Eh !!!!
Just a thought...If you take the spare off the rear door in a shorty, and put it under the bed, you will lose a lot of storage inside, then you will end up stumbling around over clothes coolers etc all weekend .......

My van is a LB so I have more storage room under the bed.

My bed is lightweight, built on a 2 x 4 and 2 x 3 frame with 1/2 inch plywood. It has a front and a rear section, the front big enough for the twin Colemans and the back deep enough for 2 rows of supplies, tools and first aid kit...It also uses the wheelwells and divider for extra strength. It can be removed in 10 minutes as every thing is screwed together.

It is also just high enough to clear the cooler, and so I can sit on the bed without bending my neck, which is also hard on the back. My head is under the roof vent when sitting erect.

The mattress is a covered layered foam core made by Royal Mattress in Ontario and is 48 x 60 .........I have no problem sleeping in with a bad back and knee

Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers

#315304 - August 04th 2009 10:50 am Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: keystonekid1978]
josh_performanceinc Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Leesburg NJ
Originally Posted By: keystonekid1978
I'd like to build a platform bed for my van, something simple that can be easily removed if necessary. My thought is to use a sheet of 1/2" ply cut to roughly 4 feet long and the width of my van from inside wall to inside wall. Should I use 2x4 to build a frame under it? Is a simple square frame enough, or should I brace it underneath? Can I use the rear wheelwells to support the platform in the front, or should I use 2x4 legs front and back? I have some rough plans drawn up, but I'd like to know what works and what doesn't before I dig in. Pics would be especially helpful, my guidance counselors always told me I'm more of a "visual learner". lol.

How removable do you want it? Why not get the bed frame out of a conversion and modify the top to accept your mattress plans?

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#317858 - August 12th 2009 1:59 am Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: josh_performanceinc]
Uncle_Fester Offline
Festerus Vannimus

Loc: On Route 66 in Bethany Oklahom...
I HAVE NOT read all this thread.... hell, I ma have posted already! lol

I read about a cool bed a guy built , he bolted a 2X6 to each side wall the length of the bed he wanted to make, before mounting the boards thou, he cut notches every 12" 1x1 on the top edge so he could set 1x1 steel tubing in the notches as cross supports, then set plywood on top of it all for the base... then his mattress on that... worked great and gave the most underbed storage as the supports where so thin compared to using 2x4s

here is a link to the artical, hope it discribes it better than I did! lol

linky

1)The 1991 Dodge B250, J.Y.D.

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !

#322810 - August 29th 2009 8:52 am Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: Uncle_Fester]
StormyMonday Offline
journeyman

Loc: Harrisburg, Pa, USA

I designed the sub box (3/4 MDF) to act as the front support and match the height of the tops of the wheel wells. A small frame was mounted on top & covered with 3/4 plywood. The back was used stricly for storage. Easily holding a hydraulic jack, spare & room for other supplies. 2 Amplifiers, an active crossover, 6 disc changer and 1100 CCA optima deep cycle fit as well. Doing the wiring was alittle cumbersome, but is neatly out of harm's way. Here's a pick when I was working on the wiring -

Instead of carpet, I covered the floor in the (diamond plate patterned) gridded foam padding you can by for a gym / shop floor. It cleaned it up very nicely & gave an almosy non-skip surface.

Pops is a wood guy & did the frame / piano hinge door to mathch the rest of the wood work.

Nothing new, just a little different.

#322817 - August 29th 2009 9:32 am Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: StormyMonday]
matchstickBGV Offline

Loc: louisville, ky
You know I had an old bunk bed that I slept on at home for a long time that had 1x2 slats as the support and a frame and I never came crashing through that. I guess it makes sense if you have a mattress that fits right over it, but you could just lay plywood over that. Just throwing ideas out there from an actual bed. Uncle blaino said he built his bed out of 1x1 and 1x2s. I believe it. It's just like a bridge the important part is the superstructure (supports underneath) it doesn't take 2x6s to make it sturdy. A lot of bridges use triangles as it's the strongest shape for that sort of thing. Not sure how that would work on a bed but you get the idea.

#322823 - August 29th 2009 10:06 am Re: Platform bed plans? Ideas? [Re: matchstickBGV]
Suzie-BGfNY-IN Offline
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.

Loc: Franklin, IN USA
After years of judging 'fluffy nests' in VANs--I have learned and tried to impress upon you all the importance of the bed-to-ceiling ratio in proportion to the length of the legs of the persons using said bed (usually the female measurement!) laugh

The one in the Red Flamingo is on 1x6s and plywood--center support--open underneath and off to the left is a slot that runs the length of the bed frame to hold tarp poles! Lots of storage, poles don't roll around and I have a real mattress in my VAN--the long way, no foam for me!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Snotty 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
1 registered (Tequila), 8 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mkycnfxt, Big_D, Rene, NoFNWayJose, josh_sasse
7859 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 96
Reed 92
HighwayStar 87
newkirkinc1 82
Captain_E 74
al55 72
jules73 70