Vannin' Home
Posted By: Reed 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 10th 2011 9:49 pm
Anybody done kingpin replacement on a 75-91 E-150? How hard is it to do yourself? My 89 needs new ones. I got them from Moog, but need to know if I should try to do them myself or take them in to a shop to have it done. The first shop I took the van to won't touch them.

Can I do kingpins myself? I have a 12 ton arbor press...
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 11th 2011 2:57 am
I have no idea on this one. . . . but this will bump it up for ya.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 11th 2011 5:25 am
Two more shops, two more declinations.
Posted By: maples01 Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 11th 2011 7:34 am
Depends on their condition, my 75 F-100 required a flame wrench, was almost to the point the I-beam needed to be replaced as it was siezed, pin, brass and beam, but the guy at the garage managed, cost over a grand to completely rebuild the front end.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 11th 2011 3:41 pm
Yikes. THe first shop said the rest of the front end components were fine, but the kingpins were worn. I have a complete kingpin replacement set from Moog that includes new bushings, pins, washers, Zerk fittings, the works. The way it is looking I might end up haveing to pull the I-beams and doing it myself. I actually wouldn't mind doing this too much since it would give me a chance to replace the original pivot bushings on the I-beams.
Posted By: LostSheep Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 11th 2011 4:51 pm
Looks like that might be ewer only option..... frown
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 11th 2011 8:46 pm
Yeah, I am just getting to the age when I no longer relish rolling around on the cold cement on my back.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 12th 2011 5:23 am
okay, I talked to a buddy of mine, he is a diesel mech and he say take it to a BIG RIG repair shop as almost all big rigs run King Pin set ups, so they know how to do it right. He says a RV shop might be a good idea too. . . .

Good luck and keep us posted.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 12th 2011 3:55 pm
Thanks. There are a few semi shops in my town since Tacoma is a big port city. There are also lots of RV shops. I will call around and see if I can't someone who does it.
Posted By: maples01 Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 13th 2011 5:30 am
Mine refused to take grease, turns required you to recenter the wheel, didn't return on it's own, they were severely thrashed, I'm glad my 99 has ball joints tho.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 13th 2011 3:35 pm
Yeah, I like ball joints better. My 83 Dodge van has a smoother ride and is easier to steer than the 89 Ford. The Dodge uses ball joints but the Ford kingpins. Ugh. I just know I am going to end up doing this myself.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 13th 2011 5:07 pm
From what I've seen out in the shop they are a pain inthe butt to replace
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 13th 2011 8:22 pm
Yep, that is what I am afraid of. I think I will try replacing them myself and if I can't do it with my 12 ton arbor press I will take it to a shop.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 13th 2011 8:33 pm
Yea it's worth a try,Good Luck
Posted By: maples01 Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 15th 2011 5:39 am
Would be cool if you could swap in a late model beam that uses ball joints.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 15th 2011 4:32 pm
Hmmmmmm. Why do you tempt me with such ideas? Hmmmmmmmm......
Posted By: maples01 Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 17th 2011 8:18 am
There are drop I beams for late models, not the tubular junk, but actual beams, they have ball joints, I'd love them on my 99, but I don't have $600 to purchase them, require bagging my rear as extended can't be dropped without risk of dragging.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 17th 2011 3:33 pm
I don't want to lower the van. One of the things I like about vans is how high they are and how good the visibility is. Plus, $600 is about $500 more than I want to spend on this. I think I will keep it stock for now.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 25th 2011 5:01 am
Yay! I found a shop that works on semis that will do my kingpins. Cool beans.
Posted By: maples01 Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 25th 2011 6:19 am
They can bend the beams to correct your camber, most shops can't, they just suggest replacement of coils and everything, and hope that fixes it.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 25th 2011 9:30 am
I'm glad to hear this. . . . and really glad my suggestion helped out.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 25th 2011 4:17 pm
The only problem with the steering is it is a bit sloppy. I had one shop I trust check it out and they said all the components were fine except the kingpins. Before I go so far as to get into bending stuff, I am going to see if the kingpins alone fix the problem. I will also see if they can replace the pivot bushings while they are in there.

And, yeah, thanks Fester!
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - June 25th 2011 5:16 pm
Originally Posted by Reed
And, yeah, thanks Fester!

yay grin Glad I was able to help ! grin yay
Posted By: OldSkoolVan Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - April 25th 2012 1:59 am
So what ever came of this? I ask because I ordered all new front end steering parts for mine and pick them up tomorrow.

Was just going to replace the leaking and sticking steering gear box but it led to one thing after another that either broke or was loose and wobbly so I figured I would just R&R everything. Hell, the rag joint fell apart when I took it out. That's scary
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - April 25th 2012 5:54 am
Has anyone done the poly bushings on the front? You can get the whole setup for like $100. Might be well worth it.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - April 25th 2012 6:04 am
Sorry I didn't update this.

I had the whole front suspension rebuilt. All bushings, kingpins, etc... The steering was better, but still had a bad dead spot. I drove it like that for about eight months before breaking down and installing a rebuilt steering gearbox from Redhead gears in Seattle. The steering is tight now, but I am fairly certain the van needs to get a good alignment. I may yet need to get the arms bent, but that will be my last resort.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 05th 2013 4:00 am
I&^@^#(!%#)!@$#%!!!!! I have been driving the van for a while now after the alleged front end rebuild. Everything is supposed to be new from the end of the steering column shaft out to the wheels. I replaced the gearbox myself and paid a shop to rebuild the rest of the front end with Moog parts I supplied. The steering has always felt sloppy and off ever since the "rebuild." Today, I went out and on a whim I tried rocking the top of the passenger tires back and forth. There is about 1/8 of an inch in-and-out play on the top of the tire and an audible clicking sound. Somebody ripped me off and didn't do their job right. Looks like I will be having to pay someone else to rebuild the front suspension, again. At the very least it will need new kingpins.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 05th 2013 3:56 pm
NO! I remember all the trouble you had finding someone to do it before. . . . Best of luck brother!
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 05th 2013 5:39 pm
Thanks. I'm pretty bummed about this. Already my van needs a new cruise control cable, it has a huge transmission leak, the front doors are starting to leak water, the engine hasn't run perfect for a long time, and the paint is really showing its age. I am almost to the point of cutting my losses and looking for a new van. I won't know until I can spend some time carefully inspecting the front end and seeing what's what. The driver's side appears to actually be OK, but I need to take the wheel off and really inspect everything before i confirm any diagnosis. Crap.
Posted By: VanLoon Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 06th 2013 3:23 am
Check your front wheel bearings, a lot (too many) dont know how to clean,pack or assemble them. If they did the pins they removed the rotors. You would be suprised how many cars are running dry front bearings,loose bearings after having brake shops redo their brakes.

I was told by an old timer (guy that did all mine years ago)that did king pins since the late 50s that they need to be reamed to fit the pins.

If you grease them from the bottom and it moves , the pin is loose and or worn .
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 06th 2013 4:53 am
Thanks. The wheel bearings were the one thing that I didn't tell the shop to replace. I will go ahead and replace all four and repack them. I will also hit all the Zerk fittings with some grease and check for play in the allegedly new kingpins.

Posted By: CatFish Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 06th 2013 3:52 pm
Checked my '88 last summer and the king pins were still good. It's close to 120K miles so I guess it could be called low mileage.
Once those bronze kingpin bushings are pressed in place it's easy to get in a hurry and hone them too large and you can't put the metal back. Honing and checking, hone a little more and check again and again is time consuming and getting it right requires someone who really cares about the quality of their work.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 06th 2013 5:16 pm
That's the problem- finding someone who cares about their work. I only found two shops where I live who even did this kind of work, and I chose the one closer to me, not the one that was recommended. I think I am paying the price for that now. I never got a good vibe from the place I went to.
Posted By: CatFish Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 06th 2013 7:36 pm
Good ol' Sunnen Machine video.
(I prefer actual measurements to "feel" but it depends on the operators experience I guess.) I like the fact he doesn't trust a reamer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0-vPhRuCo
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 06th 2013 8:09 pm
Thanks for that video! I wish I had access to and knowledge of how to use machining tools. If I find that it is more than just worn wheel bearings, I may pull both front axles and take them both out to the same machine shop that I take engines to. I would also trust a hone much more than a reamer, and I would trust actual measurements than a premanufactured tool. Ugh.
Posted By: NateB Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 24th 2013 5:29 pm
I had a shop tell me a I needed new upper ball joints (they were only 5 years old). So I replaced them myself with MOOG parts only to find that my wheel bearings were shot! Dammit I was pissed.

I guess the "mechanic" saw movement in the wheel and diagnosed it as bad ball joints.
Posted By: Reed Re: 89 E-150 kingpin replacement - January 24th 2013 10:12 pm
I still have my fingers crossed that the problem is wheel bearings. However, the wandering steering has taken a back seat to fixing the transmission, oil, and radiator fluid leaks that have suddenly appeared and figuring out why the motor suddenly started running like crap. Argh. To top it off it has been too freaking cold and I have been too freaking busy with work to do any wrenching on the van. Grumble grumble whine whine.... I'll get to it one of these days.
© Vannin' Community and Forums