Vannin' Home
Posted By: mrmattvan Help me I.D this hose please. - January 03rd 2012 9:46 pm
I have looked up,down,left and right and i still can not figure out what this hose connects to...i gotta be missing something.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 03rd 2012 10:22 pm
It's the secondary air injector pump inlet hose
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 03rd 2012 10:25 pm
I crossed the number in your pic to
F5UZ-9S449-C
Sorry but Ford has discontinued that hose.
I'll try to scan you a pic from my parts catalog tonight
Posted By: mrmattvan Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 03rd 2012 11:05 pm
Originally Posted by Wizard78
I crossed the number in your pic to
F5UZ-9S449-C
Sorry but Ford has discontinued that hose.
I'll try to scan you a pic from my parts catalog tonight

WOOOHOOO! Thank you!!!! The hose itself is a-ok..i just could not for the life of me figure out where/what it connected to.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 04th 2012 3:25 am
Here you go

[Linked Image]
Posted By: maples01 Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 04th 2012 9:49 am
Air injection, hilarious concept auto manufactures had, reminds me of the heaters from early vehicles, the exhaust was run inside the cabin, no one complained of being cold for long.
Posted By: mrmattvan Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 06th 2012 1:54 am
I have seen on ford forums where people have bypassed that pump...Is that a wise thing to do?
Posted By: NateB Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 06th 2012 12:35 pm
Originally Posted by maples01
Air injection, hilarious concept auto manufactures had, reminds me of the heaters from early vehicles, the exhaust was run inside the cabin, no one complained of being cold for long.

Volkswagen anyone? LOL!

How about the early Corvairs with gasoline heaters? Yikes!!!
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 06th 2012 3:01 pm
Originally Posted by mrmattvan
I have seen on ford forums where people have bypassed that pump...Is that a wise thing to do?

If you live in a state that has inspections, you don't want to bypass it as the van will not pass.

Posted By: CatFish Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 06th 2012 3:10 pm
I removed the air injection entirely.
The 5.8s in the E250/E350 didn't have it. They ran a idler pulley in place of the pump. That's were I got my pulley and just removed the rest.
There's no visual inspection during emissions testing here and the old Ford passes just fine without it.

Picture of the pump replacement idler:
[Linked Image]

Edit: Ken's right, if where you live, they look to see if the factory equipment is in place as part of the inspection then it has to be there.
Posted By: mrmattvan Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 07th 2012 3:26 am
Thanks for the feed back!

We don't have inspections down here...yet...

I guess i will leave it on until it dies. i don't know if its close to poopin out but the pulley looks a little wobbly..I don't hear a grind or any thing. I have priced them at around 75$ new online.

Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 07th 2012 5:06 am
Do you have a catalytic converter in place? If so I'd leave the air pump on. Working in conjunction with the catalytic converter an air pump reduces hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in your exhaust. Without a catalytic converter, an air pump would serve little purpose...

Despite opinions you'll hear in abundance, an air pump only consumes about 1 Hp. As an example to compare this against, common vintage air conditioner compressors might consume 8-15 Hp. Unfortunately my Dodge is in the 12-15 Hp crowd with my antiquated RV-2 v-twin compressor... modern 3hp rotary or scroll compressors like a Sanden are in my dreams!

People who claim magical improvements in performance by removing air pumps typically removed them and a bunch of other parts at the same time when they had far more serious problems and were casting about for solutions which they could do in a hurry and on the cheap, like removing things they didn't understand or couldn't test properly from the engine.
Posted By: mrmattvan Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 07th 2012 4:13 pm
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
Do you have a catalytic converter in place? If so I'd leave the air pump on. Working in conjunction with the catalytic converter an air pump reduces hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in your exhaust. Without a catalytic converter, an air pump would serve little purpose...

Despite opinions you'll hear in abundance, an air pump only consumes about 1 Hp. As an example to compare this against, common vintage air conditioner compressors might consume 8-15 Hp. Unfortunately my Dodge is in the 12-15 Hp crowd with my antiquated RV-2 v-twin compressor... modern 3hp rotary or scroll compressors like a Sanden are in my dreams!

People who claim magical improvements in performance by removing air pumps typically removed them and a bunch of other parts at the same time when they had far more serious problems and were casting about for solutions which they could do in a hurry and on the cheap, like removing things they didn't understand or couldn't test properly from the engine.

Thanks for the info! I do have my cat in place. Its crazy that older ac compressors take up that much hp!

Posted By: CatFish Re: Help me I.D this hose please. - January 07th 2012 7:19 pm
Originally Posted by Ram4ever

??
I didn't think I claimed any horsepower gains........?
I removed the air pump because the bearing was bad and the piping had a hole where it met the exhaust pipe. The van passes emissions here with flying colors even without the older vehicle allowance (it's an '88). I think a vehicle with EFI/EEC gets very limited emissions benefit from the air injection anyway or so I've seen (based on the years it has tested before and after).
© Vannin' Community and Forums